“Lovely hotel, efficient staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Bristol Hotel

You added The Bristol Hotel to your Saves list
The Bristol Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   The Harbourside | Prince Street, Bristol BS1 4QF, England   |
Ranked #4 of 51 Hotels in Bristol
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersBronze level
London
“Lovely hotel, efficient staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Stayed here one night fro business and found it to be a lovely hotel, efficient friendly staff and fab breakfast. Handily placed for restaurants and the docks. Tiny gym but with ultra modern equipment. All in all a comfortable, good value hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (620)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the Bristol hotel Friday the 7th dec
We were in Bristol to see Ellie goulding at the O2 academy which is only a 10 min walk away
Great welcome to the hotel from the very friendly and professional staff , one of the lifts was out of action so we got a free drink at the bar :)
It's right next to a ncp carpark and when we got there we were delighted to find out parking is covered by the hotel
Saving us 20 quid :)
We didn't eat at the hotel but the resturant looked night

Try and get a room over looking the docks

Would stay here again :)

• Stayed December 2012
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

This hotel is superficially OK, but is let down by a number of shortcomings.

Firstly, the good:

- Decor is generally modern and stylish
- Free wifi
- Location is convenient for most things in Bristol (but see later)

Now the shortcomings:

- Rooms (or at least my room - 512) are on the small side.
- There is no means to control temperature in rooms: no air con and no heating. A freestanding plug in radiator was provided but that's not really what's expected in a 4 star hotel.
- Noise: my room faced the internal 'well' rather than the street but I could clearly hear loud noise from bars etc even though the windows were closed. This was on a Saturday night when this part of Bristol appears to become a magnet for chavs. This would be even worse in summer given the lack of air con which means windows would probably need to be open.
- Lack of attention to detail: for example, no rubber strip around the shower screen so floor got flooded every time I took a shower.

In summary, this really isn't a 4 star hotel. It's probably 3 star, but someone has employed a designer. It should be a lot better than it is but isn't anything like as good as many people on tripadvisor have made out.

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
TheBristolHotel, Manager at The Bristol Hotel, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear Ramdon_person
Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor. I was very disappointed to hear about the issues that you experienced with regard to your stay with us.
This is the first time I have heard about your issues and I sincerely apologise for it. It seems nothing was reported to our team during your stay which is a pity as it would have giving us the opportunity to resolve the issues you had with your room.
I would like to assure you that we welcome your feedback and as we are a learning organisation we appreciate all feedback and find it very valuable in moving forward and improving the service that we provide to our guests. At The Bristol Hotel, we take great pride in the individual, friendly and courteous service that we provide to all our guests, ensuring that their comfort and care are at the forefront of what we do. As you can see on the guest reviews we have high standards here at the Bristol hotel and I apologise if they were not adhered to on this occasion
Once again I would like to apologise on behalf of the hotel and thank you for making us aware of the issues that you experienced. I hope that you will give us the opportunity to regain your confidence in The Bristol Hotel.

I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

Kind regards,

Raphael Herzog
Isle of Portland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

We stayed last night (Saturday), there was 4 of us for my friend's birthday. I have stayed here previously. Free parking at the weekend is great and the NCP car park is attached to the hotel. No problems getting a space. The reception is very smart and perfect check in. There are two lifts. One wasn't working but as an apology when we checked in they gave us all a voucher for a drink for the inconvenience. This is well above what a normal hotel would do. Lovely touch, great start. Had a nice size room, nice and smart with decent bathroom. Really liked the shower, big head and also a separate hose for hair washing. Nice comfy bed, all very good. Had a few drinks in the bar at the beginning of the evening and ended in there. Great service from the barman and waitress. Lovely cocktails available and it's over looking the water. Location of the hotel was perfect for us, close to a number of lovely restaurants to wobble to in our heels!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Callander, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Any hotel that is happy to take on a family of 7 (incl. 5 under 7 yrs of age) would be in my good books! I had to attend a conference and brought my family - for them to explore Bristol. The Bristol Hotel fitted our budget and were willing to take all of us in ONE family room. The location was very convenient as we were 10min from the Cathedral. Our views on the 5th floor were excellent as we were overlooking the river. Breakfast was very good and we had a lovely stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Penzance, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

I had to travel from Penzance for day surgery at Bristol Dental Hospital & needed a hotel in central Bristol for a one night stay. Arriving at 9 am, the very pleasant receptionist explained they didn't have any rooms ready but undertook the necessary paperwork & said they would prioritise preparing our room. On our return, the receptionist enquired about my welfare, & gave us the room key. The room was a good size, immaculate, lovely views & easily controllable heating. Throughout our stay nothing was too much trouble for the staff. We will certainly be back for a social visit. Thank you to everyone at the Bristol Hotel

• Stayed December 2012
Belfast, NI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

I've stayed in the Bristol hotel a couple of times when in Bristol on business. It's situated right along the dock, in the middle of a really buzzing area with lots of bars, restaurants and shops right on the doorstep. Both the hotel and the local area feel very safe and comfortable, important if you're traveling alone. The views out over the dock from the hotel are great and the soundproofing is good enough that even on the first floor there is very little noise bleed through.

The hotel felt pleasant in lots of ways. There were nice spaces to sit and relax for a few minutes or grab a quick chat with someone, and the conference spaces also worked very well. My room was small but perfectly formed, with a comfortable double bed and a good sized desk to work at. We were in a cold snap when I visited and I was aware it could have been warmer but given that most hotels are far too warm, this wasn't something I would have complained about. It's worth bringing a jumper though if you feel the cold. Though they will give you a little extra room heater if you need it.

I didn't go for an inclusive breakfast and I was glad about this since there are so many cafes and bars nearby it seemed nicer to get out for a few minutes. Although the breakfast room overlooks the water and it would have been nice to eat there. There was food served as part of the conference I was attending and it was all very tasty and served with a smile. Staff were generally very efficient throughout but also pleasant.

The hotel gym was reasonably well equipped with cardio equipment and a couple of weights machines. I missed not having any hand weights (except some medicine balls) but that's personal preference.

I would highly recommend this hotel and would definitely stay here again, for business or pleasure.

Room Tip: Ask for a waterside room. And if you're particularly sensitive to noise, better to be on the up...