“A peaceful Haven” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kasbah Bab Ourika

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ourika
Kasbah Bab Ourika
You added Kasbah Bab Ourika to your Saves list
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Tnine Ourika, Ourika, Morocco   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ourika
Certificate of Excellence 2014
sussex
“A peaceful Haven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

We stayed at this wonderful establishment for five nights recently.
It is comfortable and friendly. There is an extensive garden to wander in and a wonderful vegetable area where vegetables are grown and used in the restaurant. The food is very good with plenty of choice. Our room had a log fire that was lit for us in the late afternoon & evening when the temperature drops significantly. There are plenty of places to sit both inside and outside, including a swimming pool area. The ambiance of the place is relaxing and friendly and the views over the surrounding area are just beautiful.

Room Tip: A room with a log fire is fun, I am not sure if all rooms have this.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Cambridge
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

If you can cope with a journey reminiscent of TV's "World's Most Dangerous Roads" then the Kasbah Bab Ourika is most definitely worth a stay!
We loved the extensive vegetable gardens and the beautifully designed seating areas dotted around the grounds. Days were spent reading and lounging on day beds inbetween gaping at the scenery. Think we were lucky to get three days of mainly sunshine in February ... the day before we arrived had seen non-stop rain and on the day we left it was raining again.
Meals were excellent and we were pleased that there was always a vegetarian option.
We had booked a Superior room for the fireplace, but were lucky enough to be upgraded to a suite with tons of room. The fire-lighting was a highlight every evening and it was just fab to return from dinner and fall in to bed with the fire flickering.
A very special place that rightly deserves the awards and accolades it has already received in three short years of being in existence. We shall return!!

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

A couple initial, negative experiences at the Kasbah influenced my "average" score:

First, upon arrival we were told that we had been "upgraded" to a suite; however, the suite was very disappointing. It is located on the ground level, a stone's throw away from the entrance and office (a thoroughfare) and guests walking outside on a path can see directly into the bedroom and bathroom (curtains are provided for privacy in the bath and toilet but it does not feel private). Thankfully, the manager, Amanda was able to place us in a deluxe room on the first floor, which we had booked. I wondered why we hadn't been given this originally especially considering it was much, much better than the "suite"; and it had extraordinary views.

Secondly, when I first phoned the Kasbah and asked about rooms, the manager advised me that I should book a deluxe room because the rooms come with a fire. Given it was winter I thought I'd take the plunge and pay the supplement for a deluxe room. When eventually we were given the deluxe room, it did not have a fireplace. Instead, a temperamental heater was provided. This was disappointing; it made me feel as if I had been conned. I explained this to Amanda but she advised me that not all deluxe rooms come with a fireplace. This should be noted by travellers seeking a fireplace in winter - you should specifically request it, if at all possible.

Despite having a generally negative experience on the first day, it would be remiss of me not to acknowledge the Kasbah for some of its - clearly exceptional - qualities. The views, on a good day, are extraordinary and the staff are amazingly accommodating: if you want to have breakfast or lunch anywhere on the patio/terrace overlooking the Atlas Mountains they are more than happy to set up wherever you like. The gardens are lovely and the restaurant serves a good selection of food and wine.

In terms of the food, I noticed some earlier reviews were uncomplimentary. I think the food is very good and, for an in-house restaurant providing service three times a day, the menu is relatively broad (typically two or three starter and main options and two dessert options). The menu clearly caters for the less-adventurous diners (it's quite Anglicised) so stock up on Moroccan cuisine before you arrive.

The deluxe room (#13) had exceptional views across the nearby terrain and Atlas Mountains. A bath and shower was provided. I did not like the aged rugs that appear in every room (including the bathroom!). I don't know if they are cleaned regularly (if at all) but when I was there they appeared unclean. Towels and sheets looks old, further adding to my feeling that, for over €200 per night, the Kasbah is overpriced.

The Kasbah maintains a DVD room with a healthy selection of movies. Outside activities are also provided, at an additional cost. We took a 5.5 hour trek through local villages and around the countryside which included a picnic. For €30 the picnic was bland and basic but we generally enjoyed the trekking experience. It's definitely catered for the older traveller and was not very demanding.

Overall, I feel that there is room for improvement at the Kasbah. If I were only visiting for a day it would receive five stars (and I note one of the previous reviewers who gave five stars did indeed only visit for a day). In addition to the initial negative experiences I outlined at the start, it is the room that disappointed me. I think high expectations are warranted for this price in the Atlas Mountains. I do hope Amanda and her team are able to lift their game and try and offer better value for money because it really is a stunning location with a lovely staff.

Room Tip: Don't choose the suite on the ground floor; not all deluxe rooms have fireplaces
Forest Row
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This place really has the wow factor. As you approach the hotel on a dusty track you wonder where on earth you're going. But it's well worth it!

It is in a truly unique location with amazing views where ever you look. We enjoyed the food, the grounds, the views, our room, the sun, the treks and walks around the nearby area.

And so handy for Marrakesh.

Can't wait to come back!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Utrecht, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Once our driver left the main road, we were taken along on narrow paths with potholes towards an unknown destination and were so happily surprised to find this to be it! We had a super lunch here, and whilst my daughter and granddaughter went trekking, I nestled myself with a book between the cushions in a corner outside and later on in one of the salons where a fire had been lit. Large, beautiful and well-tended garden with lots of herbs, tastefully decorated salons and court yard. Friendly and experienced guide - the girls came back glowing from the experience. We did not see the rooms, so to be completely honest I cannot give the "excellent" accolade. But it does not take much effort to imagine how relaxed and spoilt one should feel staying here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Perfect location for a bit of winter sun and r&r. Not for those who want evening entertainment - this is more civilised aperitif in bar followed by delicious food in restaurant. One thing I really like was that all meals started at a certain time but ended when the last guest had eaten - so very relaxed.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 9 - the second price band up - and had fantastic views of atlas, open fire and sho...
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

We spent three nights here in September 2012 after our week in Marrakech for our wedding.
It was a perfect mini moon, so relaxing, amazing rooms, great service, yummy food and great value.

Its the perfect contrast to Marrakech and a great way to experience the Atlas mountains.

We went on the Monday market trek with Mohammed, he was fantastic. Spoke perfect English and invited us to his home for mint tea. We also did the camel trek with Omar, again he was fantastic although he spoke less English but tried very hard to keep up conversation.

I would recommend the Kasbah in a heartbeat!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Kasbah Bab Ourika? Share your experiences!