“Not bad just okay.” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: British
Port Neches, Texas
“Not bad just okay.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Probably deserves 3.5 stars. We were in a large group so you can expect service to drop in these situations. I made the mistake of ordering there “Famous Fire Sticks” pass on this and try the Loin of Cod with mussels. The fire sticks dish would come closer to being infamous rather than famous, you get a choice of season (and in my case totally over cooked and tough) protein served over some form of tomato ragout with a side. This dish needs to be totally re-thought as the flavors due not complement each other. My wife had the cod and it was good and a much better selection. The bartenders were great and if I went back I would be tempted to eat at the bar because of their service.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“Great food and setting let down by staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

This place was great. Fantastic food in a great environment. We ate a little late 2100 hours, at about 2200 hours the service from the staff was disappointing as they were seen to be sitting around having their own food (nothing wrong with this but the manager appeared to be more interested in cleaning glasses and dealing with customers appeared to be below him.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
“What’s happened?!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Following a meal my wife and I had last night I feel compelled to express my disappointment in the changes that seem to have taken place since the last time we ate at Seven Shed.

This used to be one of our favourite places to eat in Bristol. It always had a quality A la Carte menu which always delivered on quality. Despite my wife's misgivings at what appeared to be a theme pub style menu I convinced her that it can't have changed that much and that the quality would still be there. How wrong I was.

Our starters of whitebait and calamari resembled nothing of the sort. The whitebait was burnt and tasteless and the calamari were drowned in a huge coating of greasy batter. Having ordered our mains, after a great deal of sifting through what was a far too big a menu, we found the same problem. Hard, re-heated chips, what tasted like cole-slaw from a carton, ribs drowned in an overly salty sauce and an insipid looking minute steak that was in no way rare as requested.

I would normally complain about such food but we were both exhausted after a tough few days and didn't want to go down that process. This morning though, I wish I had.

The wine was good and the service was fine. The bill was very heavy for what appears to be very little skill in the kitchen. Felt like we were paying for location, where as it used to be the opposite feeling - you couldn't believe you were getting such good value in such superb surroundings.

Anyway, we will certainly not be returning and I will be placing this review on various review sites. Why on earth some one has felt compelled to turn such an amazing opportunity into such a low quality dining experience I have no idea.

Olive Shed, Pumphouse, Harbourside, the list goes on. Just wish I had gone with our instincts and not nostalgia last evening.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Great view”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

we just turned up here on a Thursday night at 9pm and luckily got a table outside which was fab overlooking the river. Service was fantastic we had a lovely waitress who got our drinks immediately and an ice bucket on request and just made us feel really welcome. It was a hot evening so it was lovely sitting overlooking the harbour however I thought the food was reasonably priced but not the great. We had skewers to share on a bed of rataouille which were fine but the few starters we ordered were quick yucky - i love crispy squid but they came in thick batter like an onion ring and so did the whitebait and the red pepper houmus came with a miniscuale amout of chopped up pitta - how much does that cost to serve! would go for drinks but not the food sorry

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
bristol
“Pub Food - OK if you like that kind of thing.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

We ate at Severn Shed this week and found the food disappointing. Soggy spinach running in butter and chorizo mixed into it served under a fillet of fish!The 'new potatoes' rather grey in colour and stale tasting. We had a small plate of pork balls for a starter which were highly processed from their "supplier" and were served in what tasted like some tinned tomatoes.(We complained and were not charged for these.) All the indications were that the food is bought in freezer food and very little if any is freshly prepared from scratch.We enjoyed our desserts though...and there was a good choice available.
The service was unpredictable. At times it was difficult to get any attention from staff but at other times the service was rather intrusive as if this was a fast food place. This was a pity as the restaurant wasn't full, but we did notice other customers ate and left quickly.The waiting staff didn't seem on task as far as advising about the menu options either.
If you like pub food then perhaps you will enjoy eating here .....but don't expect to pay pub prices.We think you could do much better at a number of nearby eateries including those down Welsh Back.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere