“smart recently modernised city hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol City Centre

You added DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol City Centre to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol City Centre
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Redcliffe Way, Bristol BS1 6NJ, England (Formerly Ramada Bristol City)   |
Special Offer
Save 33% on Weekend Stays
Ranked #7 of 84 Hotels in Bristol
Stratford-upon-Avon
“smart recently modernised city hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

The exterior of the hotel looks very dated but on entry you see the evidence of recent extensive modernisation. The only problem on check-in was that we were shown to a different type of room from that which we booked. Judging by previous reviews, this seems to be a problem here and needs to be addressed. However, the room which we were then given was splendid - nicely furnished, superb bed, excellent air conditioning, and a beautiful view of St Mary's Redcliffe church. The bathroom, though small, was well appointed. We ate both dinner and breakfast in the restaurant, a most unusual circular former glass kiln. Food is good, especially the superb breakfast buffet. The staff throughout the hotel were professional and friendly particularly in giving us helpful advice about what to see within walking distance. Most of the many attractions of central Bristol are only a few minutes away.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Elaine G, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol City Centre, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on TripAdvisor.

We greatly appreciate the 4 stars that you gave us and we are pleased that you had such an enjoyable stay with us.

Your kind comments regarding the high standard of the rooms, the food and service you received have been passed on to all the staff.

Due to anonymity of TripAdvisor I am unable to check to see why there was confusion with room types when you checked in.

As a hotel we only have 2 types of rooms - standard & deluxe (only 8 of these). All of our standard rooms are identical in terms of fit out, colour scheme and bathrooms. The only variance is that the standard rooms come with either a double, king or twin beds. I hope that clarifies matters for you.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the DoubleTree by Hilton Bristol City Centre next time you come to Bristol.

Elaine Gibbins

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

We stayed over the Bristol Harbour Festival weekend & to be fair the hotel & the stay was really good, with our visit to the restaurant being brilliant.My beef is when we checked in & we swiped a card we found that the hotel held onto the swipe" payment" for upto 5 days!!!! We paid our bill on the day we left,now rang the bank as a pending payment was showing on our balance.Bank unable to help but Hello!! What's going on & is the "pending" payment in the hotel account making interest..Not bloody happy!!And most definetly never going to stay again....Scam springs to mind..This pending transaction could cause problems for some people...

• Stayed July 2013
Elaine G, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol City Centre, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for recent review on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted that you enjoyed the hotel and your dining experiecen in the restaurant.

To respond to your issue with card payments please allow me to clarify. If you use a debit/credit card to check in, a hold may be placed on your card account for the full anticipated amount to be owed to the hotel, including estimated incidentals, through to your date of check-out and such hold is released on the check out day. If it is held for more than 24 hours, then it is at the discretion of your card issuer. And is the company policy (stated in the registration card that you sign on upon check in) that we will preauthorise the card given upon check in.

I hope that this helps to explain the process used and how your card issuer is also involved in the process. It may be worthwhile speaking to them on this matter.

Copenhagen, Denmark
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying a few night in relation to some business in Bristol centre. Nicely located for this. The reception was ever so helpful and I thoroughly enjoying the breakfast buffet / has all what you need! The gym is well equipped.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Elaine G, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol City Centre, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us.

Your feedback is valuable to us and I am pleased that that you had a pleasant stay at the hotel.

I hope that we we can welcome you back next time you need a hotel in the Bristol city centre.

England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Upon arrival we received cookies and after a 3 hour journey this was well received and still warm - it was yummy!! Check in was fast and as mention before this hotel has had a refurb and the all the rooms have aircon which was great as Bristol was 29C way too hot!! Slight down side is that if you have a car (like we did) it is difficult as this hotel on a one way system and there is heavy traffic in Bristol day in day out so it could take upto 50mins to get from one side of Bristol to the other.

We had a good experience, but some of the reception staff have still not got to grips with the new systems which is understandable. Price was under £100 for late July which I thought was good.

The toilet was not the cleanest which was my only niggle... good average hotel

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our air conditioning useful during the recent heatwave!

Our cookies go down very well especially as you say after a long journey, glad you enjoyed it

Yours sincerely
Elaine Gibbins.
Midlands, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Good hotel, staff service couldnt be faulted, shame the room was smelly! Breakfast is better than average and quite good value if you book it in advance. Overall, I'd stay again if the rate was cheap, its not worth £100 a night though.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Dear Guest

Thank you for posting your feedback on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you you found the food and the service to be of a high standard.

I am not sure if you reported your room to reception or housekeeping however I am sure they would have been able to move you if you were unhappy and they had known about it.

Look out for our reduced rates through our Hiolton Great Getaway promotion as it offers 40% discount on our rates! Great value for a weekend break.

Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We had a lovely holiday in Bristol which is a fabulous place for a week or few day's break, despite the hotel we stayed in..
Recently refurbished, it is clean and sleek but we had to try 4 times to see if they had any other pillows apart from the awully uncomfortable feather pillows on offer. We were met with lack of understanding of the English language, lack of staff communication and knowledge of their own facilities availabe and general ignorance (although not to the point of rudeness - just stupidity really) What would they do if a guest had a feather allergy, I don't know.
I left my phone charger there and it took nearly 1 week of phone calls and messages to have them respond that it was not left there. As I know it was left there I said that I had no other recourse but to believe that the hotel staff had stolen it and I was goung to report it to the manager (who was never available to speak to me).
Funny, 10 minutes later they "found" it. They then wanted my Credit Card details to charge me £8.00 to return it. As it was, I know that the cost of postage for this is less than £2.00.
I have since arranged to have a relative collect it although they will most likely have "lost" it again by then.
The staff weren't rude, just stupid. And while I can see that having staff of different nationalities and languages, I think that ENGLISH should be a pre-requisite.
We did enjoy the breakfasts, and the 1 evening meal we had there. As I said earlier, it is recently refurbished and all shiny and new on the inside. Our room was very dull with grey walls and a tiny window which required us to have the lights on even during the lovely summer days we were there
I know there are many other lovely hotels in Bristol and I would go to another one next time rather that return to the Doubletree by Hilton in Bristol for a poor show for a large price.

Room Tip: I think you must need to have the biggest room available so as not to be cramped and in darkness dur...
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor.

It was disappointing to read that we did not your expectation in terms of customer service and room décor.

We do have a choice of pillows available and that should have been a relatively straight forward request to sort out for you. Your feedback has been escalated to relevant heads of department so that they can speak to their individual staff members.

With regards to your phone charger I can assure you that this was simply misplaced and the implication that it was stolen we feel is very unfair. We have so many phone chargers left behind that we keep them as spares for those guest that forget to bring them with them. Please accept our apologies if the retrieval process did not go smoothly and for any inconvenience caused.

Bristol
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

With my graduation in Bristol, my family and I stayed at the Doubletree Hilton - and were thankful of the location; close to Temple Meads and the City Centre. Unfortunately I suffer from a nut allergy - and when presented with a cookie that obviously contained nuts I had to decline, but they did suggest to just pick them out (not really an option). When we went to the rooms we were shocked by how small the bathrooms were - a sure contender for the smallest hotel bathroom in the world! When you finally manage to squeeze in to the shower - allow extra time to compensate for the inadequate water pressure...

Breakfast ok as buffet breakfasts go, cooked breakfast a bit too greasy. General areas very clean and comfortable.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Elaine G, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol City Centre, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear Guest

I am very sorry to hear that we did not meet your expections during your recent stay.

Our operating standards are such that you should have been offered a piece of fresh fruilt in lieu of the cookie, I apologise that this did not happen. I will de discussing this with the Front Office Manager so she can ensure all her reception staff are aware of this.

I am sorry that the water pressure wasn't as it should have been and that you were unhappy with the bathroom. All of our bathrooms have been newly refurbished with walk-in rainfall showers, however there are some rooms on the 3rd floor where we have retained baths for those guests that request them.

I hope that you might consider staying with us again if you return to Bristol.

Elaine Gibbins

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol City Centre? Share your experiences!