“Great Mothers Day Meal” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: British
Bath
“Great Mothers Day Meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We went to the Severn Shed on Mothers Day and although it was busy the service was really good. The menu is varied and interesting having something for everyone. The Fire Sticks (large skewers) were really delicious and looked exciting. Had a really relaxed and enjoyable time. Only one comment - the toilets are a bit utility.

• Visited March 2013

56% Recommend
bristol
“A good night out”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

We met up for a few cocktails early on in happy hour and moved to the restaurant to eat later on. The food was good. I had their signature skewers and some lovely potato dauphinois. The staff were attentive and pleasant.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Left Feeling Very Disappointed!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

We have driven past this place so many times...usually on our way for a great lunch at Mud Dock, which we go to regularly with visiting family and friends. So, as for once we weren't driving we decided to give it a go for lunch, as there was a great sounding fixed price lunch menu...

We walked in at around 2pm for a late lunch, and there were maybe 10 other people there, mostly sat at one table. We stood, waiting to be seated, at the entrance for about 5 minutes as several different members of staff came and went...most of whom seemed to be cleaning and tidying the bar - which was completely devoid of customers! It was clear we were supposed to wait for the "right" member of staff to serve us...the bar staff saw us but didn't offer to help. Eventually by moving further into the room someone from the serving team eventually spotted us, and greeted us with a cheery scowl, which screamed "I have better things to do than attend to customers" and took us to a tiny table away from the windows...what's the point of this when its getting on for mid afternoon? It's not like they were struggling for space! The waitress rapidly and disinterestedly reeled out a list of things that were specials, or weren't available...took our orders, and left in a hurry. The reason for this became clear as she and several other members of staff appeared in coats and went home...clearly no one wanted to get involved in serving us as they were waiting to sprint off at the end of their shift!

Our waitress was replaced by a much more friendly and interested member of staff, who suspect was a supervisor. In the meantime we placed our drinks orders - simply a couple of glasses of white wine, which wasn't terribly well chilled, if anything it was closer to room temperature. However, we were so hungry we decided to overlook it and make sure we got cooler glasses upon ordering a refill.

The starter came quickly - very tasty poached egg hollandaise on a muffin...it wasn't generous (half a muffin, a small egg and a bit of sauce really)- but as mentioned, it was tasty. The main courses came quickly: a chicken milanese for my wife, whilst I opted for red snapper on olive mash. Mine was pretty good, although the olive mash was just some cheap tasting olives from a can sliced into it. The fish was very tasty, albeit pretty meagre in proportions - in fact my whole dish was tiny, starter sized really! I later noticed that several other diners' desserts were significantly larger than my main course! I have a real bugbear with restaurants which offer "special" offer meals and simply give you less to compensate for the lower price...in my book that's not giving you any reduction in price, just a reduction in quantity!

The chicken Milanese was served on spaghetti and, seriously, looked just like a Tescos microwave ready meal - just less flavoursome! It was bland and really, really uninspiring...although at least it was a bit closer to being an "adult sized" portion though! However, the chicken breast wasn't whole - it had been cut lengthwise so it looked like one, but was actually half the thickness! Again, this seemed pretty stingey!

So, was our second glass of wine any better? No idea - we weren't offered more drinks, nor did anyone ask how the meal was until after we finished....by which point we had realised that the wine "offers" listed on the reduced price menu were normal bar price anyway, so we simply paid quickly and left!

We were totally underwhelmed in most respects and got the impression that if you order from the "prix fixe" menu you should expect to be treated as a bit of a waste of effort.

Once we left we headed for a local bar where we then proceeded to spend twice the cost of our lunch on some great afternoon drinks (we were on a day off!), which I hope makes Severn Shed feel a bit remorseful, as most places are making a lot of money on their alcoholic drinks rather than the food itself...

As we left, we both looked at each other and said that we won't be back, and we should have stuck to the excellent food and service at Mud Dock...which has a far better atmosphere too!

Dorset UK
“Ate here on my own. How do you think I was treated?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Booked here because I saw Trip Adviser reviews and was going to the Hippodrome afterwards (easy 10 mins walk). So how did it go?
Good time to eat at 6pm because it's not busy and offered table overlooking the river.
My waitress, Aysher (forgive the spelling) was very helpful as I was split between two dishes. I went for the sizzling skewers - and yet again had to make a decision on what to have on the skewers, rump steak and king prawns won the day, with 3 dips,( and a bowl of potato au gratin topped with more grated cheese and I added black pepper and salt. Delicious).
The sizzling skewers are added to a blazing hot plate of peppers, onions and tomatoes. A bowl for the shells and a lemon water bowl to clean my fingers - so often forgotten but essential when you enjoy eating a messy dish with your fingers as well as cutlery. Oh, and washed down with a lovely (room temperature) medium glass of red wine served in a mini caraffe.
I had a 20% discount voucher which I mentioned at the outset and promptly forgot about when given the bill. BUT Aysher remembered and got me another discounted bill.
I loved the food, the service, the view, and the fair price.
I have written quite a few reviews as a solo traveller in UK and abroad and I can honestly say it was a lovely experience, so thank you. Will return next time I go to the Hippodrome.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Pleasant - but noisy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Enjoyed a pleasant evening with girl friends here. Had a lovely meal and the staff were fantastic. Nothing was too much trouble for them. Just a shame that music statred to play rather loud later in the evening - made conversation a little difficult. However this did not spoil a lovely evening. A wee bit pricey but the food and service more than made up for this.

• Visited February 2013