“Friendly welcome, good pub grub” 5 of 5 stars

The Somerset Arms
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   High Street, Semington BA14 6JR, England   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Semington B&B and Inns
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Friendly welcome, good pub grub”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We visited this pub on our canal trip along the Kennet and Avon canal. It's worth mooring up at Semington then taking a walk down the high street to pop in. We had a lovely welcome - the landlord even put the fire on for us- and ordered some pints. There is a great selection of ales and lagers, it all tastes very clean. They have a friendly dog called Jack and a parrot called Pele. The food was very tasty and I really enjoyed the thick cut chips. There is also a nice outside bit with part of it undercover. Could have quite happily spent all afternoon there!

Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
dorset
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Not good despite their website proclaiming this as luxury accommodation. I didn't go out of my way to look under the bed but the view was hard to avoid when sat on the loo as the door wouldn't shut. I noticed a plank of wood, a lot of dust, some black plastic things and an old Durex packet. I subsequently asked for the room to be vacuumed. At night, I had to ask for someone to fix the TV and the bedside light as neither would work. About 3 minutes after this member of staff left, the bedside light sparked, fizzled and finally died. Someone had written in the dirt on the bathroom mirror. I was intrigued - was that 'Jess' or 'Tess'. Once the shower clicked in, and the place steamed up. it became clear that the message on the mirror read 'Jesus is love'. I felt like Bernadette of Lourdes having an epiphany in Semington. In the morning, I was advised there was 'full breakfast'. This comprised bacon, sausage, eggs & tomatoes or a choice of permutations. I can't eat tomatoes. I haven't even mentioned the drunks in the bar who were there all day and answered all questions about the pub. Were they the owners? I would like to commend Charlotte who was running the bar, doing the vacuuming ( not under the bed), cooking breakfast, in charge of the bar and generally uncomplaining but clearly exploited. If I hadn't been engaged on a mega walk along the canal, and therefore without transport, I would've left this place.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled solo
Somerset Arms S, Owner at The Somerset Arms, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Well where do we start with this then? Hmmm Epiphanies,Durex packets? Really? I think you may have forgotten your medication dear. As for Charlotte she is alive and in good health but says thanks for your concern. She remembers you well.

Travelers are raving about these Semington hotels

Island of Anglesey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2015

Stayed here for 1 night on 15 March 2015. They had obviously had a very day, with it been Mothers Day. However, I was greeted with a friendly smile and showed to my room. This was ideal, very clean and good white sheets. The only slight downside was the water pressure in the shower. But there was hot water, and after all this is an old country pub, not Claridges. Back downstairs I a jovial chat with the landlord who again was pleasant and friendly. I was given recommendations on the beers (again helpful, but not scripted). My evening meal was good traditional pub food (roast beef) served in the restaurant.
After a good nights sleep (the room was quiet even though it was above the kitchen). I was greeted the following morning with my breakfast table set by a roaring log fire. Not bad for 7.30 in the morning.
Overall I would happily stay here again.

Room Tip: Room 1 was fine
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
Thanks for your very kind words and we hope to see you again sometime soon x
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2014

Thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Somerset Arms Semington Food and drink where excellent great breakfast
rooms are spotlessly clean and very comfortable
Very welcoming hosts would definitely stay again great place

• Stayed December 2014
Bath, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2014

Used to come here regularly but haven't been for maybe a year after rather poor experience last time. Now has new owners, was greeted by bar full of people watching football on TV......hmmmmm. Bar used to have a decent selection of wines and beers, but not anymore. Only 3 ales, none drinkable and a laminated wine list with about 4 white,4 red and a couple of rose......nothing very inspiring.
Anyway, ploughed on, had sharing board which was good, steaks for main which were also good. Desert was also good. When queried the bill, charged for beer not taken, they were surly and whilst they knocked it off they never said sorry. Strange atmosphere all eve and the Christmas meals coming out looked like school diners. This used to be a special sort of pub with a good vibe and great staff....now off our list. Shame.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Bath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2014

We live in the area and have eaten here pretty regularly over the past 6-7 years. Standards seemed to slip a bit when the new owners took over a couple of years ago. However, on the basis of our meal here last week, they've really upped their game. Warm welcome, excellent food and service, and great to see the fireplaces being used again. We'll definitely be back - highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2014
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2014

I had a two night stay at this delightful little pub. The accommodation comprises three rooms to the side of the pub so there is no noise whatever from the pub. The first thing that strikes you is the warmth of welcome from the bar staff who simply couldn't be better. One thing illustrates this well. When a girl explained to me that breakfast started at 7:30 and I told her I had to be gone before then, she arranged for me to have a sandwich of my own choice made up for me. That's great service.
The pub is delightful. Warm and snug with some great beers and ciders which the staff were happy to help me choosing. On the second evening of my stay, I went to the restaurant and enjoyed a steak and ale pie from the pretty standard pub menu. It was great! Pastry light and crisp and delicious, succulent meat and gravy inside. The sticky toffee pudding was pretty good too!
In the room, it was a standard double with adjoining bathroom. Nothing terribly special about either. In fact the shower was the only slight disappointment - pretty feeble flow but it was hot enough. Bed was comfy, although on the side on which I didn't sleep it was perhaps a wee bit lumpy. I slept like a log.
Highly recommended.

Room Tip: There are only three to choose from, all adjoined so I don't think there's anything to choos...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled on business

Been to The Somerset Arms? Share your experiences!