“Great hotel,great location” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 86 hotels in Bristol
Surrey
“Great hotel,great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2008

Have just returned from this hotel after staying 2 nights with my 22 year old daughter. We came to Bristol to see a friend who has been starring in Mamma Mia at the Hippodrome and chose this hotel because it was a 2 minute walk from the theatre and 10 to 15 mins to the main shopping centre and waterside restaurants. From the moment we arrived we were made to feel very welcome. We had a lovely receptionist checking us in who provided us with a map of the area. Our room 1326 on the third floor was superb, we had 2 double beds, which i have to say were the most comfortable hotel beds i have ever slept in. The bathroom was spotless. Nothing was too much trouble. We had breakfast in the room on day 2 and this was piping hot and bought up within 20 mins of being ordered. A really lovely stay and we wish we could have stayed longer. We would love to return in the near future.
[--]

• Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

941 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2007

I stayed in this hotel for 1 night (thank God). Only good things are, great location and quite friendly staff. Breakfast also good, great variety (but long queue before getting a table).
Now, I decided to stay there since we priorized a good location. I've read some bad reviews, but still decided to give it a go. My mistake.
The main problem was my room. Filthy to start with the bad news. I paid £145 for a superior room, but never felt anyhing good about it. 1309 was it, so better avoid it! (although I think they are all the same for what I've heard while sitting on the bar). Filthy carpet all over the place (just simply old!), mold in the bathroom in every corner you can look, old tv that does not work properly (this is at least a 10 year old cheapy tv, quite small screen and dumb remote control). I thought 'we're here to have a good time so better don't pay attention to those details' but it really got me ungry to notice, after a long walk in the cold and windy, rainy saturday afternoon, that my shower was cold! And same thing the morning after. Not freezing cold, just cold enough not to want to stay there for more than 30 secs for a quick rince. That certanly woke me up.
When it was time for check out, had a whopping 30 minute queue in front of me. Imagine how much fun it is to endure that when your experience was terrible. Really wanted to get out of there. Explained the situation to the lady at the reception. She certanly was sad for what she heard, but never offered any way to compensate, or to even call someone to rise my complain. I guess she's used to those complains anyway. BTW, the certanly had no problem on charging for a couple of drinks we had. Talking about trying to have customers back. Do yourself a favor: don NOT stay there. They sort of ruined my 'fun' weekend.

• Liked — Location, overall friendlines of staff, breakfast
  • Disliked — Room cleanliness/state, bathroom, lifts, corridors, a few more things...
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2007

Me and my friend went to stay at this hotel for a weekend away. first of all, the lifts were disgusting - it looks like they were splattered with something inside,dirty buttons, carpet with holes!!

Our room was ok - very very old. Then... We opened a fridge. We should not have done - I think someone died in there a long time ago! It was just revolting. we called reception and this girl came up, she said " I've been told, the fridge is dirty".. What??? We asked her to open it and give it a sniff. She agreed it was awful.
Next,another man came -again he was told that "the fridge was dirty!" .He took out the shelves and left us with an empty fridge.

We then went out for a walk and I decided to have a shower before we go out in the evening.

I turned the shower on, but the water would not go down. I leaned over and moved the plug.. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw floating carrots and potatoes in there!! I was not gonna have a shower in a vegetable stew. Someone threw up (what else?) and they didn't clean it properly!! Gross!!

We asked to swap room after that. They gave a room with broken air con which kept making banging sounds. We asked to change again. Finally settled.
Never again.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chester, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2007

Me and my family stayed in the Bristol Marriot Hotel while on holiday in the area. We wanted to stay in Bath but could not get any accommdation so ended up staying in Bristol. We really enjoyed the hotel and it was in a nice location, close to the water front and shops. The hotel was clean and smart with a nice bar area and terrance. The swimming pool was good and well maintained. On our stay there was two weddings but we never felt that the hotel was packed. We would stay there again.

• Liked — The location and pool.
  • Disliked — Expensive Bar
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2007

Stayed in the Bristol Marriott Royal after a rugby match in Cardiff and was a late arrival. Was upgraded to a suite and the room was equipped with a rollaway bed which I had requested through the concierge service on the Marriott website. Had an ealry check out the next day so unfortunately didn't experience much of what the hotel had to offer. One point of note however, was the noise coming from outside. It was late on a Saturday night and the volume of noise from traffic and people out on the street could be heard very clearly in the room. However, a well located hotel with attentive staff.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Oxford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2007

My partner and i have just returned from a lovely weekend in Bristol, The Royal Marriott for us was the perfect hotel for our weekend break.The service was excellent and staff were so helpful and attentive,you want to feel special when your having a break and the Royal Marriott ticks all the right boxes Its perfect location in the city centre allows you to forget about the car and just walk, Bristol has everything you want in a weekend break and the Royal Hotel has all the comfort and style to allow you to relax in its luxurious surroundings. The Marriott Hotel beds are renown for there comfort and it has to be said that they are so much so i nearly slept though thankfully only a false fire alarm at 2.0 in the morning.If you want to spoil yourself or treat someone else the Royal Marriott in Bristol would be a great choice!

• Liked — comfort and locatoin
  • Disliked — Hotel to hot at times
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2007

I stayed at the Bristol Marriott Royal for 2 nights with my partner as a romantic City Break. From the moment we arrived we cannot faul any aspect of the hotel, the check-in procedure was seamless with very friendly and efficient staff who were most welcoming.
The bedroom was spacious, immaculate and very well maintained, the beds were like nothing I have ever slept on before, if you haven't tried a Marriott bed I would advise this....
The hotel is located close to a large range of international restaurants and many bars ideal for romantic strolls along the waterfront.
All in all I would recommend this hotel in a far higher category to other 4* establishments. I would love to visit again soon

• Liked — The Facade
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Bristol Marriott Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!