“A piece of heaven on earth” 5 of 5 stars

Visit Butchart Gardens like an insider
Special Offer
$336*
and up
Viator VIP: Behind-the-Scenes Tour of Butchart...
Activities: Walking, Dining
More attraction details
Owner description: These internationally acclaimed floral display gardens started over 100 years ago and remain privately owned by the family. Jennie Butchart wanted to make her husband's depleted limestone quarry look better and the result is the Sunken Garden. Other gardens include the Rose Garden, the Japanese Garden and the Italian Garden. The gardens are meticulously maintained and provide a riot of colour for much of the year. During the summer, special lighting subtly illuminates the gardens, musical entertainment takes place on the Concert Lawn, and there are ten spectacular Saturday night Firework Shows. The Magic of Christmas season also has beautiful lighting and evening entertainment, and an outdoor skating rink. Spring offers hundreds of thousand flowering bulbs and Autumn is the time for dahlias, chrysanthemums and fall colours. The Gardens is open daily, year round.
Calgary, Alberta
15 attraction reviews
“A piece of heaven on earth”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

Let me start off by saying I'm not a gardening person. However, even I had to admit this was really something special. I felt I this must be what heaven is like! All the trees and flowers in bloom. We went on a cruise and only had about two hours but I wished I had all day and picnic there. We took a tour bus to there from Downtown Victoria which were readily available. It is a bit pricy but worth every penny. Will definitely be back next time I'm in Victoria.

Visited May 2011

• Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Errington, Canada
11 attraction reviews
“Winter Beauty at Butchart Gardens”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

Exceptional Experience with 2 girls (aged 9 and 14). We took them around 12:30pm for "early" high tea at the dining room. The hostess sat us by the fire and we had the place to ourselves for at least half an hour. The price of their high tea ( and they do have a child's tea ) was half of the High Tea at the Empress and just as good. We loved the garden walk during the daytime and enjoyed a cup of hot chocolate while it darkened for our second walk at night. It was dark by 5pm so we enjoyed the lights and 12 days of Christmas displays around the Gardens. I highly recommend this attraction to all ages.

Basel, Switzerland
11 attraction reviews
“Magical place to visit over Christmas!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

We decided to check out the 12 days of Christmas lights at Butchart Gardens while my mother was visiting us in Victoria. I had never been before as we only moved here last year. Even though it was quite a cold evening, I'm so glad we went because as I've now discovered, Butchart Gardens at Christmas time is an absolute must. Just magical. Loved how the place was lit up and how the 12 days of Christmas were portrayed. The carol singers at the end was a lovely way to end a most enjoyable evening. We went midweek at the start of December and it was fairly quiet. I suspect it can get quite busy at weekend but then again that might add to the atmosphere. It certainly put us into a Christmassy mood. We'll definitley be going again next Christmas!

Visited December 2011
Freeport, Maine
“Unbelievably beautiful gardens and absolutely great staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

This past September my husband and I visited BC and Alberta for 2 weeks and had a fantastic time. But without a doubt my favorite site was Butchart Gardens. (followed closely by the Okanagan Valley) Due to a car accident I now require crutches, a wheelchair, or a scooter for mobility. I visited the gardens one afternoon on my own, and after several hours on crutches I knew I could not manage the gardens without a wheelchair or scooter. The incredibly helpful and knowledgeable Butchart staff gave me the name of a company that delivered a scooter the next day which allowed me to go everywhere without having to depend on my husband. Butchart Gardens is committed to ensuring that the entire facility is accessible in a manner that I have rarely encountered in the US. In addition, when I had questions about flowers, trees, or shrubs the knowledge of the garden staff just floored me. The dahlia border was beyond description, the sunken garden was astonishing particularly after seeing its origin as a cement quarry, and the other gardens just made me want to return during every month or season to see how things change. As a longtime gardener I was bowled over at the color and flower combinations throughout the perennial and annual gardens. Not only were the gardens great but the restaurant we ate in was relaxing and the food was very good as well. While we always agonize whether or not to return to places we like or go to new places, Butchart Gardens is a must return in my book.

Visited September 2011
Hervey Bay, Australia
143 attraction reviews
“Brilliant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

We revisited the Gardens in late September just in time for the change of colour for fall.
There was still plenty of flowering plants and it was just amazing.
My previous visit was in July in the late ninetys and it was just as good this time if not better.
A visit to these garden is a must for garden lovers if visiting Canada.

Visited September 2011