“Not bad but dont mess with the yorkies” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #219 of 1,460 Restaurants in Bristol
Cuisines: European, English, British
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: On the edge of the harbour side, The River Grille features modern European cuisine and a sophisticated lounge bar. In one of Bristol's finest locations, The River Grille has a pianist on Fridays and live jazz on Saturdays. Light and airy, the spacious dining room at The River Grille restaurant has dramatic light features, sleek furnishings and striking views. The contemporary restaurant features a relaxed and informal ambience. The flavoursome dishes on the regularly changing River Grille menus make good use of fine local produce from the West Country. Sample dishes include Grill Steaks from Stokes Marsh Fram - try the 10oz Bourbon and Brown Sugar Sticky Rib eye for a blast of flavour. Other dishes include Rump and Shoulder of Nailsea Lamb with heritage carrots and Whole farmed Sea Bass stuffed with lime and chorizo and fennel salad. Full of imaginative indulgences, the creative dessert menu features sweets like the ever popular Salted caramel and peanut sundae and for a flash back to childhood days try the Trio of Iced Summer Puddings: Neopolitan Parfait, "99" flake and Arctic Roll. For cheese lovers the local West Country Cheeses with Bramley apple chutney and oatcakes is sure to please. The Vintage Afternoon tea features freshly baked scones, along with homemade cakes, pastries freshly made finger sandwiches. All served on vintage traditional 3 tiered stands. Together with a selection of fine teas, all served in vintage crockery. Located on Narrow Quay in Bristol, The River Grille at The Bristol Hotel offers contemporary dining in sophisticated surroundings.
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Not bad but dont mess with the yorkies”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

A very friendly welcome and quickly shown to our window view table. Wine list left with us immediately which was also very attentive.
As others have said, the soup was different to what was on the table which although was very nice for my pallet my wife left hers. The second course from the buffet was of a very high quality but little in the way of salad etc.
The main was not cooked as ordered as I prefer my beef medium rare but both meals were well done. Now my main criticism. Why mess around with the appearance and taste of a traditional British dish? Yorkshire puddings should not have saffron or any other spice added to them and why serve the whole meal on a bread board where the gravy runs off the edges. The poor waitresses looked like Popeye carrying the slabs of wood around.
We hadn't been to this hotel since it's refit but it is certainly an improvement on what it was.
It could do better and I think that we will give it another go to see if it does.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
TheBristolHotel, Manager at The River Grille, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Strange Notion,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your lunch with us.

Firstly please accept my sincere apologies regarding few elements of Lunch that you did not enjoy. I will be looking into the matter personally with my chef. I have taken your comments on board regarding the Mains, Yorkshire and including few salads to the cold section. This will be looked at this week. It is also very encouraging to learn that you will be giving us another opportunity to see if we have implemented the changes suggested by you.
Please do contact me directly by email on Pramod_shaw@doylecollection.com if you do have any other suggestion that we could implement to enhance your experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Regards

“Not Great!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

Went here with the Groupon deal for £25 for 2 people and am delighted that i didnt pay full price as it wasnt all that great!

A few good things and a few bad things!

Firstly the soup we had for our starters was different to what was advertised on the menu (butternut squash) which wasnt a problem as it tasted great but one thing that was odd is that when we asked the waitress what flavour it was (broccoli) she had no idea! I thought this was hysterical and not very professional.

The buffett was great and had a good choice and was tasty, the only problem is that most of the food was very rich and had little choice of salad which was dissapointing but overall was good.

My main was pork loin. It was very boring and not that tasty infact the cut of meat was pretty fatty but i powered through what i could! The vegetables were average roast type and tasted ok. The side of fresh green vegetables looked amazing but to my horror when i tucked in it was covered in butter which is not good. Why they didn't leave that choice to the individual to do i have no idea. Lastly i didn't think serving a meal on a woden board was a great idea especially when you have gravy to poor on, it was very odd indeed.

As for desert it was tasty and had a good choice! My only gripe this time is that the food was under a very hot light! Only for there to not be anything to pick up my pudding with! A bit of a potential health and safety issue.

Over all the food was okish apart from the main. Not sure its worth the full value though! Probably get better value for money in another place.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Roscp
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your lunch with us.

I'm very disappointed to hear about your feedback regarding our weekend lunch and please accept our apology. I was sorry to hear that you did not have an enjoyable lunch overall. I have taken you comments on board about the mains, side and that the cold starters needing more healthy options. I will be passing them on to my chef and will review them personally this week.
As a company we take our guest feedback very seriously and if there are any other suggestion that could help us to improve guest satisfaction please do contact me directly by email on Pramod_shaw@doylecollection.com so that I can look at it more in details.

Regards,
Bristol
“Promising start, let down by the mains”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We went for the four course lunch menu this weekend. The restaurant was lovely, although we were rather close to the table behind us, and both my dining companion and I had to squeeze into and out of our seats rather tightly (we aren't the biggest people either).
The piano player is a definite plus!
The soup was advertised as butternut squash. We were presented with a green unidentified soup.. I asked the waitress what it was and she said she didn't know. When she checked it was broccoli soup. No mention was made as to why this was different from the menu.
The buffet second course was lovely, although not much was labelled. We had to sort of pick and choose and hope for the best. Nothing was labelled as vegetarian, which was a bit confusing for a fellow diner.
The mains were a horrible let down. Everything was on a chopping board, making it impossible to eat (lack of space to cut things!). I had the minute steak which was cooked to death, completely inedible. I was served a mountain of fries. I was not offered any sauces, and found the whole thing very dry. My partner had the pork loin; on the menu it was advertised as being served with roast potatoes, yorkshire puddings and an assortment of other veg. The yorkshire puddings never materialised, and the dish of vegetables was drowned in butter, and inedible again. His pork was half fat. We weren't approached until we'd pretty much finished our mains, and when I raised my complaints with the gentleman who served us he made no comment. The yorkshire puddings are still missing to this very day.

The puddings were buffet style again and very nice (creme brulee, lemon posset, crumble and bread and butter pudding), although the crumbles were served piping hot in little ramekins which were incredibly hard to retrieve from the hot plate without burning yourself!

All in all, an okay experience. Perhaps a little more attentive waitressing and a more on-menu menu would be better :)

• 3 of 5 stars Food
HBGeeBee,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your lunch with us.

I'm very disappointed to hear about your feedback regarding our weekend lunch and please accept our sincere apology. I was sorry to hear that you did not have an enjoyable lunch overall and could have been better if the few minor issues did not occur. I have taken your comments on board i.e. mains not cooked to your liking, side over greasy and to ensure that the right gears are available for service. I will be review them personally with my team this week to ensure that it’s all rectified for a smooth and efficient service.
As a company we take our guest feedback very seriously and if there is any other suggestion that could help us to improve guest satisfaction please do contact me directly by email on Pramod_shaw@doylecollection.com so that I can look at it more in details.
Regards
Worcester
“Positive, positive, positve!!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Delicious food, plenty of choice and extremely well presented.
Our compliments to the chef.
Staff very friendly, incredibly polite and nothing was too much trouble.
You can take your time between courses, did not feel rush at all.
Restaurant atmosphere very relaxed, beautiful views of the harbour, quality people watching.
The whole place is exceptionally clean, tidy and attractively decorated.
Thank you to all the staff at The River Grill for making our first visit to the restaurant such a positive one.
We will visit again very soon.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
“Damn tasty food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

A nice quiet place with a calm atmosphere (the pianist makes things even more relaxing). Couldn't possibly complain about the food, it's fine dining for me! Not exactly the cheapest place to dine but the quality of the food justifies the price. A review here says "food was bland lacking flavours" - either they had a bad chef or their standards are too high. The staff are really nice and professional, made us feel very welcome. Overall a great place to eat.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere