“Friendly, welcoming and comfortable hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added The Priory Hotel to your Saves list
and 1 more site!
The Priory Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Priory Lane | Stretton Sugwas, Stretton Sugwas, Hereford HR4 7AR, England (Formerly New Priory Hotel)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Stretton Sugwas
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Friendly, welcoming and comfortable hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

I stayed for one night while in the area and found the hotel to be perfect for my stay. I was warned on booking of a party that would also be in that night....great to be warned and I was put in a room away from the noise. Very thoughtful. I ate dinner in a separate room but did not feel forgotten and the food was delicious. This is a small hotel which is family run and very amenable. Would definitely return if in the area again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
HerefordshireOwner, Manager at The Priory Hotel, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
HI Mel
Thank you for your kind review. We do try our best to make sure guests are well informed of anything that may affect their stay and we are glad you found this to be helpful.
Hopefully see you again,

47 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Brit Abroad
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

Because of my job, I am lucky enough to get to eat here fairly often! The food is always first class, and even though they are busy serving wedding guests when I am there, the service is always fast and the dinner is always delicious. I really enjoy my meals at The Priory! I have also brought my husband and family here for Sunday Lunch which was equally delicious with fabulous service. Chris, Chris and the rest of the staff are always very friendly and chatty, and it's always a pleasure to come here for weddings. It has a lovely welcoming, warm and homely atmosphere and is in a great location not too far out of Hereford.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
HerefordshireOwner, Manager at The Priory Hotel, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review! We haven't seen much of you recently but glad that we're still at the back of your mind.
This is a wonderful review of our wedding food, which we serve to a high standard and although you don't get to choose what you eat, as it is the bride and grooms choice, we're glad that you enjoy what we serve you.
Don't be a stranger, it would be great to see you again soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

Just got home after a three night stay at the Priory whilst working in the area. After staying in numerous hotels whilst working away I can honestly say this is one of the best. Whilst it may not have a pool and a gym etc it certainly has plenty of character and above all else extremely friendly and helpful owners. Chris and his wife Chris provided the type of service you could only wish for, a rare quality these days. Being a small family run hotel there was a lot of attention to detail especially in the food and the rooms. The room decor and style was excellent and more importantly the double bed was very comfy. The food in the restaurant was reasonably priced about £30 for a three course meal and a drink and it was worth every penny. The presentation, quality and taste was fabulous and I can certainly recommend the Duck or the Ribeye steak, all of the menu was home cooked not mass produced. Whilst I don't enjoy working away from home this hotel certainly made my time away very comfortable, so much so that I plan to visit again in the summer with my wife to explore the area and maybe have an afternoon tea and a stroll round the grounds of the hotel which look lovely on the photos, I did not get the chance to see them in daylight during my stay due to work etc. Ignore the reviews from some time ago as now it is under new management the hotel has been completely refurbished. Definitely worth a visit if in the area, all in all a very pleasant experience all round.

Room Tip: Room 4 is a small double with excellent decor and a comfy bed
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
HerefordshireOwner, Manager at The Priory Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Alan,
We're so glad you felt accommodated at The Priory Hotel. Shift work is never easy but we hope we made you as comfortable as possible between shifts.
You review really sums up the hotel and hopefully will put across to prospective guests that its a good option to go for if looking to stay in the area. We have been at The Priory Hotel for 6 1/2 years and hopefully the old reviews are now far enough down the page that people will see we're new owners.
We do hope to see you and you wife next year.
Plymouth, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

I have stayed in a large number of hotels throughout the year, I found The Priory Hotel to rate above the rest. It is a charming hotel, in lovely grounds. Ran by a lovely friendly family, who were approachable, flexible and friendly throughout. I worked a varied shift pattern and my needs and requirements were accommodated and without issue. I only had a couple of opportunities to sample the food at the hotel, given my work pattern, but wow.... the meals I ate were 5* all the way! Great delivery, presentation and produce! I stayed once in September 2013, once in October and again November 2013. I will have no hesitation to book and stay again given the opportunity! The hotel is suitable for families, couples and Business. It is located very close to Credenhill and only 10 minute drive from Hereford town centre. Excellent, keep up the great work!

Room Tip: Room 8, four poster bed!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Alan, thank you so much for your lovely review.
We really enjoyed having you stay with us and we're glad that you were pleased with the service you received. We aim to be both friendly and accommodating and its nice to have guests who really appreciate what we strive to offer to each and every person who stays at the hotel.
Hope to see you again soon (but maybe not too soon :))
Chris & Chris
P.S. Thank you for the choccies, we enjoyed them on Sunday
Surrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

We chose to stay at The Priory Hotel after looking at the highest rated hotels in Hereford... this place won our booking because the photo of the lovely big lawn. We wanted somewhere for our energetic 18-month-old son to run about. It turned out to be a real gem.
We stayed in a lovely big spacious room with a four-poster bed and plenty of room for the travel cot. When you travel with a toddler the small things make all the difference - there was a small fridge on the landing (just outside our room) that kept fresh milk for guests, which we were able to use to keep our son's milk and food in, bottles were taken and washed for us, food was heated up etc. Nothing was too much trouble it seemed... they even set a dinner table up especially for us in a lounge just by our room on our first night so we could eat together without disturbing our son.
Fantastic food, friendly and thoughtful service in a charming and beautifully decorated house. Highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Room 5 had a lovely view of the lawn and was a big spacious room.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
HerefordshireOwner, Manager at The Priory Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a kind review for our hotel.
We aim to accommodate all guests needs where possible and customer care really is our top priority! We're glad that on the most part the reviews reflect what you find here and hope you will come and stay with us again.
Many thanks,
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

I haven't visited this hotel but booked over a month in advance for a November 2013 long weekend there.

Despite special instructions with booking with details of a 4 year old well behaved small terrier, they have just refused to refund a (booking.com) cancellation fee when I phoned them to confirm the booking 3 days after making it a month in advance.

Seems like an unreasonable & inflexible approach to customer service to me.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
HerefordshireOwner, Manager at The Priory Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
I am so sorry you feel this way but we are not advertised on here, our website or bookings.com as pet frienldy, as we are unable to accommodate pets effectively. You chose to proceeded and make a booking through a third party agent, rather than directly contacting ourselves, and it clearly states the non-refundable £25.00 booking deposit taken at time of booking.
We actually offered to make arrangements for you to be able to bring your dog, however, you declinded our offer - this being considered, we went above and beyond to try and accommodate yourselves therefore offering the best customer service we could without jepordising our hotel and future guests by accepting a pet.
Frimley Green, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

I have now stayed at this hotel on two occasions and both times have had a good stay. The hotel is located aprox 3 miles from Hereford. You are guaranteed a warm welcome the food is excellent the only word of caution is that they only have 12 rooms and book up very quickly. They are also registered for weddings. You are guaranteed peace and quiet as it is well off the main road.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
HerefordshireOwner, Manager at The Priory Hotel, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Our location is just down a quiet leafy lane ensuring your of the peace and quiet enjoyed by yourself, but easy access to all main roads.
We are a family run hotel and always offer a warm welcome with customers on first name terms and many guests returning time and again.
We look forward to your booking when next in the area, but book early to avoid dissapointment.
Thank you for your kind words Chris, Chris & Nadia

Been to The Priory Hotel? Share your experiences!