“Yet another stay that was perfect” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Thistle Bristol City Centre, The Grand

You added Thistle Bristol City Centre, The Grand to your Saves list
Thistle Bristol City Centre, The Grand
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Broad St., Bristol BS1 2EL, England (Formerly Thistle Bristol Grand Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #21 of 84 Hotels in Bristol
Dartmouth, United Kingdom
“Yet another stay that was perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I selected this hotel on business travel as I have stayed there before and I really rate this place. It is in the city centre but secluded and quiet and I had two nights very good sleep. Breakfast is really worth getting up for and I rate it very highly for quality and selection. The Grand is excpetional value for money and the staff are excellent.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
GM_GrandBristol, General Manager at Thistle Bristol City Centre, The Grand, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Nickerty,

Thank you for taking the time to feedback your comments following your recent stay with us.

We appreciate your kind comments regarding your experience throughout your stay and are pleased that you feel us to be exceptional value for money with excellent staff.

We do hope that you will come and visit us again and look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Jacquie Hanson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Dubai
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I stayed here for two nights, and my only requirement was a centrally located hotel, preferably with wifi. I picked the Grand because they were offering a two nights for the price of one which made it cheaper than the Ibis / Premier Inn type offerings. I have to say I was not that impressed, and if travelling there again and had to pay full price I would definitley go for a budget chain hotel instead. It probably once was a 'grand' hotel, but now falls somewhere between a budget chain, where you know exactly what you are getting, and a traditional but rennovated city centre hotel, and doesnt quite achive the advantages of either, except for its good location. Having said that there are both positives and negatives:

THE POSITIVES : Good central location with secure garage parking on site; good price (if you get a deal); plenty of plug sockets in the room; breakfast is reasonable value for the $15 (10 pounds) cost; tea and coffee facility in room

THE NEGATIVES : Small rooms with stained carpets; very small desk with limited work space; stained carpets in the corridors; very expensive wifi; lots of late night noise in the hotel; I found the directions on the web site hard to follow; no bottle of water in the room

Room Tip: My guess is that there is a great variety of rooms, so there would be no harm in asking to see the r...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest

I was sorry to read your review and would appreciate the opportunity to investigate this further. I would therefore be grateful if you could contact me at the hotel, so that I can discuss the issues that you have raised with you.

Bristol
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I went to the Thistle Grand Hotel in Bristol as a treat for myself and my sister-in-law to utilise a free voucher in their spa..

The website looked very enticing and encouraged us to go.

We booked directly with the spa what day we wanted to visit. Then I rang 4 days before to try to book a massage & facial for us both. They said , we have only one treatment left as we only have 1 member of staff and she can't do massage as she has met her quota for the day.

Hence, we didn't get a treatment as we both wanted to indulge.

When we got there around 10.15am we were greeted by a not so friendly guy saying - you know you can't use the pool or jacuzzi till after 12pm. Then he said to sign in. I asked for tea/coffee/juice facilities while we wait - he said we dont do that. Then he said you have your locker key - I said No. He said are you going to use the gym - we said no just the pool and jacuzzi (I'll come back to this later in my review). Basically he was not forth coming with friendliness and information.

When we did look in through the window before we went in search of a coffee - the jacuzzi was tiny , 2 people would be comfortable in there only, and the pool was tiny.

We came back about 11.30 and went in the tiny sauna and steam room. We had to wait whilst the most annoying rude mums had baby swimming lessons in the pool till 12.

Then, we went in the pool which was very warm when we tested it at 11.30 then at 12.00 it was cold. Must heat it up for the mums / babies only.

So we went to get in the jacuzzi. As soon as we both got in - put our feet up, the guy came running out shouting at us , for which we couldn't hear as the bubble machine was going, he kept repeating himself and we said - can't hear you. He made no attempt to come closer to us.
He then said , the waters too low it needs topping up. We got out and went in the sauna. We waited about 30 mins and came back to the jacuzzi to see if it was being topped up or done. It was not even being touched.

Hence, we abruptly left . He said - have a nice time ? I said no, we wanted to use the jacuzzi and pool as we said as we had said when we first arrived.

Basically I couldn't complain as it was a free day pass, but you wouldn't be able to spend even half a day in the spa - because you aren't allowed in the pool/jacuzzi before 12 and secondly it was so un-friendly and un-inviting.

Go somewhere else and please dont waste membership on this tiny excuse for a spa.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
GM_GrandBristol, Otium Club Manager at Thistle Bristol City Centre, The Grand, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear Catherine M

Thank you for taking the time to feedback your comments following your recent visit to Otium Leisure.

I was sorry to read your review and would appreciate the opportunity to investigate this further. I would therefore be grateful if you could contact me at the club, so that I can discuss the issues that you have raised with you.

Robert Nicol
Otium Leisure Manager
bristol
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Stayed for one night as we went in to the centre to see a show. The location is superb and staff are very friendly. The room was clean and tidy. Only small complaint was the cooked breakfast which was cold.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Guest,

I am delighted that you found our location and your room to your satisfaction during your recent visit and that you felt that the staff were all very friendly.

I was sorry to read however, that there was an issue with breakfast and will certainly be looking into this further as we do pride ourselves upon the breakfast that we offer at The Grand.

I do hope that this will not deter you from coming back to visit us again when you are next in Bristol.

France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

For a stopover I went back to the Grand as it is so perfectly located and has a parking garage. It was comfortable, the staff was friendly, and the food quite good. What was missing was the atmosphere such a building in such a location could have: old-fashioned, cozy, physically welcoming. The Grand has been modernised and it's a pity. Moreover, the prices are high for what is offered. But it is efficient and friendly.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
GM_GrandBristol, General Manager at Thistle Bristol City Centre, The Grand, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

I was pleased to read that due to finding The Grand in an ideal location in Bristol, you returned to visit us again and that you found the hotel comfortable, staff friendly and the food good.

I am sorry that you feel that through the refurbishment of the hotel, we have lost some of the traditional charm you would find with such a traditional building and do hope that this will not deter you from staying with us again, should you find yourself requiring a stop-over hotel in the future.

I look forward to hopefully meeting you the next time that you visit Bristol

Goodwick
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

. When we first arrived their was a hen party leaving and another going into the restaurant so we were a bit worried there'd be some noise but we didn't see them again. Check in wad quick and easy, found our room to find no cot.. went down to ask. The receptionist wasn't really bothered and seemed interested telling me that we hadn't asked for one.. anyway it arrived quickly without any bedding.. that was resolved quite quickly too. The room was very spacious and bed very comfortable. We had supper downstairs, it wasn't amazing but we ate it. Breakfast ok, nothing special but again we ate it. Toilets are very far.from restaurant and very easy to finrd

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room at the back!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
GM_GrandBristol, General Manager at Thistle Bristol City Centre, The Grand, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

I was pleased that you found check-in to be quick and easy and your room spacious and comfortable, however was sorry to read that the cot was not in the room ready for your arrival and that you felt that the receptionist hadn’t really been that bothered, however did quickly rectify the situation for you. I have spoken to our Reception Manager who has asked for her apologies to be made and she will be looking into your comments further.

I do hope that this has not deterred you from visiting The Grand Hotel again in the future, should you be visiting Bristol.

Brighton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

It was ok, but the room was rather small, we heard lots of bin noises early in the morning, crashing metal etc, the reception staff were just a little bit surly, and then the buffet breakfast was nearly stone cold, and we werent late in coming down. Cold sausages and bacon are not ideal. It wasnt cheap either. I wont be going back, much nicer places to stay in bristol.

• Stayed March 2012
Dear Guest

I was sorry to read your comments in your review and would appreciate the opportunity to investigate this further.

Jacquie Hanson

Been to Thistle Bristol City Centre, The Grand? Share your experiences!