“Yummy tapas and free wi fi !” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: English
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Bath, United Kingdom
“Yummy tapas and free wi fi !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Close to the Bristol Royal Infirmary oncology unit and providing much needed respite, this friendly restaurant was warm and welcoming. The tapas was excellent, tasty and was brilliantly presented. The hot chocolate was served in an urban wood mug and added that special touch. The wi fi was an added bonus meaning I could check my work e mails before going back into the hospital to visit my son.
Lovely lunch - will be back for dinner next ! Can't wait !!

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Cardiff
“Brilliant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Couldn't fault it - great service on a busy Saturday night - we sat on the table in the window & were so well looked after despite being warned of a possible delay - didn't notice it. Great food - the risotto was just amazing. Will definately return....soon!!

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Always excellent - without fail!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

I regularly come to The Urban Woods for no other reason that it is consistently excellent. In the 4 (or maybe 5) years that I have been visiting this well run bar, I have never ever had a bad experience, quite the opposite in fact – always an absolute pleasure to come back! I read over some of the last reviews and would like to completely contradict some of the points made by other reviewers, I have had the fish pie (my joint fave with the burger) and it is excellent. I run some catering establishments myself and know when credit is due, and it most certainly is due here! I have had pretty much every cocktail on the list, and once again, they are all made with precision and expertise. I believe that you get what you pay for – while this place isn't a cheap Weatherspoons, it certainly doesn't rock the back either – main courses are very reasonably priced and are very competitive when you consider what you get for the money. You can genuinely tell when a place takes pride in what they do and when a place cares about what makes it to the customer. I cannot praise the team here enough, and will be visiting time and time again – EXCELLENT!

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Small,nice, but”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

The place is very nice, I would say perfect for couples, not for groups due to the size of the place. The food is good, the range is not very wide but is good. The only thing is that in this place they have live music and this should represent a problem by the moment that the volume is really high. Try it!

Visited January 2013
Colston S, Owner at The Urban Wood, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thanks for the review, you sum us up well. Just wanted to point out that the band that were there while you visited were booked for a private party and were 'soundchecking' for later on. There was a mix up with their arrival time hence why they were playing while you were there. We do have live music nights but these are well publicised and normally a bit more fitting to the 'ethos' of the place. Again thanks for your good review and we hope to see you soon!
ireland
“Used to be good”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I've been to Urban Wood three times in the past year. First time was very good, second time was last week with a group. I had the fish pie - loads of chilli in it which was really odd. Not something you'd expect to find. I mentioned it to staff who confirmed that the chef used chili and perhaps too much. No gesture from staff to make up for unpleasant meal. Tonight I went with my husband. Waste of £40. We had cocktail each - my husband's (cuba libre) that no taste of any alcoholic ingredient while my elder flower gin Collins tasted of a nice lemonade but that was it. £13 for two soft drinks basically. My salad of 'figs, feta and toasted walnuts' had not one walnut (the ingredient that appealed to me most) and was largely lettuce with some feta and a couple of figs. For £6.50. What a rip off! My husband's croque moiesur was basically cheese and ham sandwiche toasted (and very greasy). Had hoped to make this a regular haunt. A pity as it's a lovely setting. Difficult to get attention of staff.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Colston S, Owner at The Urban Wood, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
I am very disappointed to hear of your recent experiences at the Urban Wood. I shall try and address your concerns as they are raised in your review.
Our fish pie does contain some chilli, it is unusual in a number of ways as it also doesn't contain a béchamel sauce (we found that a sauce was dulling the flavour of the fresh fish we use in the pies). The recipe we use has been the same since we first opened our doors over four years ago and has received high praise in professional and diner reviews. This is of course not to say that the chilli wasn't on the heavy side in the pie you had and if that was the case I apologise.

Concerning your meal this friday. I can categorically say that both of the cocktails you received had the right amount of alcohol in. (In the case of the Cubra Libre this would have been a double shot of Havana club 7yr and in the Collins a double shot of Bombay Saphire). neither the staff or I have any interest in short changing our customers in anyway! They are simply too important to us! I appreciate that the following statement is well used by likeminded businesses but we are independent, our reputation is incredibly important to our ethos and our survival, under pouring on drinks is just not an option.
Friday itself was a difficult day for us as due to a 'smattering' of snow none of our suppliers delivered to us. In fact when you ordered your food I had just returned from a manic shopping trip to try and ensure that we were stocked for the weekend. I fully accept that in my haste I may have forgotten to add the walnuts to your salad, for this I apologise however the Croque was cooked in the normal way, panfried in a little butter and then in the oven to melt the cheese. Any grease would only have been a result of the way it is always cooked and its ingredients.
Id be happy to offer you the chance to visit us again and have two meals on us for the inconvenience with the salad.

What concerns me most about your review is that on both occasions you mention that the staff haven't acted in a manner that you would expect. I shall be looking into this straight away.

If you would like to take us up on the offer of the meals then please just ping us an email and it shall be done. I hope that we can once again be 'good' in your eyes.

Kind Regards