“Very pleasant stay” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
UK
“Very pleasant stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I stayed one night at Castletroy Park whilst at the University on business. A good, spacious room with wifi, reasonable gym and very nice swimming pool. Breakfast was fine if not remarkable; staff helpful and attentive.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
164FionaO, Manager at Castletroy Park Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear Amgriffiths
Many thanks for posting a review on the Castletroy Park Hotel. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and the "remarkable breakfast". Looking forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Regards
Fiona O Shea

206 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Bethesda, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

A few years ago I stayed at the Castletroy Park Hotel and found the hotel to be pleasant, service oriented, and overall a good experience. As I am in Limerick about twice a year, I have tried different hotels in the region. The Castletroy Park Hotel is close to where I need to be. I decided to return to the hotel. I had planned one day for administrative work in the hotel and booked one of the "Executive Rooms" designed "Designed for the Business Traveller" according to the hotel's website. Much to my surprise, the room was ice cold. It is February and it is somewhat cold outside. I am looking for the thermostat, which is nowhere to be found. I contact the receptionist who tells me without hesitation that the heat will go on around 4 pm. I am scheduled to work in my room for the entire day. I explained that this was not acceptable, that I paid extra for the executive room and that although I stay in hotels nearly every week, I have never been in a hotel that rates itself as a 4-star hotel, without heat in the rooms during the day. I was told that the heating system is on a timer, to which I replied, "well, turn on the timer" I am cold and need to be able to work in the privacy of my room...." The hotel brought over a space heater, which did not work. I complained again, and finally they get me a space heater that actually worked.

Throughout the hotel are many references that it is part of the Carlton group, but it is not listed on the Carlton Hotel Group website. This seems like false advertising to me. I am a member of the Carlton group, but could not get credit for my stay here.

Overall, there are many signs that this hotel is poorly managed. One of my business associates had a slug in her salad...... The hotel would benefit from a makeover, paint is peeling, the elevators remind us of days gone by and need to be repainted.

In summary, I do not recommend this hotel. There are many other options in Limerick, that are much better such as the Strand, the Clarion, the George Boutique, among others.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else..
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Lloyd H, Manager at Castletroy Park Hotel, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear Jan D,

Thank you for your comments and taking the time to review the hotel.

The hotel has been recently purchased and is currently undergoing a refurbishment which will be on-going over the coming months. This will add air-conditioning to the rooms which will allow temperatures to be controlled individually. We have investigated the issue with the reception staff and can assure you that this is not our standard. Our heating is centrally controlled, however there is never an issue turning it on for any guest.

We are in the final stage of the rebranding after taking over from the Carlton Hotel Group so again apologies for any confusion caused with this.

Again I have investigated the issue experienced by your colleague and can find no record of it being brought to the attention of any member of management or staff. I would be grateful if you could send any additional details to me at lharnett@castletroypark.ie so that I can investigate this matter further.

As mentioned the hotel is undergoing an extensive refurbishment over the coming months so I hope that on your next visit you will give us a chance to prove to you that these are not the standards we operate in the hotel.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon,

Lloyd
Lakeland, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

This is a modern hotel with all the amenities. The rooms were large and very plush. Breakfast was outstanding - buffet plus ordering hot dishes. The beds were very comfortable, and it was quiet at night for sleeping. There was a nice pub downstairs where you could grab a drink,

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Joe O, General Manager at Castletroy Park Hotel, responded to this review, January 19, 2013
Hi,
Thank you for your review and indeed for your generous comments on the Castletroy Park Hotel.

As I mentioned to previous contributors we have recently taken over the hotel following a change of ownership and together with striving to continously improve the quality of the food and service in the hotel we are also undertaking a significant refurbishment programme and we hope that you will see substantial progress when you next have an opportunity to visit us.

Shannon, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We had a light lunch in the Bar today and it was excellent. They have a Soup and Sandwich Combie. The Soup was really good - Cream of Vegetable and was fabulous and the Beef and Salad Sandwich ( Choice of White/ Brown Bread ) was equally good. We were served by efficient and charming Staff and it was very reasonably priced. I look forward to returning. Thank You Castletroy Park Hotel

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi,
Thank you for you very kind comments on the Castletroy Park Hotel, its food and its staff following your visit to us for lunch recently.
We hope that you will see continued improvements to the food and the service at the hotel and indeed the decor over the coming months as we carry out refurbishment works follwing our takeover/change of ownership of the hotel.

We look forward to seeing you soon.

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

Excellent location for UL & location was the reason I stayed here. Hotel itself is ok, rooms are basic enough but clean and in fairness the rate was good so can't complain. Breakfast was great with hot breakfast served to the table. Fresh & hot - a pleasant change from the dried out buffet that 4 stars normally do. Staff were nice & friendly.

• Stayed December 2012
Hi,
Thank you for your comments on the Castletroy Park Hotel after your recent stay with us.

Having taken over the operation of the hotel following a recent change of ownership, we have commenced a refurbishment programme of areas that are in need of a facelift and this programme will include significant work on the bedrooms which we hope you will have the opportunity to experience on a future visit when the work is complete.

Our sincere thanks for your kind comments on the breakfast and on the staff.

We look forward to seeing you back in the not too distant future.

Wexford, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Stayed at the Castletroy many times this year and it was my first consideration for return next week. The rooms were very comfortable, spacious and warm. Which can be equally said for the staff, very welcoming and friendly, which is perhaps what many hotels lack today, the typical friendliness of reception, whether on first arrival or sitting in the bar after a busy day...
The breakfast was top quality as are those that served it, and the bar food was of same opinion. It being an ideal choice if visiting limerick and particularly the University...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Hi,
Thank you very much for your review of the hotel and indeed for your very generous comments on the hotel and its staff.
As you may know the hotel changed ownership in November and it is nice to know that, since we took over the operation of the hotel, we are on the right track in operating to a four star standard and meeting customer expectations.
We hope that we will see you again soon on the Castletroy Park Hotel and that you will see continued improvements in the hotel particularly as we embark on a substantial refurbishment programme.

Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Stayed for one night. This hotel is very 'tired' and needs a significant face lift. Reception area is quite nice, but lifts, corridors and especially rooms are poor. Leisure centre was in need of a good scrub - rust and mould in showers, cold pool area, lots of plastic tiles loose on Jacuzzi. Breakfast was ok, and I do appreciate that this might sound picky, but the pot my coffee came in actually looked like it had just been excavated - I'd say it hadn't been cleaned in years - if you're going to use solid silver, for God's sake maintain it properly! That said, it was very cheap so I suppose you get what you pay for....

• Stayed January 2013
Hi,
Thank you for the comments you recently posted following your visit to the Castletroy Park Hotel.
As you may be aware the hotel changed ownership in November and we would agree that many areas are indeed in need of a facelift. In fact since we took over the operation of the hotel we have already commenced a refurbishment programme and which, when complete, will significantly improve the overall decor of the premises. We have also made considerable progress on our maintenance programme of items such as tiling around the jacuzzi and likewise standard cleaning schedules.
In relation to the tea and coffee pots, they are in fact very old and worn as opposed to dirty but, being so old, regular cleaning shows little improvement.
We have ordered new pots and are awaiting delivery of same and in the meantime we have removed the most worn of the old ones.
We do hope you will visit the Castletroy Park Hotel on your next visit to Limerick when we are confident you will continuing improvements in the hotel.

Joe O'Brien

Been to Castletroy Park Hotel? Share your experiences!