“Beware the hassle at check-in!” 3 of 5 stars

YHA Bristol
4.0 of 5 Hostel   |   14 Narrow Quay, Bristol BS1 4QA, England   |
Ranked #11 of 48 Specialty Lodging in Bristol
Truro, United Kingdom
“Beware the hassle at check-in!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I am a member of the YHA and have stayed in several hostels but I have never experienced a check-in like the one I had in Bristol. Living within 200 miles of the hostel and travelling by coach I had no need to bring my passport or driving licence. I was however carrying the print-out of my booking and also my YHA membership card, which surely should have been sufficient. However on check-in this proved not to be the case. Unable to produce a driving licence or a passport, I offered photo ID in the form of a concessionary bus pass but that was declined and I was then asked for two credit or debit cards. I had one debit card on me, which was eventually accepted, though why it was needed when I had already paid in advance for the room heaven only knows. There was nothing on the YHA website that said you had to carry all this extra documentation. I wonder how many other people have been caught out? I have emailed the YHA head office for an explanation but as yet have had no reply.
Having got that gripe out of the way, I have to say the position of the hostel on the waterfront is ideal. I had a single room on the fifth floor, not en-suite but the showers and toilets were close by. The room was clean and tidy, apart from the waste bin, which someone had forgotten to empty. The lift only goes to the fourth floor so the last bit is by stairs. I did wonder how well I would sleep as the waterfront is noisy at night but I was pleasantly surprised at how quiet it was by midnight. The breakfast in the morning was OK.
I had no trouble in finding this hostel when walking from the bus station and I guess it took me 10 - 15 minutes.
Would I stay here again? Well yes I guess I would as it is in such a good position and so reasonably priced but they really need to sort out their check-in procedure.

Room Tip: Don't forget to take plenty of photo ID
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Welling
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

The hostel, which caters for groups and individuals of all ages, is situated along the waterfront, in the heart of Bristol in the south west of England, as plenty of amenities to relax and pass the time away, listening to live entertainment or visiting one of the many bars and cafes available. Check Bristol entertainment Guide for various events taking place throughout the year. For those wishing to shop there are two good malls, Cabot Circus and The Galleries together with high street stores and banks. Those more energetic can stroll through the parks and up to the castle. River boat cruises and bus sight seeing tours can be taken to learn the history of how the city was built on the Slave Trade. Children can visit the local zoo.

Bristol has a coach and railway station taking you to different parts of Great Britain. Taxis can be called outside these and luggage can be dropped off and picked up from outside the front of the hostel. The reception area is facing the waterfront comprising of a bar area selling food/alcohol/soft drinks. The reception staff are friendly and helpful. A lift takes you to each floor meaning it is wheelchair accessible and not a problem for luggage.

There are three televisions In the hostel where sports can be watched and enjoyed with friends. One being in the games room in the basement near the laundry room where pool can be played. Tokens for washing can be purchased from reception. Wifi facilities are available on the ground floor and mezzanine areas free to members or can be purchased through Global Gossip, required for making international calls. The mezzanine consists of tables and sofas in which to take it easy.

The dormatories consist of four to six beds in bunks, private rooms are also available. Individual lockers are in each room for personal belongings. A downstairs luggage room is on the ground floor when checking in and out which consists of paid lockers if required. For those self catering there is a large kitchen on the first floor with cookers and fridges, breakfasts can be purchased from the restaurant and food is served throughout the day but closes in the evening. Sandwiches and soft drinks can be purchased in the bar area.

9-10 Location/local amenities/friendly staff

Sometimes the lift is out of action/ quite away from mainline stations.

Room Tip: Make sure the lift is working up to the dormatories
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

We have visited this hostel on numerous occasions but only to the excellent cafe for tea and cakes. We decided to stay a night to see the Gromit exhibition which we all thoroughly enjoyed. We had a six-bedded room which was a fair size but did not have any view to speak of. We did not eat in the hostel but did make use of the bar at night which had a good selection of reasonably priced drinks. There is no on site parking but there is a NCP car park on the street behind the hostel which we found very convenient. We found everything to be really clean and could not really find fault with anything. We would definitely stay again, the location right there on the waterfront is hard to beat

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I have to say, before booking the room (in a dorm) I was a bit skeptical as I had not been staying in a hostel for quite some years. However, given the competitive rate I had to book it there.
I cannot emphasize how positively surprised I have been once there! The hostel was indeed extremely clean -as reported in the reviews I had previously seen here- and tidy. The common room were, again very clean and very cosy, you really felt like spenidg your time there. The room was also very clean and cosy and the bathroom too.
The only small thing is that they could have provided free internet access to their own guests...
I had to rent a towel as I forgot mine at home and I did rent it for only 2 pounds (not per day, for the the whole stay). You can also buy a padlock ( £3).
At least but not last, it is in a very nice location, in front of the harbour :)
I came from the bus station and it was not very easy to find it though...if you fly easy jet and you take the flyer bus from the airport to the city, the best stop to get off to reach the hostel is Temple Meads, from there it is 10 min walking distance.
All in all, a very comfortable stay, would def recommend it!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
South Sudan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

The staff we dealt with were extremely friendly and helpful, showing us where to go on a map and suggesting places that were worth checking out.

The room was completely comfortable and spacious.

There was a plenty of 'communal' space to make friends.

Absolutely fantastic location! Close to everything we wanted to see & do. Great bars and shops all around, and lovely views right by the water.

All in all, a great place to stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

I'd never visited Bristol before, and chose the YHA as my place to stay. You cannot beat the location, but can the 'service' which I found sloppy. During check-in I was advised that I needed to show photographic identification as it was company policy, even though I'm British and wasn't aware of this. I then spent ten minutes waiting for a lift, only to be told it was a key swipe system - which, wasn't obvious. There is wifi, but I found it to be more expensive than similar London venues. The city itself however is a beautiful place, and I will definitely be back to the West Country.

• Stayed August 2013
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Room 401 was great; spacy, good ventilation, provide individual elec outlet and light.
Room 205 has only small window, quite hot in summer, no individual elec outlet or light.
There are no ensuite bathrooms for above rooms but have a wash basin in each room.
Good value of breakfast at 4.99 pounds
Should provide free-wifi
Great location, near visitor centre, M-Shed, @Bristol, restaurants for hang out in the evening

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Been to YHA Bristol? Share your experiences!