“Excellent” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Peacock at Rowsley

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Rowsley
The Peacock at Rowsley
You added The Peacock at Rowsley to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Bakewell Road | Peak District, Rowsley, Peak District National Park DE4 2EB, England   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Rowsley
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Stockport, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

Recently returned from a one night stay at The Peacock and I have to say it was excellent. Got an excellent DB&B deal for Monday night. The food was superb and beautifully cooked. Our room was very good, a decent size too. The staff were friendly but without being 'too friendly'.

If I had to pick a fault (s), then I would say for a hotel of this quality and price then a full cooked breakfast SHOULD be included in the price and not as a extra expense.

I would also ask why milk can't be provided in the rooms? Surely they could provide those small cartons you always see and then anyone that wants fresh can request that. Instead you have to ask for fresh milk from reception.

Would I return again though ? You bet !

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Belper, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

Me and my girlfriend have visited the Peacock several times for lunch and dinner. As it was my birthday she decided to treat me to a nights stay. On arrival all the staff were very pleasant and helped in every way. We were showed to our room where we were pleasantly surprised as the room was huge and absolutely gorgeous, the room was very elegant and clean. Complimentary teas and coffees were lovely then later on to dinner. The food was fantastic but I have to take my hat off to them for catering to my gluten free diet, I wasn't left feeling like i was missing out. After a great meal we vacated to the bar which was to me the best part of the building, so much character and age. The staff were fantastic but what really made that night for us is Peter. His service, his knowledge and his drinks are the best we've ever had! 5 stars to him. Oh and his memory is great, he remembered a party we had there 5 years ago, even the drink I've been trying to remember for years. Amaretto sours all the way. Thank you to you all, had a memorable stay. Will see you soon.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Canterbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

This was my third visit to The Peacock at Rowesley and for a relaxing few days in beautiful countryside it can't be bettered. Staff are friendly and engaging, the restaurant is quiet and elegant and the rooms are comfortable and characterful. The hotel's mix of high standards of comfort and cuisine with a distinct atmosphere all of its own make this an ideal getaway.

Room Tip: Upper rooms have lovely views but each room I have stayed in has character and is perfectly good.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Burton on Trent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

Fabulous fabulous! Fantastic service, superb food, beautiful room and lovely staff. First class and now in our top 5 - and we have eaten all over the world. The ambiance of the bar and restaurant were perfect, and nothing was too much trouble.

Room Tip: I imagine all rooms are excellent.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

I stayed at the Peacock for 2 nights while attending a friend's wedding in the area. The hotel is in a lovely old building (1692 is the date over the door), and the rooms are luxurious.

On arrival, I was offered complimentary tea of coffee with home-made shortbread and told firmly not to carry my own luggage. There was a slight confusion in that I's booked a double room for single occupancy, but when i arrived I was asked when my partner would be arriving! However, the room was lovely, and staff very welcoming. I had room 15 which overlooks the garden, and it was very quiet, despite the hotel being right on the A6.

We didn't dine at the hotel but I had the breakfast buffet each day, which was varied and generous - cereal, toast, croissants, yoghurt, fresh fruit, ham, cheese, and muffins were all available, with waffles or porridge available on request.

My waffle was rather disappointing, and I was slightly surprised, given that the room costs over £200 a night, that cooked breakfast is not included in the room rate, but it has to be admitted that the buffet does provide an excellent start to the day.

There were a couple of minor irritations - I cannot imagine who thought it would be a good idea to design a bathroom with a full-length mirror on the back of the door facing the WC, for instance. the shampoo wasn't replaced in my room for the second morning despite my having used up what was provided the first night - my friends mentioned they were only only left one chocolate between them when the bed was turned down, so it does seem that there is sometimes a slight lack of attention to detail.

Also, it would be nice if fresh milk were available in the room, rather than having to ring down for it - there is a small fridge, so it would not be difficult!)

That said,these are very minor issues, and if the hotel was not so expensive I wouldn't bother commenting about them.

All in all, however it's a lovely place to stay, and the hotel has details of local walks and, I believe, arrangements for fishing for those who wish.

I think this would be lovely place for a romantic get away.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

Having not been to the Peacock ( fondly thought of as my favourite restaurant in the world!) than a year , we had dinner there last night. I am not surewhat has happened but we were very disappointed! The service was impeccable, as was the bread, amuse bouche , pre dessert (gorgeous) and petit fours but the meal itself was not very good.

Firstly the high rise in price since our last visit...the starters price has nearly doubed and the main courses jumped up to a whopping £35 ! However thats fine for great food but sadly this just wasnt. Starter of a haddock ravioli, looked great but rather bland, next Derbyshire pork with rhubarb ( did nt work) and miniscule bits of veg, i really feel that £ 35 for a pork chop is excessive! Dessert mille feuille, hard and dry ! What has Happened to the lovely " fine dining" good value dinners the Peacock used to serve?

We are very used to " fine dining" and know exactly what to expect , Michel Bras it was not but the price was!

Room Tip: Did not stay just dinner.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Whaley Bridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

Booked ahead for Tue 25 Feb as a late Valentine lunch (postponed without fuss from 20th due to illness). Having announced ourselves we were thereafter referred to by name by all the staff and received timely but not obtrusive attention. Dominic provided a regular Rioja in the bar (I was driving) from a very adequate wine list and Paolo escorted us to our table. We chose from the "light" menu but it was more than enough and quite imaginative. J. had the prawn cocktail followed by the haddock in batter whilst I had the goat curd with beetroot and pear, followed by smoked haddock with crispy egg. All were excellent, with attentive but discrete attention. Pudding was the rhubarb sundae for me and the trio of sweets for J. We left no morsel but left the hotel vowing to return and very pleased we made the 45min journey to get there. Maybe we should stay next time?

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Peacock at Rowsley? Share your experiences!