“Absolutely the worst service!!” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 13 Restaurants in Cowichan Bay
Cuisines: Canadian
Victoria BC
“Absolutely the worst service!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012 via mobile

After hearing so many good things about Hilary's the five of us made a special trip from Victoria to have lunch here. There were only three other people in the place the whole time we were there. Three of us ordered sandwiches and two of us ordered sandwiches and soup. Ten minutes later two of the sandwiches arrived. One of our group got up after another twenty minutes and asked what had happened to the other three orders. The response from the woman he asked was "they're coming" in a rude tone of voice. It was another five minutes before the three lunches arrived. They were plunked on our table without any explanation or apology. The sandwiches were thin on meat and cheese. The soup was tasty. The service was BRUTALLY APPALLING!!

redpoppy17, Owner at Hilary's Artisan Cheese, responded to this review, June 15, 2012
How disappointing...we never like to hear that someone has had a negative experience here.

I have gone back and spoken to the staff that were working that day and unfortunately no one remembers this as it was a couple of weeks ago. I do know however that day we had one of our employees who was working is deaf and perhaps she was the one who served you and her disability came across as rudeness. We hope that you come back and visit and appreciate your feedback.

Costa Mesa, California
“Excellent cheese!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

My friend and I stopped here because it was featured in Sunset Magazine's BC weekend article. We were greeted by the owner, Hilary, who said he had not known of being featured! Great shop with lots of cheese varieties. We selected a white cheddar and a smoked gouda, as they were about the close and were out of sandwiches and soups. Hilary and his staff were very friendly and personable. They recommended we go next door and select some bread, which we did. And thoroughly enjoyed our impromptu picnic behind the shops on the dock! What a lovely afternoon snack! It just doesn't get any better than this... unless a wine shop were to move in nearby!

• Visited April 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
vancouver, bc
“Awesome selection of cheese”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

We were visiting friends in area and my girlfriend and I decided to go out for a little shopping and lunch...we were walking along the shopping section in Cow Bay and I had to go into this awesome cheese store. What a delight! I could not decide which cheeses I wanted to take with me on the next leg of our vacation and ended up with 3-4 different varieties, as well as other items for a picnic lunch. We were very impressed by the service but then again, the people in Cow Bay are very friendly by nature. Nice place to stop if you love cheese and as I said, I picked up other items that were equally impressive.

• Visited August 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Duncan, Canada
“Cheese Please”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

Hilary's cheese is superb. His cheese shop and deli is one of my highlights when going to Cowichan Bay.

Cobble Hill, Canada
“Excellent Lunch - great ambiance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012

Hilary makes some of their own cheese - try the "Red Dawn", if it's available. Lunch is a bit pricey but the food is fresh. The sandwiches are made with the bread from the bakery next door. You can't get fresher than that!