“Good only for sushi” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Port Alberni, Canada
“Good only for sushi”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

My husband and I ate at this restaurant during a recent anniverary trip. While he thought his sushi and sashime were excellent, I had a terrible meal. I can't eat fish so ordered gyoza, which were mediocre, and vegetable tempura. This last consisted of slabs of potato and one slice of melon, covered in a thick and greasy tempura coating. When I mentioned the lack of variety in the tempura to the waitress, she told me that she kept telling the chef the same thing. Horrible! The restaurant itself smells mildewy and the front windows, where we set, appeared either fogged up from failure of the sealed units, or else really dirty. An expensive dinner with very little enjoyment for one of us!

• Visited April 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Victoria, Canada
“Good sushi. Try the candied apple roll.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

The restaurant itself has a good view of Port Hardy harbour.
It was somewhat cold when I was in Port Hardy (3 degrees C) so they had some additional heaters placed around the restaurant.

I tried 3 different rolls all were good. California, Dynamite, and a Candied Apple roll which I thought was the best, unique.

Service was excellent. I was in a bit of a rush, made that clear, and was in and out within 20 mins.

I will go again.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Coal Harbour
“Terrible service - food is great.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I have gone to this restaurant several times, and the food is always great; however, the service sucks. The place was fairly busy, and the waitress was mainly focused on take-out than service customers. After we got our food, that was the last time we saw her until we flagged her down 1/2 after we were finished. She didn't even clear the appy dishes off our table! There's an electronic button on the table to flag the waitress, but they cleared it from the screen and didn't even look at us. The food is great, but I can't handle terrible service - may not go back.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Get There Early”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Sushi was really good and there was lots to chose from. They are only open til 9 and if you look closely the kitchen closes at 8 so you need to get there early. I got there about 10 to 8 and was asked to "hurry and order - sooner the better".

Visited February 2013
“Great view, great food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

DEFINITELY order the agedashi tofu when you go to Toudai's, it's maybe my favourite food! This place has a great view of the bay, lots of windows, and great sushi.

Visited January 2013