“Nice people, average rooms” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Longs Inn Hotel

Save Saved
You added Longs Inn Hotel to your Saves list
Longs Inn Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   18 Bedford Street, Woburn MK17 9QB, England (Formerly Magpies Hotel)   |
Ranked #2 of 3 hotels in Woburn
surrey
“Nice people, average rooms”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I stayed here just for one night while visiting nearby Woburn Abbey, The building seems a little confused whether it wants to be a pub, restaurant or hotel. The bar area is very small and was dominated by a blaring TV despite there being just four of us in there and none watching TV, which i suspect was for the benefit of the barman. The room we were given (2) was on the first floor above the pub but as there were few people in, it wasn't noisy. As we opened the door, we realized the door hit the bed, so one person had to go in, push up the door, walk around it and then open it for the second. This seemed a bit odd until we realized that if the double bed had been pushed further over, it obstructs the bathroom door, which opens outwards. It really isn't big enough to be a double room and was quite cramped. The bathroom was seriously tiny!
It was a cold night and the room was very cold, there is a tiny radiator under the window, not big enough for the size of room and very heavy floor length curtains over it. We slept in our clothes. The windows are single glazed and don't fit well, the reason the for the thick curtains I guess. I understand the building is very old and that maybe the windows can't be changed but we had a very poor night's sleep with the cold and the noise of the cars outside all night, unfortunately hitting a loose manhole cover, not the hotel owners fault at all.
An included cooked breakfast was offered if you had booked direct with the hotel, or a cold breakfast if you hadn't. This wasn't a surprise as there was a notice on the wall announcing it but it seems very strange to persecute those that book through Late rooms or another site in this way. The owners say it is because they pay commission to the websites which then means they can't afford to include a cooked breakfast but I would think that without these websites, they would be struggling to fill rooms. Better to charge a little more for the room and include cooked breakfast? The cold breakfast was extremely limited so we opted to pay £6.50 each for a cooked one and despite my grievances it was delicious.
I won't be coming back, but it has a certain charm if you like old buildings.

Room Tip: 2 is very noisy from the road and ill fitting windows

130 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I stayed here last weekend with my husband and 2 children and this place is fantastic. The staff were very welcoming and as we were arriving late the owners kindly made arrangements for us to check in late without any problem.the rooms were nice and clean and the breakfast was fab. We also ate here on one night and they were great at catering for 2 very fussy children!. A big thank you to the managers/ owners for their help and we will defiantly be booking this again in the summer when we plan to visit the safari park nearby.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Nottingham Uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Clean functional good double room,lovely sweet little hotel,tea /coffee in room excellent breakfast,bath/shower very good. very good value,exceptionally nice place to stay or eat in the restaurant ,will go again

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We had been staying in Milton Keynes for the weekend and wanted to go out with relatives for Sunday lunch. We tried other places who all seemed to see that we had two young children and told us they were full despite no tables being occupied. We walked through the town at Woburn thinking that we were going to be unlucky and we decided to stop here. It was small inside and we thought we would be turned down again there being 7 of us altogether. Despite saying they were busy they managed to pull some tables together and seat us in comfort. The sunday lunch we had was actually the best I have eaten in a pub for absolutely ages. The meat was tender and tasty and of good quantity and quality. The roasties were perfect which seems to be difficult in other places. These were lovely and crisp on the outside and fluffy inside. Their veg was not run of the mill, peas and carrots. They had braised red cabbage and two other kinds of veg all well cooked. Their horseradish looked home made and was brilliant. The waitress was lovely and very helpful. Their sweets were also home made with home made proper custard. The standard of the food here is high quality and they made a real effort to make sure we were happy and comfortable. We would be very happy to eat here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Ampthill, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

My wife and I are are seasoned hotel guests we booked ourselves in to this hotel for a local night out, we unfortunately due to a new Ipad and an error on dates booked the Friday when we meant to book the Saturday, stupid mistake I know but a mistake non the less. Where things take a bizarre turn is getting a phone call from the hotel manager at 12.00 am that's not a mistake, I do actually mean MIDNIGHT, to find out why we had "not shown" now as I had already paid for the room in advance no matter how hard I try I cannot understand why any one would do that, after an hour or so we managed to nod off again, I had come to the conclusion that it must have been because this chap was kindly sat by the door waiting for us to show up and was waiting to go home, but that turned out to be incorrect as he sent us an email at 4 am which woke us up again as the bloody Ipad was left on, Bizarre carry on really, I am left assuming that he was just miffed as we had not turned up, I am making that assumption as despite a couple email messages and a phone call he has not bothered to respond at all. So if you want to stay at a hotel where the manager acts like a 4 year old child and is completely uncooperative if you have a problem then this is the hotel for you, in the end we stayed just up the road at the Inn at Woburn and had a smashing time, it was more expensive but the staff could not have done more unlike this chap who does not seem to care at all
What ever happened to service from the small business it used to always be the best, what a shame Longs Inn you let us down.......,.......

Room Tip: Stay at the Inn at Woburn
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
David_and_Sharron, Owner at Longs Inn Hotel, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Thank you for your feedback.

We are disappointed that your experience with Longs Inn is not up to the standard we expect to provide. As a small family run hotel we pride ourselves on providing a flexible and personalized service for our guests.

I can understand your frustration at us calling you late in the evening especially as you thought you had booked for the following evening. However our check-in time is from 2pm to 11pm and we often call guests that have not arrived by 11pm to make arrangements for a late check in.

I can confirm that your card has not yet been charged because we were trying to provide you with alternative dates so that you don't end up paying us for a room that you booked incorrectly. As you can appreciated we will be charged by Late rooms for the commission, so we will be taking payment but hoped to do so in a way that you didn't lose out.

As you have pointed out the booking you made was for the wrong date and in order to try to accommodate you on the day you intended to book we sent you an email the same evening offering you an alternative room at no additional charge. I was conscious of the of the fact we only had one room available, and was trying to ensure we accommodated you.

We do hope we can greet you in the future.

Kind Regards
Sharron & David, Longs Inn
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Myself and husband stayed just one night in a courtyard room. Very quiet and everything we needed and very reasonable rate. Breakfast was freshly cooked and really good. Staff were lovely and very helpful. Would stay again and try eating there next time.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back ad the front is on main road.
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I'm a regular business traveller and often working in Milton Keynes, I try to stay away from the large chain hotels because I just don't feel I'm valued as a customer, and I get fed up with plastic food!

My usual non-chain hotel was full and I needed to find somewhere at short notice. I tried Longs Inn, and from my initial phone call the whole experience was fantastic. I spoke to a lady on the phone to was able to describe the rooms on offer, and I was able to get a double room en suite on the ground floor.

WiFi is a key need for me, as I often work into the evening, and I was able to get a reliable connection in my room and the bar with no problems at all.

My room was modern, clean and quiet. I had a lovely meal in the restaurant, the menu is quite small but with enough variety and a specials board - the chap serving me said it was all locally sourced and freshly cooked and it certainly lived up to it! I also got a free glass of wine (it was an offer for hotel guests).

Breakfast was the usual selection of cerials, etc. Cooked breakfasts looked good, although I did only have the continential.

All in all a great find, and I will be a regular.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to Longs Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!