“Very Good Overall” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 84 Hotels in Bristol
Cushendall, United Kingdom
“Very Good Overall”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

Stayed in this hotel for the first time in February this year. It is located very central in Bristol, close to all shops. Nicely situated by the river, the hotel has very comfortable rooms, excellent bathrooms, and everywhere is clean! Staff are friendly! One problem was the low staffing in the bar, where the bar person also seemed to be serving the restaurant. On several occasions I had to wait TOO LONG to get served in the bar. On one occasion I left before getting served - there was no one around!!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
IFrance, General Manager at Mercure Bristol Brigstow Hotel, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Thanks for your feedback! Glad you had a good stay! Just to let you know for next time,
book online on our own Mercure web site, where we promote our City Breaks deals in addition you will also be eligible for points with our loyalty program 'Le Club' Iain France - General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
  • Greek first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

Lovely room, great breakfast, good service. I was in Bristol for a conference, and the reception was helpful with a map, and by calling a taxi. The room was spacious, the bed comfortable, good shower.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

IFrance, General Manager at Mercure Bristol Brigstow Hotel, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Many thanks for your kind words. I’m glad my team made your stay enjoyable. If you want
to come back and stay with us again, remember to book on our own Mercure web site to get the best rates available and also be aligible for points with our loyalty program ' Le Club' Iain France - General Manager
Manchester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

This Hotel is a solid three star hotel all day long. Everything from the price, decor, service, level of finish and standards. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. It is what it is.
The problem is that it markets itself as a four star. Without sounding like a hotel snob I have been lucky enough to stay in some proper four and five star hotels both at home and abroad. So I know what four star standards are. Having said that the two main things I look for when booking a hotel are Location and value for money.
When I found this hotel I thought great price for a four star in a great location. Brilliant bargain. However when I got there and found I was getting an average three star for the price of the very top end three star. It got my back up. Instead of feeling like I had got a bargain I felt cheated, and it made me pick up on all the little things that don't make this a four star hotel and just seem expensive. The cold tap leaking in the bathroom, air conditioning that just blows hot air even when set at 10degrees, damaged furniture that is looking tired and tatty, dirty marks down the walls, an odd arrangement of light switches, no water in the room, very poor wifi that hardly works, half of the items from the in room breakfast missing, a TV that half the picture is missing because it is not widescreen. The list goes on. Individually they are not very much but they all build up to the little touches that make a hotel move up to the next level, stand out. Having said all that if the hotel had been sold to me as a three star and the price been tiny bit lower I probably wouldn't have noticed half of the problems or at least accepted them a bit more. By all means book this hotel it's a good hotel in a great location but just don't expect four star quality.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
IFrance, Front Office Manager at Mercure Bristol Brigstow Hotel, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Really sorry to hear that your stay wasn’t up to your expectations on this occasion in particular your concern that we are not a four star property, please be assured that we are assessed each year by the AA who award us with this category for the product and service that we offer. Iain France - General Manager
wiltshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

Stayed here for 1 night in April.
Previously had a good experience.
This time the room I had was in poor condition. Safe did not work and the bathroom was in a poor state. Many cracked tiles (some with sharp edges). Handle in bath loose and feels like it might come away. Shower sealant coming away and mouldy.
The location is good but whether or not this room was particularly bad I do not know. I could not be bothered to ask to be moved for one night. I did inform staff of the room condition it was room 304.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
IFrance, General Manager at Mercure Bristol Brigstow Hotel, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Thank you for your comments and as explained in my response directly to you after you completed our hotel survey, I can assure you the matter is being looked in to and will
be dealt with accordingly. Kind regards, Iain France - General Manager
Salisbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

Stayed here for 1 night, a few days ago. Excellent location for exploring the city, I loved the fact the river was outside the sliding windows. I had brought a bottle of bourbon with me so needed some ice, the bar lady was more then happy to provide me with a bucket of ice with 2 glasses on a tray. Up in the room, was nicely decorated, not the biggest (superior) but comfortable, I made use of the ironing board with iron. The bathroom was also compact but had a separate shower and bath, shower water pressure was a bit low and there was only one towel. Breakfast was really good, provided as a buffet, I had a full english which was superb. Also plenty of cereals and fruit, not to mention pastries.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind comments and compliments – I am delighted that you enjoyed your
stay and look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Kind regards, Iain France -General Manager
oswestry, england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

We stayed overnight for a gig and left early so we didn't have much time to enjoy our room, but it was clean comfortable, loads of room, a big bathroom with shower and bath, TV, everything you'd want for a good stopover. It also had a really comfortable bed and luxurious pillows, which makes all the difference. Good location, parking nearby, cannot fault it. Well, the taps in the sink were a bit fierce, I got a bit soaked when trying to fill my glass, but everything else was perfect ! And we paid £42, so superb value.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
IFrance, General Manager at Mercure Bristol Brigstow Hotel, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Glad you had a good time! Hope to see you again and remember you will always find our best rates and deals available on our own Mercure web site in addition to being elligible for points with our loyalty program 'Le Club'. Kind regards, Iain France - General Manager
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

Husband and I were booked in on a 5 night stay. Upon arrival after a very long (From Boston) day of travel, we were told that we were having our room upgraded because there was a problem with our original booking. The fellow behind the desk didn't specify what the issue was, I assume something like they didn't have the room type I requested. I was more than happy to have an upgrade to the premium room, especially because we didn't even have to ask!

The room was very nice. Stylish, comfy, a good size for two, with a nice river view. The aircon could have been a bit better, but my husband (A Brit) tells me that the British just don't do AC all that well. Other than that, the room was grand. A lovely big tub with a TV for me to lounge around in, too.

We didn't eat at the hotel, so I can't speak to the food. We did spend a good amount of time in the lounge having evening drinks and afternoon tea or coffee. I have to say - the tea and coffee service is great. A well prepared mug of tea of French press of coffee, laid out nicely with biscuits. A really nice little touch.

Location is great. Bristol is a great city for exploring on foot, and the hotel is at a perfect starting point. On the weekend nights, we could hear a little bit of noise from the folks down on Welsh Back, but nothing to bothersome.

We would certainly stay here again, and I'm actually intent on seeking out Mercure hotels to stay in when we travel from now on, following a horrible experience with another chain after we left Bristol.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
IFrance, General Manager at Mercure Bristol Brigstow Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we shall certainly look forward to your next visit. Remember to always check out the Mercure web site directly for the best rates guaranteed including city breaks in addition you will also be elligible for points with out 'le Club' loyalty program. Kind regards, Iain France - General Manager

Been to Mercure Bristol Brigstow Hotel? Share your experiences!