“Good stay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 48 Hotels in Bristol
wales uk
“Good stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

Stayed here last weekend, good directions given of web site, plenty of parking even though the hotel was full. Booked into straight away the receptionist was efficient but acted like a robot and didnt take a breath!! Our room was over looking car park which didnt bother us, room on small side but was very clean. Our biggest problem was the air conditioning or lack of it, the room was very warm and though we turned it down it remained hot, we were able to open window but the noise from the road kept us awake for most of the time.
Used swimming pool, staff very helpful and pool lovely and warm, unfortunatley there was no body wash in any of the showers so had to shower again in the room.
Restaurants - Saturday we ate in Sanpams, the waitresses looked lovely in their chinese dresses, and the surroundings were very tranquil. We ordered the meal for 2 which was £22 each and well worth the money, it was very tasty and plenty off it, in fact most of it was left bacause of the big portions. My gripe and it is a BIG one is that we were charged £7 for a pint of becks and over £7 service charge, i should be the one to decide what tip i should leave, there was only 2 of us this is usually enforced for parties of over 6.
Next day my husband went down to watch the football in the lounge reluctant to buy a pint but to his shock a pint of becks exactly the same was £4, we had been obscenely over charged the night before!! We discussed this with receptionist who stated that they kept in line with other hotels, when we explained the difference in prices the £3 was deducted from our bill, but if we hadnt spotted this how many other people have been over charged? While watching the football on the big screen (no sound) a group of men came and stood in front of him, when he asked them to move they said sorry but the computer station was based right in front of the big screen, WHO designed this!!!!
Next night we went to the juction only 4 other couples so nice and quite. Ordered our food and waited and waited 40 mins later it came out ,after asking waitress was there a problem, it was obvious we had been over looked as the next couple that came in from sitting down to havind there food took 11 mins we timed it. Again service charge added. These things might never happen to any one else and i hope they dont.
Breakfast on monday was very quite compared to the sunday morning. Nice selection to choose from, but here we go again waitress came over to ask if we wanted any more from hot buffett we said no, so they started to clear up but i didnt realise that they cleared every thing so we couldnt have any toast, fruit or pastries, so we left quite disaponited.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Holidayinn_Filton, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bristol - Filton, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write us such a detailed review following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Bristol Filton.

I am sorry that you felt let down by some aspects of your stay; I can assure you that this is not indicative of our usual standard and would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your review in more detail. Please contact me on Bristol@ihg.com with a suitable contact number at your convenience.

Please be assured that our service charge is discretionary; please accept my sincere apologies that this was not communicated to you.

Thank you once again for your feedback and I look forward to hearing from you.

Lara Beechey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

Having stayed here a year ago we booked two rooms for the three of us at the ridiculously low price of £44 per room direct as the comparison sites wanted a lot more, up to £144.
Great service, great staff. Easy to find and good parking + very clean and modern. They even rang up the day before to double check the booking.

But - there's always a but. Absurdly they do not have free Wi-Fi and expect £5 per hour plus of £16 per day. The lounge drinks are loaded eg, awful Starbucks coffee with extra charges. Only one beer on tap and that's Boddingtons with one bottled beer which is Newcastle Brown. I jest not. Drink lager or forget it.
The wine is 4 (four) times a full supermarket price in the lounge alone and the so called 25 tv channels are far less with a poor reception.

Having said that I like Holiday Inn and will take a dongle, packed lunch and a bottle of wine with a flask of coffee in future.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay whilst recently visiting Bristol.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your overall experience and found your room to be great value for money; however I am sorry that you were disappointed by other charges. Please be assured that we do offer complimentary WIFI to all Platinum and Gold Elite IHG Rewards Club members and that we are currently reviewing our offering for all other members.

We do review our pricing regularly and I can assure you that we are in line with other hotels in the area.

I am very glad that you like Holiday Inn hotels and I do hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the Holiday Inn Bristol Filton in the near future.

Yours sincerely.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

The Holiday Inn at Fulton is okay. The room was clean and and well appointed but could have benefited from a comfortable chair. The price of the room matched (and it seems exceeded) Central London but the complimentary refreshments were lacking, just tea and coffee and UHT milk, no fruit teas, hot chocolate or biscuits. A small frustration, but when arriving late after a long journey, noticable. I stayed five nights, and two of the entrance doors were out of order for four of them which suggests a lack of attention to detail. The was a reasonable buffet style breakfast but it should have been as it was roughly an extra £10 per day. WIFI is provided but again is an extra (£5 per hour or £16 per day), most hotels have moved to providing at least some complimentary time where WIFI is available. The hotel doors seemed very noisy, and there was constant irratating banging between about 10pm and 1am which was very disturbing. Wouldn't have any qualms about staying again but would pack ear plugs, however would look for alternates as I didn't feel it represented especially good value.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Bristol Filton.

I am sorry to read that your stay did not meet your expectations; your observations are very helpful and please be assured that I have noted all of your comments in order to act upon them where appropriate.

I am pleased to inform you that we do offer complimentary WIFI to all Platinum and Gold Elite IHG Rewards club members and that we are currently reviewing our offering for all other members.

During your stay, only two entrance doors were operational due to the cold weather we have recently been experiencing. Please be assured that this was intentional in order to keep our guests as warm as possible during this time; however I am sorry that this was not communicated to you.

Thank you once again for your feedback and I do hope that you will give us the opportunity of looking after you again in the future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

Stayed overnight on business. Hotel is clean, rooms nicely furnished, quality of food in main restaurant ok rather than great, but limited options nearby. Overall OK for an overnighter on business or pleasure, price more than a Premier Inn but better quality.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Holidayinn_Filton, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bristol - Filton, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Bristol Filton.

I am pleased to read that you were satisfied with the facilities and services that we have to offer for your overnight stay; my team and I look forward to the opportunity of looking after you again in the future.

sheffield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

I came here for a family occasion in Horfield- so the location was handy for the M5 and we didn't have to pay city centre prices. It wasn't easy to find though, tucked away behind trees in what is a very built up area with lots of roads going off all over the place.
We arrived about 8:30 in the evening, after a five hour wait in traffic on the M42 and we were very hungry. Family recommended the bar meals so I ordered a burger and a bottle of wine. Yes, it wasn't cheap but service was quick even though the hotel was very busy. I enjoyed my meal- the portions were generous and the wine very welcome! We were pleased to find we had been upgraded to an executive room, the only drawback being that it was right at the end of a very big hotel and on the fifth floor. We did have a view over a green garden, pleasantly surprising in such a built up area.
The room was fine, soon warmed up and spotlessly clean. Rather bizarre that we only got one complimentary Mars bar though! Would rather have had biscuits...
My main complaint was that there were not enough pillows and the headboard, (very badly designed wooden and convex) made it impossible to sit up in bed!
Breakfast was very good- possibly the best I've had in an Holiday Inn. Fresh and lots of choice with, again, friendly, relaxed and calm service.
I go to Bristol often and would now stay here rather than the usual place I stay and would definitely recommend if you are around this area for business or pleasure.

Room Tip: The wooden head board was uncomfortable for sitting up in bed, ask for extra pillows or a room with...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Holidayinn_Filton, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bristol - Filton, responded to this review, November 22, 2013

It is always great to hear our guest’s feedback; your observations and comments are extremely helpful in assisting us to keep our service and standards high. I am delighted that you enjoyed your overall experience, particularly our breakfast offering.

Should you visit us again, please do not hesitate to contact our reception team who will be more than happy to provide you with extra pillows.

Thank you once again for your review, I hope you had a lovely time at your family occasion in Horfield and I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Bristol Filton in the near future.

Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

Easy to find,very clean and comfortable room.free parking and lots of spaces.friendly helpful staff in bar and reception.however,breakfast not served until 7.00am so left hungry in morning.food in bar was good but rather expensive.bar lacked atmosphere and was more geared to business travellers.can't complain at £44 per night for the 3 of us.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Holidayinn_Filton, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bristol - Filton, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us; I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your overall experience at the Holiday Inn Bristol Filton.

I am sorry that you were left feeling hungry. Our breakfast is served from 6.30am on weekdays and 7.00am on weekends; however we do offer an option of a continental breakfast before these times.

Thank you once again for your feedback and I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back soon.

Yorkshire England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Was determined to walk she short distance from Parkway station rather than get a taxi but it was quite hard to find. Lots of parking though. Check in was efficient and room looked out on a grassy quadrangle which made it really quiet. The doors to the rooms closed relatively quietly so one isn't frequently disturbed by the comings an goings of others.
The restaurant was very quiet (Thursday evening) The staff were attentive and pleasant but not keen to go the extra mile to find extra information when asked about hotel or local amenities.
Bed was very comfortable- not too hard- shower worked well without me needing to put glasses on to see the controls! The fridge managed to lock itself at one stage with my wine inside! A quick call to reception though soon put it right, remotely, so clever! Was a bit surprised that there wasn't a Gideon bible in the room. Hope this is rectified. Fortunately I had my own with me.
Internet reception was poor on the ground floor. Had to walk out in the rain for a decent signal or pay the hotel rate, rain it was then!
Hotel has good links with taxi company who arrive very promptly.
Breakfast is typical fare for business hotel

Room Tip: A room facing the quadrangle for peace and quiet
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback and for providing us with detailed observations from your recent stay at the hotel. Please be assured that I have noted all of your comments in order that we can act upon them where appropriate.

I am pleased to read that you found the hotel to be quiet and that your check-in experience was efficient. I will be proud to share your feedback with my front office team.

Thank you once again for taking the time to post your comments and I look forward to the opportunity of looking after you again in the near future.

Lara Beechey

Been to Holiday Inn Bristol - Filton? Share your experiences!