“Perfect for us!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mercure Schiphol Terminal

You added Mercure Schiphol Terminal to your Saves list
Mercure Schiphol Terminal
3.0 of 5 Specialty Hotel   |   Amsterdam Airport Schiphol Terminal Building | PO Box 75041, 1117 ZN Schiphol, The Netherlands   |
Pleasant Hill, California
“Perfect for us!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

We decided to stay overnight at Schiphol because of an extended flight connection. After looking at all the choices we decided to stay at Mercure. For us it was perfect. The room was nicely appointed, was fairly priced, had everything we needed, and despite the fact that it was right in the middle of a busy airport our room was completely soundproof. Schiphol has a train station in the airport and from there we took a 15 minute train ride straight to downtown Amsterdam where we enjoyed a brief but wonderful stay along with a delightful dinner in the old City.

One warning. Schihol is quite large, so make sure you know where the Mercure in the airport so you won't waste time like we did trying to find the Hotel..

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Polish first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

This was the last hotel on our 5 country European tour. Wish I could say we saved the best for last. This was not the case. I'd selected Mecure because we were leaving on an early am flight from Amsterdam to the US. We had only carry-on's so we knew that the next day, we wouldn't have to go back through immigration. We'd spent a long travel day getting to the hotel, driving from Como to Milan and then flying from Milan to Amsterdam. By the time we got through customs and to the hotel (not as easy to find as I thought, had to ask several people where it was), we arrived at 6:45 p.m. ready to get into our room, shower and enjoy one more night in Amsterdam. The front desk staff was pleasant enough, but quickly informed us that check in wasn't until 8 pm. I remembered that you could purchase a day rate, but at $150.00 American dollars, this was not what I reserved. I expected to check in immediately, especially since we were leaving at 8 am the next day. The clerk suggested we could pay more to check in. We were both ticked off at this and decided to go get something to eat and then return to check in. I really wanted a shower, but decided not to push it.
Instead of the airport restaurants, we opted to take the train into Amsterdam for our last night. Had dinner and walked around before checking in at about 10 p.m.
Once inside the room, I found the room to be spartan and dorm style. Yes, it was clean and modern, but small. The bed and pillows were not comfortable. The pillows, in particular, were bricks. The shower had a handheld, which, unknown to me, was not screwed in properly. When I turned on the shower, it exploded in my eye and flooded the floor. Why wasn't this noticed during housekeeping? After mopping up the floor with the only 2 towels we had and finally getting to bed, I didn't sleep well with the hard bed and pillow. Instead of our wakeup call at 7 am, I woke to the strong smell of jet fuel. Must have been coming in from the fresh air intake. Not a pleasant way to wake up.
I will give this room credit that it was quiet, which surprised me, but I still couldn't sleep. We saw a Sheraton just outside the airport that looked better. For the short turn-around business traveler who can sleep anywhere, this hotel will work. It didn't for us.

Room Tip: Remember you can't check in at the normal time.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

What an excellent airport hotel - so handy but probably better if you are a connecting passenger but do not have luggage. I flew in on BA and was leaving on KLM so had to schlep my luggage through the airport and through passport control which was a bit of a pain.

Friendly welcome at the desk and check in was extremely quick. My room was down the corridor to the left and actually overlooked the BA check in desks.

Room is everything you could need for a night. Large, comfortable bed with lots of pillows and lovely shower with ample amenities in the bathroom.

You can buy food and drink from the front desk.

Rooms are generally quiet too. Perhaps you could hear a few announcements from downstairs in the morning if you listened very carefully but they weren't at a volume which would bother anyone.

Very friendly checkout.

Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Schiphol
citizenM Schiphol Airport
Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel and Conference Center
Ibis Budget Amsterdam Airport
Hotel Ibis Amsterdam Airport
Steigenberger Airport Hotel Amsterdam
Hilton Amsterdam Airport Schiphol

Been to Mercure Schiphol Terminal? Share your experiences!