“Value for money for an overnighter” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Castletroy
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Dublin, Ireland
“Value for money for an overnighter”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

Excellent location for UL & location was the reason I stayed here. Hotel itself is ok, rooms are basic enough but clean and in fairness the rate was good so can't complain. Breakfast was great with hot breakfast served to the table. Fresh & hot - a pleasant change from the dried out buffet that 4 stars normally do. Staff were nice & friendly.

• Stayed December 2012
Joe O, General Manager at Castletroy Park Hotel, responded to this review, January 19, 2013
Hi,
Thank you for your comments on the Castletroy Park Hotel after your recent stay with us.

Having taken over the operation of the hotel following a recent change of ownership, we have commenced a refurbishment programme of areas that are in need of a facelift and this programme will include significant work on the bedrooms which we hope you will have the opportunity to experience on a future visit when the work is complete.

Our sincere thanks for your kind comments on the breakfast and on the staff.

We look forward to seeing you back in the not too distant future.

Joe O'Brien.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Wexford, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Stayed at the Castletroy many times this year and it was my first consideration for return next week. The rooms were very comfortable, spacious and warm. Which can be equally said for the staff, very welcoming and friendly, which is perhaps what many hotels lack today, the typical friendliness of reception, whether on first arrival or sitting in the bar after a busy day...
The breakfast was top quality as are those that served it, and the bar food was of same opinion. It being an ideal choice if visiting limerick and particularly the University...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Hi,
Thank you very much for your review of the hotel and indeed for your very generous comments on the hotel and its staff.
As you may know the hotel changed ownership in November and it is nice to know that, since we took over the operation of the hotel, we are on the right track in operating to a four star standard and meeting customer expectations.
We hope that we will see you again soon on the Castletroy Park Hotel and that you will see continued improvements in the hotel particularly as we embark on a substantial refurbishment programme.

Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Stayed for one night. This hotel is very 'tired' and needs a significant face lift. Reception area is quite nice, but lifts, corridors and especially rooms are poor. Leisure centre was in need of a good scrub - rust and mould in showers, cold pool area, lots of plastic tiles loose on Jacuzzi. Breakfast was ok, and I do appreciate that this might sound picky, but the pot my coffee came in actually looked like it had just been excavated - I'd say it hadn't been cleaned in years - if you're going to use solid silver, for God's sake maintain it properly! That said, it was very cheap so I suppose you get what you pay for....

• Stayed January 2013
Hi,
Thank you for the comments you recently posted following your visit to the Castletroy Park Hotel.
As you may be aware the hotel changed ownership in November and we would agree that many areas are indeed in need of a facelift. In fact since we took over the operation of the hotel we have already commenced a refurbishment programme and which, when complete, will significantly improve the overall decor of the premises. We have also made considerable progress on our maintenance programme of items such as tiling around the jacuzzi and likewise standard cleaning schedules.
In relation to the tea and coffee pots, they are in fact very old and worn as opposed to dirty but, being so old, regular cleaning shows little improvement.
We have ordered new pots and are awaiting delivery of same and in the meantime we have removed the most worn of the old ones.
We do hope you will visit the Castletroy Park Hotel on your next visit to Limerick when we are confident you will continuing improvements in the hotel.

Joe O'Brien
limerick
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Up to ten years ago when family members were attending University of Limerick we were regular diners in the restaurant and bar of this hotel. We loved everything about it. Made a return visit last month and it will be a LAST. The menu was very limited and boring. It contained no salads but as some dishes had side salads I thought it would be easy to put a chicken salad together. But grumpy waiter was having none of it - it couldn't be done. I settled for a bowl of veg soup which was bland and served with commercially bought-in bread, My husband had fish and chip. Fish wasn't fresh and contained more batter than fish and it was plain to be seen that when batter was removed fish wasn't cooked through. Service took forever and once served nobody came near us to ask if everything was O.K, likewise at the cashier desk. It was a horrendous, unbelievable experience in a 5 STAR HOTEL. Staff were careless, uncaring, inefficient. What a reflection on the character and ambience of a 5 star hotel that it once was?

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi,
Thank you for your review following your visit to the hotel in November. As I mentioned to a previous contributor, the hotel changed ownership in November and I am not sure if we had taken over the operation of the hotel at the time of your visit.
I was very sorry to hear of the poor experience you had on that occasion and may I appologise most sncerely for it. Since we took over the hotel in November we have been concentrating particularly on improving the quality of the food and to that end we have implemented new menus for lunch and dinner in the bar area with a wider selection of dishes and also new A La Carte and Table d'Hote menus in the restaurant all of which will be to a standard more in keeping with a four star hotel. [I believe the hotel has always been a four star hotel].
I have to say that I was surprised that you found the staff unhelpful as I have found them to be very friendly and accommodating since we took over and particularly, as I constantly monitor the quality of the food being served, I have noticed that no request from a customer for something not on the menu has been refused.
I do hope you will reconsider your decision not to return to the hotel as we would very much welcome the opportunity of restoring your confidence in the Castletroy Park Hotel and if I can be of any assistance in that regard please do not hesitate to contact in advance of a visit.

Girard, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Our room was clean but average in decor. They no longer have someone at the concierge desk which was very frustrating at times. While the desk staff were very nice, they couldn't answer most of our questions. Because of food allergies I was limited in what I could eat. Lunch and dinner were average to good, and breakfast was very good. I did have a tiny, tiny, tiny spider walk out from under my salad one lunch. I was pleased how the staff handled the situation. I was attending a conference so ate many other meals here without incident. They did a great job with the conference arrangements. The hotel is close to a bus line.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Hi,
My sincere thanks for taking the time to post a review on our hotel.
As you may be aware the hotel changed ownership in November and I am not sure if we took on the operation of the hotel before or after your visit but we have already started an improvement programme on the decor of the hotel. While we are finalizing our work programme at present, the decor in the bedrooms is high on our priority list and we intend to start this work in the very near future.
It is true that there is not a Concierge at the hotel and I believe this has been the case for some time but I would be very interested to hear what type of queries could not be answered at the front desk as our staff have full information both on the hotel and on the local area generally but if there is further training that we could add to this service we would be delighted to do so.

I note your comments on our food and indeed we identified when we took over the hotel that we would like to make improvements in this area and already we have introduced a new bar food lunch menu and a dinner menu and we have also commenced new A La Carte and Table d'Hote menus in our restaurant where our focus is very much on higher quality food while catering to guests such as yourself with special dietry requirements.
My apologies about the incident with the small spider and I was glad to hear that the situation was well handled by our staff and thank you also for your kind comments on the conference arrangements.
Thank you again for your review and I am confident that you will see significant improvements in the areas that you highlighted on your next visit to us.

Joe O'Brien.

Been to Castletroy Park Hotel? Share your experiences!