“Paradise!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Red Rock Canyon

Red Rock Canyon
Red Rock Pkwy. | off park access rd., 10 km (6 mi) north of Waterton Park, Waterton Lakes National Park, Alberta, Canada
Improve this listing
Type: Canyons, National Parks, Outdoors
London, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
“Paradise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

I first came to Red Rock Canyon in 1978 as a child and loved it. I spent hours playing in the river, climbing the rocky outcrops, exploring the woodlands around. My family used to come here often to barbeque and whilst I loved the place I didn't really appreciate quite how special it was until I came back as an adult with my own four children. It is simply stunningly beautiful. We found a new-fangled barbeque lodge where the old log cabin of my childhood had stood, just off the road up to the main car park (follow the signage for horse trailers). You really could be at the end of the earth, all alone. We spent a glorious sunny afternoon by the river, finding "treasures" among the stones, and just soaking up the beauty of the place. Unfortunately the old BBQ pits of my childhood have all disappeared: you need to bring your own disposable or portable BBQ if you want to do serious cooking, but there is a lovely cast-iron stove (with a relief picture of hockey skaters on the door) which you can use to heat up a camp kettle or, with the door open, roast marshmallows.

Waterton is full of beautiful hidden corners -- I could name many others -- but this one is particularly dear to me and really worth a visit if you want peace and seclusion.

P.S. There are bears around -- all year -- so be careful. We met a mama-bear and her cub on the road back!

Visited June 2013

Saint Louis, Missouri
19 attraction reviews
“Very beautiful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

We took the walk around the canyon. It was very beautiful and got terrific pictures of flowers, rocks, and lots of other things .The waterfall is gorgeous. I highly recommend taking the full walk if you can. There are benches on the way around so you have places to rest.

Visited June 2013
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
6 attraction reviews
“Beautiful scenery and WILDLIFE!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

Family spent a couple of days in this area. Hiked and cooled off in Red Rock Canyon. Found plenty of quiet places we enjoyed as a family. We were there in July and did not have traffic problems. Late afternoon was the time we spotted many bears and their cubs. Pack a lunch and enjoy the beauty and peace!!

Visited July 2013
Langhorne, Pennsylvania
8 attraction reviews
“Traveled this loop several times a day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

The loop through the Red Rock Canyon area was where we saw the majority of wildlife. We went several times a day and were never disappointed; there was always some sort of wildlife to enjoy and photograph. Since it was September, traffic was not much of a problem, but I imagine that there are some pretty good jams during the summer when people stop to watch the bears, moose, etc.

Visited September 2013
Binghamton, New York
12 attraction reviews
“Wildlife on way to red rock”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

The drive out: two grizzlies and a black bear family. Gorgeous aspens. Great plains intruding into the mountains, much different scenery from Banff and Jasper.

Visited September 2013