The good: Gorgeous view, secluded and rustic..simple and quiet...vintage hotel. Linens are good quality and beds comfortable...atmosphere is peaceful. We had young children with us and they were 100% safe running on the grounds and on the beach without a lot of supervision.
The bad: The staff is indifferent and appears frustrated and removed. The shuttle bus does not have regular hours, we were staying on a boat in the harbour, our freinds stayed in the Banning House. The staff refused to pick up our guest at the dock no later than 8pm. Our guests rushed to leave a lovely dinner on board our boat to meet the driver who was then 2o minutes late. The van is filthy dirty. The hotel common rooms are dusty and drab. The bathrooms were not recently cleaned. We had to ask for toillett paper two or three times.There is a simple kitchen which does not have an oven.(so hard to cook a hot meal) Guests can store food in the fridge. For 200$ a night a room, I expect more than what is offered at a hostel.
The ugly: The place is a diamond in the rough. The views alone are worth the dirty floors and poor service its just sad as it could be a wonderful little hotel with a fantastic organic cafe. Unfortunately, who ever is running it seems to have missed the point. If you have a few million dollars offer to buy it..If you fix it up I guarantee you will double your money.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located at the West End of the island, the Banning House Lodge was built in 1910 as the summer home for the pioneering Banning brothers, who owned Santa Catalina Island. Now a charming, Craftsman-style bed and breakfast, the Banning House Lodge offers sweeping views of the Isthmus of Catalina and Catalina Harbor from its romantic, hilltop perch above Two Harbors A complimentary continental breakfast is served daily in the charming dining room. Van shuttle service between the lodge and Two Harbors village is included. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Banning House Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Banning House Hotel Two Harbors
- Banning House Lodge Catalina Island/Two Harbors, CA