“Fabulous food” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Staffordshire England
“Fabulous food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

We visited Six Ashes on 28th June with friends to celebrate my husbands birthday, a day that the UK was lashed with thunder storms. It was our visit since it was taken over by Stuart Plant and we were not disappointed. The food was simply wonderful and despite our 'diets' we had three courses, We will all be going back and would recommend this to anyone who enjoys good, fresh and properly cooked food in friendly surroundings.

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

70% Recommend
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
“wonderful food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

have been to the six ashes to dine several times. i agree that the atmosphere is a little lacking and so try to gather a group of friends to warm things up a little. however, the welcome is certainly warm and the service friendly but not intrusive. the food is excellent and, however good our intentions, we can never resist three courses!

• Visited February 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dudley, United Kingdom
“Fresh, seasonal food - lovingly prepared”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

I have now been to this restaurant twice recently, having been pleasantly surprised at finding a pub/restaurant that offers quality food this close to Stourbridge (which is sadly lacking if you don't fancy a balti). The small menu immediately told me that the chef understands the importance of quality over quantity and of using seasonal produce. The menu is also regularly revised - on this occasion within the 2 weeks between visits.

The bar staff were friendly and chatty and the atmosphere in the bar was buzzing for the first hour, but the place quickly emptied and became quiet by about 9pm.

The food is quite pricey, but lovingly prepared. The portions are not large, which I prefer because I like to have 3 courses without feeling over-full. Warm bread with butter and olive oil was brought swiftly after our arrival. There was evidence of the chef's innovation on the menu in places - my companion had pork belly 'scampi' to start- deep fried tender cubes of moist pork belly with 2 dips. I had asparagus with a crushed duck egg, which was delicious, but I was left wondering what was so special about it to justify the price of £6.95 - the same as the pork belly.

I chose the chicken breast with 'tomato fondue' (not sure why it was called this as it was really just a smear of tomato sauce sitting on the top) with black truffle, baby vegetables and butter sauce. This was the most soft and moist piece of chicken breast I've ever eaten and the vegetables were cooked to al dente perfection. My companion had the 9oz dry matured steak with french fries and watercress salad. The chef was not afraid to leave it on the rare side of medium-rare - another good sign in my book!

The dessert was a highlight (and I haven't even got a sweet tooth), reminiscent of some of the Michelin-starred venues I have eaten at before - an oozing dark chocolate fondue, mascarpone sorbet and a shot-glass with double-layered cherry milkshake.

My main criticism is the lack of atmosphere, caused by a lack of people - not sure why on a Friday night with such lovely food - and the bright lighting. A word of advice to the owner: when it gets dark outside, switch the spot lights off, leave the cosy wall lights on and add tee lights to the tables. Also, we were given a bar and restaurant menu that were very similar in price and options, yet the waitress said that we couldn't mix and match between the two because the kitchen was 'busy', although there were only two other tables occupied in the restaurant area.

I would highly recommend this place if you like fresh, seasonal and well-prepared food. Maybe if a few more people try it, the atmosphere would improve - just as long as the kitchen could cope with it being so 'busy'!

I will definitely be returning soon.

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
birmingham
“Over-priced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

The pub is a nice old building, and looks like it could be quite charming from the outside, but on entering, the lack of atmosphere hits you immediately. Nothing has been done to add a welcoming or cosy feel, and that's especially noticable in the over-lit restaurant.
The menu is different and slightly adventurous, but, not all of it works!! Some of our party had excellent meals, while others felt terribly let-down. In other words, there seems to be no consistency, luck-of-the-draw as to whether you get a decent meal! One issue that we all found distasteful was having to pay an extra £2.50 per portion of vegetables. Vegetables are designed to compliment a meal, much like a sauce or salt & pepper, so to have to pay, seemed an unnecessary rip-off.
I tried the Cassoulet, which one doesn't see on a menu too often, but it was dry & too salty, and served with a lump of (fresh) bread to make the texture even drier!
(I heard someone else mention this to the chef later, who replied "It's not supposed to be a soup" - end of discussion!!) Had we not been in a group, I would have sent it back
The wine list was satisfactory and the waiting staff were very proficient.
It's admirable to see an adventurous menu, but at the prices being charged (on the high side) the chef has to be able to cook the meals, first time, every time.
I would not go back, and I would not recommend it because it's too hit-and-miss.

• Visited April 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Bridgnorth, United Kingdom
“Great Sunday lunch but no allowance for Children”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

Went for Sunday lunch.

first the pub
When you walk in its not very inviting with no atmosphere or charcter.
nowwhere really to sit for just a drink. Only has one high table with 3 chairs. Needs to add a sofa, chairs and some tables. Other tables are for diners.
This is probably why its so quite as if you just looked through the window you would probably not bother going in

The Menu is some what limited in choice
The starters not the best
Garlic mushrooms with egg was literally just a that, a few mushrooms fried in garlic with fried egg on top. Very poor value for money and no imagination.
Potted shrimp tasted ok but shrimps were microscopic and looked over cooked
But the main was course was very good. We had the roast Beef and Pork, the meat cooked perfect, Veg very good and fresh( if you like veg well cooked you may not be so impressed) great roasts and a proper Yorkshire pudding
Never got to the sweets so no comment
Our only gripe was no children’s menu and when you ask it’s as if the question has never been asked before.
Only choice is smaller portions of the main menu which is very limited, so one hungry child left
We will go back, but not as often as no children’s menu. Next time will have main and sweet.

Also forgot to mention
The waitress was very efficient and professional being attentive but not in your face.
Beer is good. Only one real ale but well kept and very drinkable.

• Visited April 2012