“Enjoyable, affordable, excellent service” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #581 of 1,460 Restaurants in Bristol
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
Description: Serving temptingly fresh and flavoursome creations from world-famous chef Jamie Oliver, Jamie's Italian Birmingham evokes the vibrancy and passion embedded in traditional Italian cooking and culture. A homely neighbourhood vibe is inspired by the rustic and relaxed ambience of the 'Italian table', with delicious flavours from the menu including truffled turkey Milanese, or a colourful seaside risotto.
Bristol, England
“Enjoyable, affordable, excellent service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

In a nutshell: starters and puddings were excellent, mains were good but nothing special, service excellent, ambiance was ok, not cheap but not too expensive. Would I go back?: definitely.
For starters we had the meat plank, arancini and bread selection, all of which was excellent - 10 out of 10. Main courses were tagliatelle bolognese (6/10), spaghetti alla norma (6/10) and black angel spaghetti (7/10) which were all made from good quality ingredients and well cooked, but somehow lacked inspiration and nothing to write home about. Portions were moderately sized, which I like as it leaves room for dessert, but others may expect a little more on their plate. For desert we had the ice cream selection (9/10) and raspberry frangipane (9/10) which were both excellent. The ice creams were served with some delicious toppings. And finally the expresso was divine (10/10).
Service was terrific too. Our waiter was friendly and knowledgeable, changed our order without fuss, and ultimately made our meal a little more enjoyable.
As for atmosphere, we went on a Thursday evening and it was pretty full, mostly of young, trendy Bristolians including unfortunately a loud, drunk group on the table just behind us. I though it might be a big works party but when I turned around I saw there were only 4 of them! The decor is an odd variation of industrial cafeteria chic, with basic tables and plastic chairs all too close together. I'd expect a little more room for the prices, but I suppose they're aiming for the bustling, urban feel rather than quiet, sophisticated ambiance, so that's fair enough.
Overall: 8/10.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

London, United Kingdom
“Overrated busy vibrant restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

There is a certain amount of fun being there. The tables are far too close together.
The open plan effect with the kitchen on view is exciting. The meat quality was pretty poor. Been a few times but feel that I need a change for some better quality food in slightly more relaxing surroundings.Definitely worth a visit, service good.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
“Disappointing for the price. Needs to offer something that's worth a return visit.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

Had a Saturday night outing. Good overall service but quite pricey given that the quality of the food was mediocre.

Starters and pudding were great but lamb pasta special was watery and the pasta dried out like it had been over-cooked then sat under a heat lamp for 10 minutes.

Pleasant enough meal but at over 85 pounds for two to dine (three courses and wine) I left thinking I'd rather go to Bella Italia next time, have a pleasant meal and save a few quid. Or else Brasserie Blanc for a meal that's well worth the higher price tag.

Overpriced and disappointing. I suspect it's relying on the name rather than quality or value to draw in custom. Needs to offer something that's worth a return visit if it's to grow rather than decline.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Neath, Wales, United Kingdom
“Food was great but I expected more from a Jamie Oliver restaurant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Well I can finally say that I have now been to one of Jamie Oliver's restaurants and I don't think I'll be going back in a hurry. Don't get me wrong, Neil and I had a lovely lunch there but I think I just expected a little bit more from this restaurant. Maybe my expectations were too high after waiting a long time to go there. The food was great - very tasty. I personally didn't like the decor. I understand the look that Jamie Oliver is hoping to achieve but it seemed as though he'd overdone the 'industrial warehouse' look, so much so, the place looked quite dirty which put me off this restaurant despite the food being great. I also didn't like the 'hard sell' of Jamie Oliver products. Every nook and cranny was filled with Jamie Oliver books, chopping boards, pots, pans, food products. It was just Jamie Oliver overload! Overall, the staff were friendly and helpful, the food was tasty and quite reasonably priced, and Neil and I both left there feeling stuffed!

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Bristol, United Kingdom
“not really living up to reputation!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We recently visited the Bristol restaurant of this rather big name brand and disappointment is how I would sum it up.
The menu is mediocre but its execution leaves even more to be desired!
We all had a couple of courses and the house wine which was fine.
The food was the disappointing factor... The main course risotto was under cooked, powdery rice and lacking in body and flavour, it had absolutely no creamyness to it at all. Fried fish was rather a lot of money for such a pathetic amount of fish. On the plus the cold meat platter was rather good, nothing you cannot get from a decent deli though.

If its a high street Italian restaurant you want Strada is still better for actual food....and is that not you are doing - going out to eat?

You cannot fault the over all feel of the place, design has been very well considered so if it sitting in cool comfortable surroundings is all that matters then this is the place, the building looks great.

we will never go here again. what a lot of money for coming home to make something to eat!

• 1 of 5 stars Food