“Terrible customer service and misleading website - be careful!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Becker's Lodge Bowron Lake Adventures Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wells
Becker's Lodge Bowron Lake Adventures Resort
You added Becker's Lodge Bowron Lake Adventures Resort to your Saves list
Bowron Lake Road, Wells, British Columbia V0K 2R0, Canada   |
vancouver
“Terrible customer service and misleading website - be careful!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2009

Make sure you read their website, including all fine print - very carefully before booking. These people are not big on customer service. Their online "Reservation Request Form" has no pricing on it, no checkout! I requested a refund after receiving their confirmation email (which finally had prices on it) and was charged a $50 cancellation fee. The booking was five months away!
The place may look great, but I'll never know, because I am never never going. I've traveled to a lot of countries all over the world, been to a lot of hotels, hostels, pensiones, cabins, camping grounds but I've never had such ridiculous booking service as I've endured here.
If you are the owner and you are reading this please take note - Websites should be clear, this is 2009 - and if you treat inquiries civilly, and handle difficulties reasonably, you get more business.
If you are thinking of booking here - consider yourself warned.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
beckerslodge, Guest Relations Manager at Becker's Lodge Bowron Lake Adventures Resort, responded to this review, August 31, 2010
We get many compliments on the simplicity of our website and feedback about how easy the booking process is when our guests use the secure online reservation request form. We're sorry to hear that this was not the experience that you had. Our pricing is not noted on the reservation request form but our rates are an open book - all are listed on our website and are kept current. We suggest that prospective customers should take the time to check the rates on our website and read the reservation information pages on our website prior to completing and submitting the form. If checking for availability only, please email us or contact our reservations office by phone. Do not use the form unless you are ready to make a reservation. If you have questions about rates or require clarification first, please feel free to contact us by phone or email prior to booking. We're always happy to answer questions about our resort prior to guests making reservations with us. Deposits are non-refundable after June 1st each season. Providing exceptional customer service is very important to us but we do have very clear policies that we adhere to.

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Fort Macleod, AB
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2008

Our family decided to visit Barkerville, but wanted to spend the night in the Bowron Lake area, as we enjoy the outdoors. We considered camping but as the weather in June can be unpredictable renting a cabin was the next best thing. We stayed in the Betty Wendle House and loved it. The location is amazing, there was even a brief thunder & lighting storm we could view from the deck. We didn't eat in the restaurant, but enjoyed campfire food in one of the fire rings in the camping area. Just a note firewood is expensive at the lodge, bring your own if you can.

• Liked — View, Location
  • Disliked — Cost of Firewood
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Cardiff, Wales
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2007

We had a fantastic time on the Bowron Lakes(despite unexpected wet,cold weather) and would love canoeing some of Canada's other lakes as well. Unfortunately our experience at Becker's Lodge(specifically Mr. Lothar Vollmer) was not so pleasant and almost spoilt a relaxing, peaceful and beautiful holiday.

We'd booked a 2-night stay at Beckers as part of the full circuit package and planned renting our canoe and some equipment through them. My husband is a keen canoeist and had a K2 in South Africa, competed in the Duzi marathon(well known back home) etc but we weren't familiar with the canoe used in Canada which we were hoping to be advised on by more knowledgeable people at Becker's.

On arrival the day before starting our canoe-trip we were very rudely 'welcomed' by the said owner. On asking about the canoes and which we should take he treated us(my husband of 44yr age!) like two kids and ended up sending us to 'test' our skills on a canoe(even tho we'd canoe'd together before, and just needed to decide which canoe would be best/cost etc!?). We weren't informed about anything( ie times of breakfast/supper etc, when they require you to settle the bill etc) and we soon realized there was no point asking as he'd just be dismissive. On returning after ou 'test' my husband told him we were happy with the canoe we used and will we be using a similar canoe? Again we were rudely and abruptly dismissed saying ' No, you will use another one' . That's it, noting further. We had clearly reached a point where no further communication was possible(if such a thing is at all possible with this man). On doing our initiation that afternoon we'd planned to leave early the next morning and arranged this with the young man dealing with our equipment.

Needless to say, our troubles weren't over. On waiting a looooooooong time to be served at breakfast(we were there when the doors opened,hoping to leave by 8am from Becker's), we were informed by the young man that we'd had to pay in full and where is our 'slip' of paper with details of equipment(which he'd given us) rented. We then had to go through another argumentative communication process with Mr.Vollmer to finally get the canoe we want. Finally...our trip was starting... an hour and half later than expected !!

I would not recommend using Becker's for anything - support the other lodges and companies, I'm sure you'll get much better, friendlier service. We have to add though that Tara was very helpful pre-holiday getting everything booked and our male waiter on our last night( 6 Sept) was, typically Canadian, extemely friendly and helpful(so thumbs up to these individuals). The only other good thing was the food, can't fault it - very good, so compliments to the chef at Becker's.

We still love visting Canada and have had a fabulous time despite this unpleasant experience! We'll be back to stay in our own condo in Fernie for some great skiing!

Annelise and Henning van Niekerk(Wales, UK)

• Liked — food
  • Disliked — rude service
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these Wells hotels

comox
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2007

When we arrived at Beckers lodge where I had pre-arranged canoe rentals a friendly looking gentleman sporting a large ridiculous cowboy hat greeted us with a big "howdy"!! Unfortunately this was the extent of his social skills. The man turned out to be argumentative and very unpleasant.. The only explanation I can come up with for the unbelievable rudeness was that I asked too many questions??? I wanted to know when we would be able to get our canoes in the morning and if we needed to paddle to the registration centre or if we departed directly from the lodge...seemed simple enough to me. Apparently these were not good questions??? I was told I did not know how to listen. When I said that he seemed kind of intense he said he didn't like me ?? and I should take my business elsewhere??? I was really at a loss as to how to deal with this person, and if it had not been for my kids being upset by having to leave I would definitely left and gone to the other resort that rents canoes, Bowron Lake Lodge, as I couldn't imagine anyone else being more rude and unhelpful than this man. I felt I had to apologize in order to get the canoes!! I left feeling extremely upset. The silver lining was that I was no longer afraid of encountering a bear as I had dealt with this man and what could be worse? Our experience on the lakes was great, unforgettable, rain gear a must!

• Liked — the view
  • Disliked — the check-in ordeal
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2007

Overall, Becker's Lodge is well run, very clean, and definately in a beautiful spot. My only complaint is the people that run it. We found the German couple very arrogant and extremely rude and uncooperative when we questioned the price of their outfitting. We did the circuit in 4 days and they refused to let us pay anything less than the full 10 day circuit rate for all the gear we rented. Our canoe ended up costing us almost $60 per day! He said it's too much work to break it down to the number of days people are actually out for, so making the customer pay more is how they decided to go. When we suggested that it might deter people from using their outfitting service and that we may hesitate to recommend them, he said that he's a very rich man and he doesn't need the business. All that said, the trip was great and the lodge and their equipment was very nice overall. If you plan on speeding through the circuit, though, rent your gear elsewhere and save yourself some money.

• Liked — restuarant
  • Disliked — owners
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
At Becker's Lodge, our canoe, kayak, and equipment rental rates used to be based on up to 10 days but are now based on up to 8 days.. These circuit rental rates apply even if you return in less than 8 days. For people paddling the West Side (Cariboo Falls Trip) only, we have discounted rates on one specific canoe model only for up to 4 days. Rates to rent all other canoes for the west side only are based on our standard rates for up to 8 days. Additional daily rental fees apply when canoes and kayaks are kept longer than 8 days for the full circuit or longer than 4 days for the West Side.
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2004

What a wonderful experience. We were not experienced Canoeist( if thats a word). But we love the outdoors and the beauty that it offers. We enjoy being active. A few of the portages were challenging, since we had 3 canoes with 60lbs of gear inside, as well as carrying a 40 pound backpack. We always looked forward to seeing the waters edge. Most of the camp sites along the circuit were wonderful. Note: the outhouses are a little of a walk from where you set up camp.We went in August of 2002 and we had no rain until we got back to beckers lodge 7 days later. We were expecting to get rained on at least half the time.Beckers lodge is a cute place to stay, we camped in the camp area. Their lodges look really cozy and their Restaurant was like being in a ski lodge. We had Breakfast before starting our trek and it was most enjoyable.If you would like to take a look at our online journal, here is the URL:http://www.mwmgi.com/Bowron/

Been to Becker's Lodge Bowron Lake Adventures Resort? Share your experiences!