The hotel/pub is easy to find as it is on the A6. Big car park and an attractive old building ( I think originally it was the Station Hotel as it is near the old railway station) . Inside was a bit of a disappointment as it is has clearly recently had the full design makeover and apart from the sash windows any evidence of its orginal look and character has been obliterated. Although there is a large bar, the rest of the space is devoted to eating . Early evening it was busy with a lot of families, kids shouting etc + it smelled strongly of cooking.
On the positive side , I was booked in quickly and shown to room. No need to pay in advance and drinks, food etc can all be added to the one bill paid for in the morning, which is good. Room was pretty standard for this type of small hotel/ pub with rooms. Not large but adequate: decorations standard OK; good TV: wi fi and strong shower.
Public area was quieter later and good choice of well kept real ales. Menu was similar to similar types of chain pubs. Burgers, Chicken, steaks with various sauces and a couple of salad/fish choices. For breakfast little non cooked choice but nicely presented cooked breakfast . Also served from 7 until 10.
Staff were friendly and helpful. So not much to complain about for £70 a night except a lack of character/ambience from its latest modernisation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 18th-Century Restaurant/Public House with 8 beautifully appointed double en-suite bedrooms. Situated just 1 minutes drive outside the Peak District National Park we are well situated for all local amenities including Chatsworth House, Haddon Hall, and the towns of Matlock and Bakewell. Nestled to the rear of the Pub, alongside the the River Derwent we also have 29 hard standing pitches with electric-hook-up to accommodate Touring Caravans and Motor homes and a separate Tent field, facilities here include Hot Showers, Toilets, Chemical Toilet disposal and Washing Up facilities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, LateRooms and Odigeo so you can book your Grouse and Claret reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grouse And Claret Hotel Rowsley
- Grouse And Claret Rowsley, Derbyshire