“Good facilities for business travel” 4 of 5 stars

You added Bristol Aztec Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
Bristol Aztec Hotel & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Aztec West, Bristol BS32 4TS, England   |
Ranked #10 of 84 Hotels in Bristol
“Good facilities for business travel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed here on a number of occasions for business due location and leisure facilities. The gym is quite small but is well equipped and the pool, jacuzzi and steam room ideal after a hard day in the office. The menu is adequate but a bit pricey. Although they do offer beans on toast in the room service menu, which after a couple of night eating in the restaurant was exactly what I wanted. Staff are extremely helpful and very friendly. Would choose to always stay here when in Bristol on business.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
ShireHotels, Chris Hill - General Manager at Bristol Aztec Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
It’s good to hear that you’ve returned to us several times and enjoy the facilities. We would like to think that our gym is larger than some of our competitors though it may be smaller than some stand-alone gyms/leisure centres.

With regards to the dinner menu, we are always happy to make something simple and homely for those frequent travellers who may get a little tired of a la carte food. Please do speak to the restaurant/bar who can let the chef know your requirements. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Chris Hill - General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

I stayed overnight at the hotel, where we were also running sensitive and confidential business meetings over two days.

We had people coming in from outside for meeting activities at different times in different rooms. We had given them details of the rooms in which particular activities would be taking place. For two of these - the most important meetings - the hotel changed the rooms previously specified without telling us so we could advise our guests.

There were insufficient staff to cater for a dinner for 16 people, which involved specifically timed serving of courses. As a result our arrangements were made that much more difficult. Then the next day, when conducting confidential interviews, staff would turn up with refreshments, knock and enter straight away, disturbing the interviews, rather than waiting to be called in to serve. Plus there were too few water glasses, and these were not refreshed until we made a fuss.

These may sound like relatively trivial issues, but when one is trying to co-ordinate a range of activities to deliver particular outcomes, the hotel's business service should be sensitive and capable of understanding how to respond.

For good measure, the heating in my bedroom would only get warm when turning up the thermometer to the maximum (30 degrees supposedly), and the radiator didn't work!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
I understand your frustration at the changes to your meeting room. While it does state in our terms and conditions that this may happen occasionally, I apologise for the lack of communication over the matter.

Regarding dinner, the member of staff who served you is experienced and competent at serving 16 guests – he has dealt with larger numbers and has received good feedback. I’m sorry that your felt the dinner was not run smoothly.

In terms of refreshments, it is hard for both yourselves and our conference team to know whether the schedule will run to time. I agree that it is unprofessional to disturb an interview, as you point out, the effect of staff not entering the room means that we don’t know when stocks need to be replenished. You may like to try our Conference Café facility which allows delegates to come and go at flexible break times.

Last year, we fitted a new heating and cooling system throughout the hotel. I am surprised to hear that you did not feel the benefit and I will investigate this with maintenance. When the system was installed, it made the radiators redundant and as each room is refurbished, they will be taken out.

St Albans, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

I stayed here on business recently (Autumn 2013) for one night. I've been coming to the area on business for around 20 years, I'd never stayed here so I was keen to give it a try when my usual hotel was full.
I did not eat dinner in the hotel.
I did not have time to use the health spa etc but the pool appeared to be similar in size to that of the Hilton nearby, about 17 meters long? I could not see the gym so cannot comment.
Access to the Aztec business park and M4/M5 is very good.

I liked

The hotel building is very nice, especially the bar and restaurant.

There seemed to be plenty of staff and barring my bad experience at check-in the staff were pleasant and courteous.

My room was adequately large but by no means generous

My room was nice and clean

Some satellite TV channels

Ample Car parking

I did not like

Demanding a swipe of a credit card at the reception when the stay is already fully expensed via via company's holding credit card. I really dislike being told "its policy" when asking for justification - you can see I don't want to supply this very personal information, but you cant even explain why you want it.
Having got this credit card data I wonder if it is looked after in line with all the current PCI standards. As I'm in IT myself and have worked on PCI/DSS for several major blue chips I'll bet it is not.

Paying to park my car in my hotel's own car park. I wouldn't have thought it was worth upsetting the punters for the couple of pounds they make out of it. I'm puzzled why hotels do this.

The shower for my room mounted about 5 feet high so unless you are a Hobbit you will need to crouch down to have a shower, not really acceptable.

Road noise. The hotel is right on the main roundabout into Bradley stoke and the business park first junction off the M5 exit. I was aware of the traffic outside when I turned in and when I woke up.

Breakfast was not great.
It's a rather odd buffet arrangement but you don't help yourself there is a guy there to dish up. Its a kind of portion control. In a hotel this expensive that's not on.
The fried eggs were all cooked through, ASDA can cook you a fried egg for their breakfast at about £1.50 - why cant AZTEC?
The sausages looked really nice, like from a local butcher (probably asking too much) but the first mouthful had a big lump of gristle. In fairness I enjoyed the rest.
The breakfast attendant was unable to supply a slotted spoon to server the baked beans. I hate my meal swamped in the sauce with the beans so I couldn't have any. I didn't think that was too much to ask.

Would I stay here again?

Yes, but reluctantly I'd rather stay at the Hilton over the road. Don't get me wrong this is a better building but there's more too it than that, the building and facilities are just part of the experience. I did not leave here feeling good about my stay as I should have done. Looking back I don't think I ever got over the poor check-in experience.

Room Tip: If you are less than 5ft in height or don't plan to shower, you'll be fine otherwise demand...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
I'm glad you were able to find a haven of tranquillity after a busy few days! It’s lovely that you were able to extend your business trip and experience the leisure side of the hotel. Do remember us again when the stresses of life mean you need to relax. We’ll be happy to welcome you back.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

We have just had our 5th weekend away at this hotel...and every time the staff, facilities, rooms and food has surpassed our expectations.

All our demands were never a problem.

The girls had nothing but praise for the staff - always served us with a smile, despite their long busy schedule...much appreciated!

Food was brilliant.

Room Tip: All the facilities are on the 1st floor, but noting is too far
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
ShireHotels, Chris Hill - General Manager at Bristol Aztec Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
I'm so glad to hear that you enjoy staying with us time after time! It really does mean a lot to know that you appreciate our hospitality so much that you re-book. I am sure that we will continue to deliver this level of service so hopefully we will see you again.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

I have stayed here many times and each and every time the service has been excellent. I have organised girlie weekends and all my girlfriends have nothing but praise for the whole experience they have received from the staff. We always have vegetarian food and it has always been very nice. Hence we keep coming back. All the staff are very friendly and their nothing is a problem attitude is why we have booked again in April 2014. The location is great as it is just off the motorway. We spend all our time inside and 35+ girls together make a lot of noise but the the suite we were in did not effect the rest of the guests as the sound proofing is good. The rooms are very good esp. the showers which are better then in a lot of the five star+ hotels.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
We really do appreciate it when our regular guests take the time to spread their comments to a wider audience so thank you for your review. So glad to hear that you had another successful stay. We look forward to working with you to plan next year’s event and welcoming you back for the third year running.

Andover, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

Perfect for a family stay with a few extras without costing a fortune. The spa facilities are child friendly and you do not feel you are ruining the experience for business users.

Comfy bed, great breakfast and convenient for exploring Bristol. However traffic can be a nightmare from hotel to city centre if like me you take the wrong route! Use the M4 and M32!

Thank you Shire for another great last minute few days.

Room Tip: family 4 poster room was about 1/4 mile away from the lift!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your great feedback. We do appreciate when we hear back from all our guests so we know we are doing a good job and are meeting their expectations.

I am pleased to hear that you found our Spa facilities child friendly. We our continually thinking of new ways of making the children’s stay as enjoyable as possible which then in turn makes your stay more relaxing. You might also have noticed that we have introduced kid’s packs on arrival and a movie room all weekend. These are just a few of the ideas we have introduced to make your stay with us extra special.

Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back again.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

I have stayed here many times before and had nothing but praise, however this time, the staff seemed rude an not attentive (until we complained)
The evening bar food was warm and took ages to come, we complained twice to no avail but eventually it turned, my colleagues food was cold mine warm but edible, the staff did seem stretched and unorganised.
It's a shame as the hotel is usually very friendly and the rooms are really good, and in the past the food has been really good as well.
So do we put it down to a one off or have the standards dropped.
Time will tell.
Not the best experience

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Firstly, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write about your time with us. We do take on board what our guests have to say about their experiences, good or bad and we do act on them to continually improve our service.

As a regular visitor to our hotel I am disappointed that your experience wasn’t up to what you have come to expect from us. We do pride ourselves on delivering excellence in customer service and making all guests feel welcome, which I feel is the experience you have had on your previous visits. On the back of your feedback, I have implemented regular training sessions for all staff to reinforce our standards of service so we continue to meet our excellent reputation.

Thank you again for taking the time to give us feedback and I hope you will return again and receive the service you have come to expect from us.

Chris Hill - General Manager

Been to Bristol Aztec Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!