“Great for the manchester party scene” 4 of 5 stars

You added The Rams Lodge to your Saves list
The Rams Lodge
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   389-393 Wilmslow Rd, Fallowfield M20 4WA, England   |
Glasgow, Scotland
“Great for the manchester party scene”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2008

The Drop Inn is by no means the nicest hotel you will ever stay in, it's also by no means the worst. It was attached to a pub by the same name which recently got taken on by a bunch of proactive ex-students and festival organisers who turned it into "The Ram and Shackle". Instead of a run down old pub it's now a cool venue very much on the scene. DJ's, live music and cheap drinks. This was perfect for me as a traveler. The place was packed with really good people who know where to go to have fun and are familliar with the city. I tagged along to house parties, clubs, bars and wandered about in the september sun. There are parks nearby, a road full of busses on which you'll never have to wait for more than a couple of minutes to get one to the centre (and it will cost you less than a quid!). The centre of the older student population in Manchester is this hotel. God only knows why it isn't a travellers hostel. It would do amazing. Until they realise this; go stay at the Drop Inn \ Ram and Shackle and have a week of student-orientated hedonism.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — They haven't turned it into a travellers hostal
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
North West
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2008

We booked to stay at this 'hotel' for one week but checked out after one night! The room was filthy although the bedding was clean. The corridors were dirty and smelly.
A note was pushed under the door to say that breakfast was to be served at a hotel on the opposite side of the main road but, when we tried to get out of the 'hotel' we found that we were locked in. Needless to say, we were the only people staying there.
I managed to find a phone number for the hotel opposite and got instructions on how to escape and we only went back after breakfast to collect our belongings.
Never again!!!!!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2008

We stayed in the Drop Inn for one night in December as we were going out with friends and needed a place to stay. As mentioned in previous reviews, the hotel was generally a bit run down and there is a strong smell of stale cigarette smoke in the corridors. The hotel is at the back of a (not very nice) pub and the entrance to the hotel/car park was covered in rubbish. However our room and bathroom were clean (and I couldn't smell smoke in the room), the bed was comfy and the sheets were clean. The staff were friendly and breakfast was fine. The hotel is also near a bus stop with frequent buses going into town. We paid £50 through ebookers and I think there are better value hotels (last week we paid the same amount to stay in a far nicer hotel (Hilton Chambers) in the city centre). In summary I would only recommend this hotel if you're looking for somewhere to sleep for a few hours after a night out.

• Liked — Near a bus stop. Fairly cheap.
  • Disliked — Rubbish outside the hotel.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Leeds, UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2007

Having read the other reviews about this hotel, I thought that surely establishments that charge decent money can't be that bad. It would seem they are.

If I were to write a complete review, it would merely echo what other reviewers have written, so a brief mention of the salient points I reckon.

The hotel is effectively a pub with an annexe at the back that serves as the hotel rooms. The rooms are filthy (however the sheets were clean but had holes in them) with stains everywhere and unclean carpets. The car park was full of old white goods and lots of rubbish. The pub served to fulfil the locals which is normally a good thing, however the locals in this instance were teenagers and I'm not sure whether these teenagers were legal to drink. Either that or I am getting old. The price of the rooms were ridiculous - £68 per room per night for a double. One of our friends who joined us on Saturday paid £56 for a single box room. Although a non-smoking hotel, there were ashtrays in all the rooms. Being a smoker myself, I am more than happy to smoke outside of the establishment as my partner doesn't smoke, so I was surprised to find that the ashtray in our room was in the drawer, and full of ash and butts. Odd moment - polystyrene coverings for the electrics in the hallways and predicatably poked through by passing guests.

The photos will serve to help you in your choice not to stay here - it really is as bad as people say. As always with bad points, there are good points and in this instance, the hotel is in a decent area for pubs (although we were turned away from a pub because we weren't students), there are decent places to eat and the bus stop into Manchester is a two minute walk with busses running all day and night. The staff were also very friendly and the service for breakfast was fine. I know some people may say that perhaps expectations are too high, but for £68 a night for essentially a B&B outside of Manchester, I think it's fair to say you would probably expect a little more. Pay a bit more money and stay at the Best Western up the road or book early and get a place in Manchester itself. I think we will do that next time...

• Liked — The room was warm.
  • Disliked — Everything else - please read the review!
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2006

I booked this hotel for myself and my family. I read a review online (not this website) that said it was good. Ha - what a laugh! I have never cringed so much in my life! I can only be thankful that the bedsheets were crisp and clean as otherwise I would have left and written off the cost of my two nights. The room definitely didn't feel clean, furniture was all mis-matched and in need of replacement, no satelite tv, the floor was hoovered "in places", the windowsill had cigarette ash on it, the bath had a cigarette butt in it, I could go on .....! I would definitely not recommend this hotel to anyone even if it was the last place to stay! I would have taken photos but I really didn't want to be reminded of my stay.

• Liked — I didn't
  • Disliked — Too many things to write
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't go there!
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Sussex
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2006

Well, the rooms were very shabby, there was a nice aroma of stale smoke, they obviously haven't done anything since it changed to a non smoking hotel....although there was an ashtray in my room!!!! The bathroom was in a terrible state, my dad's bath was rusty!!!! There was no remote for the TV and most of the channels were foreign and not tuned in very well. The walls are very thin and I could hear people talking all night in the next room.

The only good thing going for it was the breakfast. Very nice but that doesn't make it better.

As a pub I'm sure it's great, but for somewhere to stay for the night, it's a dive.

• Liked — The Breakfast
  • Disliked — The room
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't stay here
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Rugby, Warwickshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2006

NEVER AGAIN! The rooms were shabby and the carpets stained and burnt. There is an odour of cigarette smoke throughout and bars on the ground floor windows. Nothing in the room worked properly - this includes the loo and shower. No wonder you are asked to pay prior to your stay. Ask to see the room before you stay here.

• Liked — Clean Sheets
  • Disliked — Everything other than the clean sheets
  • Tips/Secrets — Never go here
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Rams Lodge? Share your experiences!