“What has happened to the 'specials' selection?” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 14 Restaurants in Woburn
Cuisines: English
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: The Birch is a family owned restaurant and bar of individual style, set on the outskirts of the prestigious ancient market town of Woburn in Bedfordshire. At the Birch we are passionate about sourcing the freshest ingredients from farms and estates throughout the country, cooked by our team of talented, highly qualified chefs.We pride ourseleves on looking after our customers and have gained a repuation for offering excellent fresh food all delivered with a friendly smile in a welcoming environment.The Birch is the perfect place to socialise with friends, entertain clients or meet up for a special family occassion.
Milton Keynes
“What has happened to the 'specials' selection?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

As regular diners at the Birch for many years, we obviously rate it very highly. The food, atmosphere and service are all excellent, and we are always made to feel most welcome. But what has happened to the selection of specials? There used to be a much wider selection, especially of the main course, and each one was a true 'special' - a unique fine dining experience and well worth the extra price. Recently, however, as well as being fewer, the specials tend to be fish, not meat. Not being a fan of fish, I have been disappointed and have had to resort to the standard menu a little too often. Please bring back the variety of excellent specials you offered in the past!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
James C, Owner at The Birch at Woburn, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to email your views on your recent visit to The Birch. Glad to hear that you consider our food and service excellent which which is much appreciated.

I have taken on board your views regarding our specials and will speak to the kitchen team with a view to offering more meat based products.

Once again, thank you for your constructive comments.

Milton Keynes
“Lovely Christmas lunch!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

We had our office Christmas lunch here last year and it was one of the nicest ones we have ever had! I wanted to go again this year but we left it too late to book! Have been here on other occasions as well and the food was just as good.

London, UK
“Food nothing special, great service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I'd heard people raving about this place, so my partner and I went one mid-week evening. It's beautifully decorated inside and the staff were fantastic - really couldn't fault the service. We had three courses each. My parter thought his ham hock for main was absolutely amazing - to be fair, if he was writing this review, he would give a higher score than I am doing. My soup was lovely, but the vegetarian platter I had for main tasted really quite horrible, although it was presented very well. There was a lot of confusion about the size of wine glass that was considered 'standard' - we didn't think 250ml was a standard size glass... but anyway, that's a minor point.

Our desserts were probably the biggest disappointment. The baked alaska got me excited - hadn't made those since I was a little girl! - but it wasn't baked, just uncooked egg white blasted briefly with a blow-torch. Not nice. My partner said his was okay but they were quite expensive and we just expected higher quality. I probably wouldn't go back, but then lots of other reviewers seem to love it, so maybe it's just not so good for vegetarians like me!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
James C, Owner at The Birch at Woburn, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your vegetarian platter. The Birch vegetarian platters are usually excellent and I apologise if this was not the case when you visited.

We have a number of regular clientele who are vegetarians or who have specific dietary requests and todate we have received no other adverse comments regarding the content. However, I will certainly speak to the chef regarding producing platters which are suitable for all palettes.

With regard to the standard size glass for serving our wine, we have always used a 250ml glass since operating The Birch over 15 years. However, if customers wish to have wine served in a 175mi glass this is not a problem and we are happy to accommodate customer requests.

I am also sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the Baked Alaska. However, the meringue is only cooked in the oven for a short time and is a soft meringue not a crisp one. However, that does not excuse you not enjoying your dessert and I will discuss with the kitchen team how your Baked Alaska was cooked.

I do hope that you will visit us again to enable us to portray our usual excellent standard of food that The Birch is renowned for.
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Shame”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

This is the second time I have been to the Birch and unfortunately it was not as good as the first visit. Food was good but some of the staff did not make me feel very welcome which made the evening very disappointing.

Visited February 2013
Hello Pat

I am sorry to hear that your second visit to The Birch was not as good as your first.

I can assure you that I will investigate fully your complaint that the staff did not make you feel welcome as this is certainly not the image that we wish to portray to our customers.

Meanwhile could you please contact The Birch with your contact telephone number in order that I can speak with you personally.

Kind regards

James Campbell
Owner
“Fantastic Meal - couldn't fault it...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Visited on a busy Saturday night - had to book a month in advance to get a table for our party of 6 at 2030hrs) but the way the tables are set and the lay out of the restaurant, it didn't feel crowded or too noisy.
Were told about today's specials - lots of fish dishes - and left with menus to look at. There was always someone nearby to explain anything we were unsure of.
Starters were all good although the battered halloumi, although delicious, was probably a 'heart attack' waiting to happen. Ate it minus the batter. A caeliac in our party was told most options were ok for him and his started of potted beef came with a special wheat free roll, which we thought was nice.
For main you can choose off the varied menu and they have a griddle section - steaks, sea bass, crevettes, and you get 2 sides with this. I had sea bass (3 of us did), 1 skate wing and 2 different steaks. I chose the market vegetable side and french fries - delicous mixture of veg and generous portion of fries.
I shared a dessert - sticky toffee pudding with banana and banana ice cream. Amazing! My partner had cheese and biscuits and this was a very generous portion that he couldn't finish.

All in all, a great experience. Its not the cheapest of places but I definitely think we got what we paid for. Will be back and will make sure I book in advance!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
James C, Owner at The Birch at Woburn, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your opinion regarding your recent visit to The Birch.

We do aim to please all our customers and are delighted to hear that we achieved this on the day you visited.

Although we may not be the cheapest restaurant, our prices are keen, especially as we only use fresh ingredients, many locally sourced, helping to support small businesses in the area.

We look forward to seeing you again at The Birch