“Very nice stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Steigenberger Airport Hotel Amsterdam

You added Steigenberger Airport Hotel Amsterdam to your Saves list
Steigenberger Airport Hotel Amsterdam
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Stationplein ZW 951 | 1117 Schiphol-Oost, 1117 CE Schiphol, The Netherlands (Formerly Dorint Hotel Amsterdam/Airport)   |
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Schiphol
Doha, Qatar
“Very nice stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

My family and I recently stayed at the Steigenberger Airport Hotel Amsterdam on our way home to Doha after a wonderful holiday in the Caribbean. We stayed one night during a layover in Amsterdam and were treated very well at the hotel by a very friendly and accommodating staff. Rooms are very nice, extremely clean and comfortable. Great Pub/restaurant at the Hotel. Highly recommend for a short stay.

Room Tip: Very convenient if you are in Amsterdam for a quick turnaround at the airport.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Victoria, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Smiles on check-in, smiles on depature. It's the in-between that really counts. I stayed for 6 nigts, as work kept me in the general area. Standard bed and breakfast deal. The breakfast is excellent. Rooms are clean and supplied with basics.

Housekeeping did not ensure filling the liquid soap dispenser in the shower. Shower - another impossibly stupid Euro convention whereby it is impossible to shower without splashing water out of the enclosure, so the floor is always wet an so is the bath mat.
Main critique from this, my second vist to this location, is the tricky area of customer service...
On my third evening I went to the sports bar with my paper to eat and read. I was solo. Occupancy at 65%. Table choices were limited to a double (2 person) or quad (4 person). The doubles where all arranged together - some where occupied already. I chose a quad for comfort (bench seat at my back) and light, and so I could catch the last of the day's light to read by.
Waitress asked if others would join me. (I could predict her next request). "No".
"Would you mind moving to another table?" "Yes, I would mind" "But we might get busy and want this table"
"You can have 'em all".

I went across the street to another mid-range place with kitschy male waiters dressed in faux pilot shirts, Wings Cafe, was adequate. It was either that or bus it back to the airport and eat at some place there.
It just wasn't busy enough for this request.

Some of the back story: my colleague and his request for a bed for his small 12 year old son... after the promised triple room did not materialize... and as no extra bed or cot was able to be provided, I stripped the unused extra bed in my room and loaned the little gaffer bedding so he could sleep on the floor in his parent's room.

Then, the incredulous smirk on the face of the waiter when we asked for side plates while we shared appetizers...

As I reported my concern about the table change request to reception, I was handled with complete and utter indifference and there was zero follow up from anyone. Sometimes the personality traits of some employees just seems to render them... insufficient to the task.

We have several compay employees at this hotel on occasion. I have choice, and will not stay at the Steigenberger again on my next business trip.

The hotel may of course respond to this critical review - it will no doubt contain the usual bland mantras espoused in the latest hospitality manual. "We hope you will see us again..."
The Dutch are not the only stubborn people in the Euro-zone. Not a chance.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Parsippany, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Always stay here for business trips. The shuttle to and from the airport is always on-time and runs frequently. I have never been bothered by noise, sleep like a baby. Staff is helpful, meeting rooms are good, the lounge is great for a drink. The one down side is that there is no where to easily grab a bag of chips or a soda - stock up on that at the airport before catching the shuttle.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Fairfield, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

I had an overnight layover in Amsterdam and booked this hotel redeeming miles. I was surprised at how new and funky this hotel was. The floors literally smelled like new carpet. The room was not very big, but very well laid out. The bathroom was spacious and new. The stand to put your suitcase was situated in an open area between the coat closet and a cabinet, which contained the safe, fridge, coffemaker and ironing board/iron. The cabinet had a very fun design with separate compartments for all the items and pictures of them on the door handles. There is also a gallery in the lobby of the hotel, which really elevated the lobby area. The spa has many services, including massages, facials, etc. which I found unusual given the location. I wish I had time to use those services. I did visit the pool, which was quite nice. The most impressive part of the hotel for me was the fact that they had not one, but two 24/7 establishments. A sports and media bar, which has many TVs, free WIFI, tons of drinks and some average food. They also have a coffee bar with a very cute library which also offers food and drinks all night. My flight into Amsterdam arrived late, so it was nice to get a Heineken and some grub when I got to the hotel. I went to the bar because it offered outside seating. There is also what appeared to be a very nice Italian restaurant where breakfast is also served. The shuttle to the airport runs every half hour, which is convenient. The wifi was strong in the room, but I definitely could not use it while I was sitting outside. The hotel also features a fair trade and green floor, which I would imagine is pretty cool as well. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Chessington, Surrey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

The Steigernberger is fine for a quick trip where I was working close to the aorport so did not want to go into the centre of amsterdam.

They have a nice informal bar selling snacks rather than having to go into the main restaurant.

Rooms were good, service was good, no bad points to highlight. I would use this hotel again.

Room Tip: This hotel runs a free bus shuttle to and from the airport.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

The hotel building looks new and so was the room. Service was good. Free unlimited wifi. The hotel is a ten minutes drive from the airport and there's a free shuttle every half hour. We used the shuttle to catch train to the city centre via airport.

• Stayed August 2013
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Our stay at the Steigenberger Airport hotel was very good as they have a free Shuttle bus that operates for the hotel to the Airport and back every 30 mins. The hotel itself is very nice inside and the rooms are also clean and comportable.
I do think this is a very convenient place for a short s

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Steigenberger Airport Hotel Amsterdam? Share your experiences!