“Doesn't stand out from the crowd” 3 of 5 stars

BEST WESTERN Willowbank Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   340 Wilmslow Road, Fallowfield M14 6AF, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 50% off stays!
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Fallowfield
Biggleswade, United Kingdom
“Doesn't stand out from the crowd”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

Run of the mill 3 star hotel. Compact but clean and freshly decorated rooms, although some of the televisions only seem to get one channel?

Reception staff were not very efficient having been sent to an occupied room but to be fair my colleagues did not experience the same problem.

Breakfast in restaurant was ok and staff efficient, as was the case with reception staff on departure.

With reception on the first floor this may cause a problem for elderly guests!

Room Tip: If you don't like traffic noise ask for. A side or inner room.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
WillowBankManager, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Willowbank Hotel, responded to this review, December 14, 2013
Dear Douglas B

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay with us here at BEST WESTERN Willow Bank Hotel.

Please accept my most sincere apologizes that on this occassion your stay was not 100% and we were unable to exceed your expectations.

Customer feed back is very important to us, and we take all comments very seriously.

All point raised will be discussed with the team to ensure we iron out these imperfections.

I do hope we can welcome you back in the future

Neill Stockill

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Stamford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

I travel a lot, both in the UK and abroad. I stay in all types of hotels but like comfort and value for money. Arrived Friday afternoon. OK ish check in but failed to give me the code to get back in to the car park so had to go back and ask when I went out soon after my arrival. I was in Manchester on an intensive course so after my studies each day had to keep rested and focused.
Staff in communal areas ( apart from the bar staff ) are very helpful and pleasant. Can't say food is the best but after a hard day it hit the spot. However dislike things swimming in gravy or bone dry. There was no happy medium. Either / or. Breakfast was good although on the Sunday morning when breakfast starts later at 8 am most of the hot food was not out until a good 20 mins after. Not good when you pay an extra £10 and have to be on the road early.
Room was very small. Just enough room for bed and desk / dressing table. Glad I wasn't sharing. Bed comfy. Nice clean linen. Nice towels.
Shower was a dribble. Cold at night. Scalding in the morning. No power at all so hard to get shampoo rinsed off.
The worst factor was that the hotel is obviously focused on catering for parties. Which is fine but if you also have business people staying then it does not fit into the same mould.
The first night I was woken at 3.30 am by some girls 3 doors away singing and shouting. When Management arrived to tell them to shut up they couldn't even hear the knocking on the door ! Cue another 15 minutes of racket.
Same scenario next evening but different people in the room next door this time. From 3 - 4.30 am - running in the corridors, shouting, mobiles going, doors slamming etc. etc. I have never seen so many poor people at breakfast looking so exhausted, me included, while the perpetrators obviously had the luxury of a lie in.
So....... If you are a party animal this is the hotel for you, but if you want a good nights sleep, then I suggest you stay elsewhere.
For £85 per night plus £10 for breakfast and then an extra £5 to park the car every evening ( should be free for residents ) although not massively expensive for a UK hotel, I think it's overpriced and would not recommend it at all.

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
WillowBankManager, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Willowbank Hotel, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear Nicole

Thank you for taking the time to write your in depth review following your recent stay with us here at BEST WESTERN Willow Bank Hotel, I Thank you for your kind words in relation to our comfy beds and crisp linen.
I am sincerely sorry that your stay with us was not perfect and that we were unable to exceed your expectations on this visit.
We are very much a hotel with focus on our bedrooms, rather than our banquetting however Christmas is an exceptionally busy time of the year in this department, I am sorry that you comfort was disturbed through noise from our other hotel guests, Our night managers do try hard to eleminate such disturbance as soon as it is brought to our attention, however sometimes with guests in high spirits this can be a challenge.
Your comments are very important to us, and will of course be considered with our pending menu change and any future refurbishment plans.
I do hope we can welcome you back some time in the future, please do contact me directly and I would assure you a superior stay.

KInd Regards

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

We had room 99 on a Friday evening to see the Christmas fair. Be warned it is £15 taxi fare each way to the Arndale Centre.

We suffered from lots of noise from the Post Office depot directly outside the window, especially from 7am Saturday morning, had to close the window and suffer the heat of the room, even with the radiator off. Really not pleasant, especially the colourful language.

Noise from a disco downstairs until midnight, and the raucous cackle of three drunken girls in the room above at 2am, until someone told them to stop.

Food in the "restaurant" not good. The Waitress had to collect all the wine glasses from all of the tables after my wife commented on the cleanliness of hers, as all the others were not clean either!

Stilton mushroom starter was surprisingly excellent. However Pork with cider jous, was tough white meat in acidic orange coloured goo, served on a bed of lumpy mached potato. My wife had Chiken Kofta kebabs, which turned out to be 2 insipid small sausagers, less then 2" in length served on a wooden cocktail stick, with a small circular pitta bread, tough as dried cardboard, complete with a dish of watery yoguhrt. It looked like it had been extracted from a £2 Iceland party food package. They tasted disgusting, how did the "chef" have the nerve to send anything like this, out to a customer.

Would we return, no not ever, even if the price was free.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Phillip_Leslie

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us here at BEST WESTERN Willow Bank Hotel, I am sorry that your stay was less than perfect on this occasion, and that your nights sleep was disturbed by noise from the neigbouring property and guests that were attending our Christmas Party night.
I am most concerned by your comments about our menu and food service, the points raised will be discussed with our kitchen brigade and improvements implemented immediately.
Customer feed back is very imprtant to us, as it is only from such comments that we are able to improve our product and service detail, I do hope your stay will not deter you from staying with BEST WESTERN Hotels in the future.

County Durham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

First class service at reception and restaurant, very comfortable room and bed, nothing was to much trouble for te waiters or kitchen staff, excellent prepared meals, recepionist on duty was very helpful and informative.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear Crookoap

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us here at BEST WESTERN Willow Bank Hotel, I am delighted that your stay with us was a pleasant one and that the team were able to make you comfortable and at home.

I do hope we can welcome you back in the near future

Lincoln, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

I arrived - some many minutes later I entered my room where the phrase 'swinging a cat' is not one that comes to mind. I had requested a quiet room via Laterooms and reception had no knowledge at all. After asking more directly for quiet and peace I was allocated room No.96 - it is so small I cannot shift the direction of the chair at the desk more than a few inches.
Although my room does face the secure car park the noise from the road is palpable so if you, like me, are a light sleeper please book elsewhere.
I felt sorry for the reception lady as she was only on the back foot as complaints fired in from all around. She did well - and didn't comment when I said she deserved better - although a knowing smile told me all I needed to know.
For the price of £115.00 I have stayed in hundreds of hotels so much better than this, in fact maybe thousands. Would I return ever again - well no, never, never - I would rather drive overnight and forsake the stay.
Forgot - hairs in the bathroom. Photo of hotel is ever so misleading - it is on a main road.
Best Western should have more pride.

Room Tip: Mmmmm - not much good.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear Cordwangle

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us here at BEST WESTERN Willow Bank Hotel, I am sorry that your stay was disturbed due to external noise, we are in the heart of Manchester's student quarter in a suberb of the city that is quite lively with all of our on line discriptions presenting this information.
Customer feed back is very important to us, as it is from such comments we are able to improve are standards and service detail, It is always sad when guests do not wish to return however I do hope your experience will not deter you from staying with BEST WESTERN Hotels in the future.

Glasgow
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

I booked two rooms at this hotel for 29/11/13 to 1/12/13; a single and a twin. We were given rooms on the same level as reception and the first indication of the poor standards were in the corridor before we got into our rooms. The corridor between rooms 74 and 94 absolutely reeked of damp, which I later traced to a leaking radiator that had obviously been leaking for some time as could be seen from the mould on the carpet. Room 73 was the twin room and someone had left a "gift" in the toilet bowl which really should have been taken care of by the cleaners. That room was otherwise clean, but the wallpaper was coming off the wall in places. The first room I got was room 88 which was in the damp-smelling corridor. The room was quite clean but it was absolutely tiny with the smallest shower I have ever seen - made worse by the fact that the shower door was broken and wouldn't close so it stuck into the shower cubicle. I asked for a change of room and was given an alternative within ten minutes. The next room was room 95 and the corridor outside this room smelled of blocked drains. The room itself smelled like someone had been smoking in it and I had to spray it with perfume. The window was filthy, with human (I hope) hair stuck to it, the bottom of the wardrobe was broken and the bath was chipped. I had been looking forward to a relaxing bath but the lack of hot water put paid to that too. Luckily, the beds were very comfortable and I did get a great sleep. It's such a shame this hotel isn't up to a better standard as it is in a great location and the staff were all very friendly and helpful - it definitely isn't worth the £300 we paid for 2 nights room only.

Room Tip: Don't take a room on the same level as reception.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
WillowBankManager, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Willowbank Hotel, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Dear Alleybee13

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us here at BEST WESTERN Willow Bank Hotel, I am sorry that your stay was not 100% perfect.
Customer feed back is very important to us, as it is from such comments that we are able to improve the product and service detail we offer to our guests.
We do have a rolling redecoration programme in place with our bedroom stock and next year we will be looking at freshening up our corridors, which will improve that first impression.
Your cleaning issues have been brought to the attention of our head housekeeper who assures me this was an isolated incident.

I am delighted that you found our beds comfortable and had a good nights sleep.

I do hope we can welcome you back in the future when you are next visiting Manchester.

Cambridge, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

I have now stayed here on 2 occasions on business and have found both stays to be very good. The location is fantastic with a few chain pubs/restaurants close by, a great pub across the road and buses seemingly every 2 minutes from practically outside the hotel into the centre of Manchester. Curry Mile is about a 20 minute walk away.

There is secure parking at the hotel which is a bonus. I ended up staying an additional night booked on the day and got an upgraded room. The standard room is pretty basic but for the price is more than acceptable. The first night I stayed the heating hadn't been put on but a visit to reception this was rectified. TV and music centre provided with the usual tea and coffee facilities.
The superior room didn't have the music centre but a bigger TV and a massive bed.

Staff were friendly and during check in there was a large party in front of us, but we waited in the lounge area until they were checked in with out a fuss. Breakfast was expensive at £10 but was very good.

Bus ride to the centre was only 25 minutes and cost £4 return with the ticket valid until 4am so easy access to the centre every few minutes.

Overall a great place to stay, close to the buzz of the university.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
WillowBankManager, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Willowbank Hotel, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Dear Metnel

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us here at BEST WESTERN Willow Bank Hotel.

I am delighted that you have chosen to stay with us once again and thank you for your kind words, which of course will be shared with the team.

I hope we can welcome you back again in the future

Neill Stockill

Been to BEST WESTERN Willowbank Hotel? Share your experiences!