“A huge disappointment” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #315 of 1,459 Restaurants in Bristol
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: On the corner of St Lukes Road sits The Star and Dove – a smart, welcoming pub and a favourite among Bristol’s young and trendy locals. Downstairs, there are two separate bar areas where you can lounge around on comfy sofas; while upstairs in the restaurant, the parquet floors, royal blue walls and huge windows create a bright and airy space. There are separate menus too, with the bar menu offering classic pub grub and the restaurant menu serving up top-class European cuisine. As if that wasn’t enough, the kitchen produces a seasonal tasting menu on the first Thursday of every month. There’s a great outside space, a concise wine list and a good selection of draught lagers – what more could you ask for?
bristol england
“A huge disappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

My experience echoes that of 'Never again'. I booked for my birthday about six months early and when one of the chefs wrote in the diary mine was the first booking. As it was a special birthday, they were really good at agreeing a menu that I was happy with. Closer to the time, I asked if they wanted us to pre-order and they did, so my husband did a really helpful spreadsheet detailing which of the starters and mains each of the 33 guests wanted. We handed this in a week before the event.We agreed that my party would have the bar to the right all to ourselves and the S&D said they would put on a bar person just for us.

Fast forward to the event itself and we went earlier in the day to drop the cake off, put balloons up and put the place cards out. The tables were set for 29. I explained that the preorder list was for 33 so they then tried to find another table for us. The initial reaction was to put a table for 4 away from the other guests who were all on one table which I said I was not happy with so they squashed it with the other table. There were not enough chairs but said that another party would be finished by the time mine was started so these would be available.

7pm we arrrived. The welcome drinks were not there to welcome us, there was no bar person just for us and the bar people there were so busy I couldn't get their attention to ask about the drinks so I went upstairs to the kitchen. The sparkling wine did then appear with one person to help just with that. As all my guests had arrived by then, one of my guests ending up helping open the bottles, pour the drinks and hand them out. There was no note on the bar door to say it was a private party so a gatecrasher tried coming in and had to be turned around by one of my friends.

I waited for the staff to tell us when the starters would be ready because I didn't want everyone to be sat down for ages. We did get the nod about 1/2 hour later than planned but first had to find the missing chairs which had not materialised in fact we had less. Some people had to sit on bar stools. Both the starter and main took on the same theme, some people had theirs far earlier than others and had finished by the time others were starting. For the mains, the last beef dishes had no potatoes and despite holding off as long as possible, everyone took the decision to eat their meat before it got cold rather than wait for the potatoes. The separate veg arrived after some had finished eating.

There was no one on the bar just for us and the bar staff ended up directing people to our bar as it would be easier for them to get served so once again the exclusivity was gone.

We understood that there were at least 2 other parties in that night which must have been taken after my booking. I really feel that these additional bookings put my special night in jeopardy. The food when it did arrive was lovely but was far outshadowed by the exceptionally poor service. I've fed this back verbally to one of the chefs and owners. There were a lot of local people in my party and they really missed a trick that night in failing to impress. It is a very high risk business strategy thinking they can rely on the standard of their food alone.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Never Again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

My partner and I had heard only good reviews for this pub so after reading trip adviser thought it worth a visit . We really enjoyed our food and the experience so booked a table for 20 friends on the 22nd Dec pre theatre dinner. What a complete disaster . We ate downstairs in the Dining Room which was cold had no atmosphere was not at all Christmassy (we turned on the Christmas tree lights ourselves and dimmed the lighting )We then took a look at the menu !! Total surprise a revised menu with very limited options hardly any choice for the veggie in our party and no choice of side dishes at all, no veg no salad and were told only a few potatoes. !!!!! Also what was on the menu i.e mushroom they only had 6 servings left etc etc We had booked in Oct and I had spoken to the chef that day but they seemed totally unprepared for us. A few of my friends who were unable to get there on time had chosen their food from the web site menu I was then informed that those menus are just a sample and were not a option resulting in us having to ring our friends to get their choices very shambolic. We registered our displeasure at this time and would have left but not sure we would have found anywhere for the entire party of us. The food was finally served we asked for bread as a substitute for any form of veg. Two people had ordered white bait only one served when asked for the second dish was told they only had one serving left they did not tell us that a point of ordering and was now to late to re order and that person had to leave without food. A lot of planning had gone into this night and the Star and Dove managed to totally ruin the eve for us all instead of a nice relaxing meal before the theatre it was chaotic not professional and left us feeling really dissatisfied . I will never eat there again or will the rest of the party and of course would never recommend it ,in this economic climate to survive in business you have to try a good deal harder than the Star and Dove

bristol
“Our new favourite restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

After searching for somewhere unique to take my husband out for a birthday dinner, I was recommended The Star and Dove by a foodie friend.
Boy did this place knock our socks!
I decided not to tell my husband where we were going and parking up, he was a little puzzled. Looking like a pub, he thought he was in for some below average food, as you'd expect. Wrong!
We were taken upstairs by a lovely member of staff to The Dining Room. Gorgeous! We had our coats taken, seated in a small lounge area whilst we poured over the menu before being seated. We chose not to have the dishes explained as it added to the element of surprise. I chose the Salamongundy, a salmon mousse over chicken with tiny baby veg perched on top. That's all I will say about the actual food as I don't want to ruin the surprise and the fine attention to detail in it all.
Sat by the window, eating amazing food at only £21 for 2 courses you couldn't get better than this. We have eaten in a LOT of places in Bristol but this beats them all.
Hats off to you guys, we'll be back very soon!

Cardiff, United Kingdom
“What a Christmas gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

Tucked away in Totterdown this restaurant is definitely worth a visit. We visited last night for our office Christmas meal and we sat down for a traditional Tudor banquet. We certainly ate like kings! Our menu included venison pie, pheasant, chicken in gruel (v.tasty), mullet in gravy, bream, veal meat balls, roast veg and pine nuts, white wine jelly, egg custard pie, and oranges made from clotted cream. I'm sure I've left a few dishes off here - we had a lot! The food was of excellent quality, the atmosphere homely, warm and welcoming, and they had a great drinks offer including an extensive range of cask beers. It was excellent value too, only £30 for a 15 course meal!! I can't recommend this pace enough and I'm already looking forward to my next visit.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
“The Best Unique Christmas Feast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

What an amazing Christmas feast we had last night, the chefs have researched Tudor feasts and produced 15 fantastic dishes, pheasant, venison, bream, veal, salmon to name a few. All this for £30 per head.

The range in the bar deserves a mention as the cask ale and bottle range is very good.

This place is well worth a visit, but make sure you book it is getting very busy.

Can not wait to go back again.