“Delicious authentic Indian food” 5 of 5 stars

54-56 Bedminster Parade | Bedminster, Bristol BS3 4HS, England
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Ganesha Authentic Indian Cuisine is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #28 of 1,460 Restaurants in Bristol
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Takeout, Delivery, Late Night
Description: Priding itself on being 100% true to its Indian roots, Bedminster���s Ganesha Authentic Indian Cuisine is a family run restaurant providing high quality food and efficiently friendly service. Set in the Bedminster suburb of Bristol, Ganesha offers a menu completely different to other Indian restaurants in the region, offering guests true Indian food from home recipes. With a selection of dishes from all parts of India, the Ganesha menu takes you on a unique culinary journey, on which you���ll sample exciting food you may never have heard of and certainly won���t have tried here in Bristol, from handmade breads to appropriately spiced curried fish dishes. Combining efficiency and friendliness, Ganesha���s service is second to none while the simple d��cor of the dining room is focused on comfort and space, the furnishings contemporary and sleek with nods to the restaurant���s roots in Indian artworks including a statue of the revered elephant god himself situated behind the bar.
“Delicious authentic Indian food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

These guys offer many dishes you won't find in a typical British-version-of-Indian curry house.

For a starter my friends and I devoured some dosas - Indian pancakes made of rice flour and daal flour, which you use to mop up a sauce called sambhar that's flavoured with tamarind, as well as a coconut chutney.

The Goan fish masala had to be the highlight of dishes
I shared dishes with friends for the main course. It had unusual and delicious flavours, including my favourite Indian spice, the curry leaf!

Another highlight was bhagara baigan, a wet aubergine dish, which scored points with me as I can't stand aubergines when they're undercooked and spongey, but love them when they melt in the mouth. These were cooked to perfection and the flavour worked well with the peanutty sauce.

The staff were lovely. I'll definitely go again and I'll also continue to use them for takeaways (they're on the Just Eat web site if you like ordering food that way.)

Visited April 2013

Bristol, United Kingdom
“Never again!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

Visited this Indian a couple of times. Everytime the waiter decided to order our starter for us without consulting us first. Food was ok, had better, had worse. The worse thing about this place is how high the prices are! The last time we visited there were 12 of us, and the bill came to well over £300!! Have never visited an Indian where the bill has been that much, even with larger groups. Will never be back here.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Ganesha_Bristol, Owner at Ganesha Authentic Indian Cuisine, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Hello Jess.

To start with I totally disagree with what you wrote about Ganesha.

The fact that you have visited us three times proves that you definitely like our food. It’s been 3 years that we have altered our prices. I am sure you would have visited us, the two times before, in these 3 years. So, you know about our prices already.

As you know, we provide high quality food. There is no doubt about it. You have commented about the prices. Just to judge, after what you have written, I have started trying Indian food at various restaurants in Bristol in the last 3 weeks. I have visited 7 restaurants in total and I can proudly say that our portions are much bigger than almost all these other places. Moreover, our prices are also much reasonable when compared to most of these restaurants. So, I am surprised to see your comment about the prices.

Our aim is to provide authentic Indian cuisine with a very good service there by giving a very memorable experience to people who come to Ganesha and spend money.

As we are offering authentic food from India, we regularly recommend and suggest starters and mains to our customers. That's our job. As I said above, the pure intention in doing this is our customer's happiness.

Therefore, I do not agree with you that we have ordered for you in this instance. We just recommend. This is how we have been working since last 5 years. So, I am sure you would have experienced the same in your last two visits. You still decided to visit Ganesha as you know that our food quality is second to none.

You can happily have a very good meal for under £10 and you can also spend £30 for a meal. It all depends on what you order. I am pretty sure that you would have ordered your starters, mains and ofcourse drinks only after looking at the prices on the menu. You are charged only for what you eat and drink. Then why on earth are you cribbing about massive bill.

It is a fact that we cook everything from scratch. Our customers do know about this and so they come prepared as they know we are really working very hard to provide quality food here.

As soon as people arrive we ask them for the drinks and also go through explaining our menu because our menu is completely different to what you generally see in this country.

We are definitely friendly. We would want to build a relationship with our customers. We try very hard to give our customers a very good experience at Ganesha. We are not embarrassed at all with our service that night as, according to me, we did our best to give a better service and food on to your table.

Customer service and satisfaction is our topmost priority. So, therefore, the last thing we want is to dissatisfy our customers who spend time and also money at Ganesha.

We are all, here, trying our best to make our customers feel that they have had spent a quality time at Ganesha. We not only are working hard in providing authentic Indian cuisine but also are trying to provide a very good service.

I proudly say that we provide a very high quality food and service. It's unfortunate that you did not appreciate this.

We just did our job as usual and we served according to how you ordered and billed you for what you ate and drank.

Thanks & Regards,
Prasad Vanka
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
“Attentive, welcoming and knowledgable service with fresh tasty food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

We went for a pre theatre meal at 6pm on Saturday night. The waiter was very welcoming and knowledgable; the food quality was very good (although to be fair portion sizes and cost were not the best I've experienced). It's great to be able to try things from a menu with different dishes. I think the automatic service charge is unnecessary and I think detailed cleaning could be improved (walls, floor, gents). But we couldn't have asked for a warmer welcome and yhe service of food was quick. We would recommend and consider returning if local.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Impromptu meal for 4”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Our first visit. We enjoyed a fab meal, without booking on a Saturday night. Service could have been a tad quicker, and the toilets were a bit of a let down, compared to the restaurant.
Enjoyed the recommended dishes, from the knowledgeable waiter, including the bottle of Indian Cabernet Sauvignon.
Friendly, relaxed atmosphere. Will definitely go there again.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Very very good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

I don't normally write reviews, but this is one of the best Indian restaurants I have been to in the UK (the other being the Lahore Kebab House in London). This restaurant provides authentic indian food which is reasonably priced.

• Visited January 2013