“Fine Hotel, Major Room key issues.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel and Conference Center

You added Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel and Conference Center to your Saves list
Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel and Conference Center
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Schiphol Boulevard 101, 1118 BG Schiphol, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Schiphol
GreenLeadersSilver level
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Fine Hotel, Major Room key issues.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

To start with the positives:
It is a good hotel with quiet clean rooms and lovely well trained young staff. All the hardware is solid and it has a pleasing quality feel. Good gym opposite the lobby as well.
The location is great: 2 minutes walking distance from the Schiphol Airport terminals and the underground railway station. To characterize this hotel in one word: Convenient!

There is one thing this hotel really needs to sort out: The magnetic room keys. I stay here a lot, and at least 50% of the time I try to enter my room, the key no longer works. This is either due to the (low) quality magnetic strip, or due to strange computer constraints the reception staff programs. (and no, I don't keep my room key with my mobile phone) Without wanting to sound spoiled; if you go to the 7th floor after a nights work, and you have to go back to the lobby with your luggage, stand in line again, just because the key won't open the door, it does not help your mood. Reception staff even acknowledged the problem. They indicated many customers have to come back to get their room keys fixed: So clear message to management; You want happy customers, make sure they can actually get into their rooms without having to back to the reception over and over again.

Room Tip: Try a room ending with an even number. These rooms look out over the airport. Uneven room numbers lo...
2 Thank Rene S
KurtRenold, General Manager at Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear Rene S,

Thank you for your loyalty and choosing to stay at our hotel again. I am glad that our ideal location and solid hotel service and facilities can together contribute a very pleasant feeing during your stay. However I feel very sorry to read that you have been annoyed so many times by the room key issue that you experienced. This is definitely not the level of Sheraton hotels we are proud to offer to our guests. I will personally follow up on this with our engineering manager in order to make sure this problem will not happen like this again. Once again thank you very much for your feedback. And I certainly look forward to your next visit in the coming future.

The Hague, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Relative to my earlier reviews, things appear to have somewhat improved at the Sheraton Schiphol. In particular, check-in and check-out went fast and indeed there appeared to be more staff available for that. Since I arrived earlier in the evening, could turn on the aircon in the room, which fortunately also works if you are not in there, and brought the temperature down to reasonable levels, although still on the warm side for sleeping. Bed was huge and very comfortable. No coffee maker in the room (unless you ask for that to be brought, which I always forget) but at least some white morning coats provided to help you go and get (very good) coffee from the station in the corridor. Don't forget your room key!

Due to reconstruction of the access roads to the terminal and of the premium parking very close to the Sheraton, it is now a little harder to reach it, but not insurmountable. Location inside the terminal remains top notch and cannot be beaten, also the upscale overall atmosphere positively imfluences the mood.

1 Thank Hermes_NL
Dear Hermes_NL,

On behalf of all the staffs here, we thank you for your loyalty to Sheraton and to our Amsterdam property. I appreciate that you took the time to give us your honest reviews again. They really can help us to find our improvement points and we have been working hard on improving and offering our guests best service and facilities all the way. We will be awaiting your next visit with delight.

Budapest, Hungary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

This was the third time I stayed in the hotel. The service was genuinely friendly each time.
We had decent breakfasts, lunches and dinners in the Voyager restaurant, which was a little over-priced and slow for our largish company of 7-9 folks.
Rooms are spacious, but the wifi fee of €19 per day is really annoying...
I would underline the friendliness once more - that makes this place unique. ... And location...

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Bence V,

It was my pleasure to read your feedback following your recent stay at Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel and Conference Center. I would like to thank you for your compliments about our hotel facilities and service. It is such a pleasant thing to welcome you back and we made it again for creating your unique stay with us. Also many thanks for sharing the feedback about your restaurant and wifi experience. And I would love to discuss these points with my team members.
I surely look forward to welcoming you back again for your fourth stay with us in the coming future.

Shanghai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I have had only good experiences with Sheraton hotels in airports, and this was another one.

I had arrived from a 24 hour connecting flight so I was a bit tired and jet lagged.
I got there very early, and I had booked my room from the night before. Check in took less then 5 minutes. Very professional staff.

The hotel is super conveniently located on the airport terminal. It is modern, rooms are very comfortable, staff around the hotel is very professional and helpful, room service was very good. Internet was very fast, there are 24 hour a day tea/coffee facilities close to the lifts on the floors ( good quality, excellent presentation ).

The health club is a bit small, but it is ok for a workout. I had a great time there!

On the terminal, which is less then a 5 minute walk you can find everything you need, from food, electronics, exchange, and it is very easy to get into Amsterdam. It took around 20 minutes or so by train from the airport terminal.

• 4 of 5 stars
KurtRenold, General Manager at Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear Mbaramal,

Thank you very much for these nice comments. It is a sincere pleasure to hear we contributed to a very relaxing and enjoyable stay. Furthermore, thank you for specific compliments regarding the professionalism of our staff, the comfortness of the room and our room service. I will most definitely pass your warm words on to them. I wish to welcome you back soon in our hotel and to provide you again with the same service level.

Once more, many thanks for your comment.
Utrecht
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

This is now my 4th stay in this property and I will probably keep coming back here, even when I need to be in the city. I've stayed at the Pulizer before, which is also their property but I just keep coming back to this one. It has everything you need and more. Good gym, steam room, pool and a club lounge.

Lately I've been more into a raw kind of diet so I try to east mostly unprocessed foods. This presents some challengers when traveling but I try to load up on doggy bags with eggs, salmon and meats whenever I can. They weren't availble in the club lounge when I was there, but the staff was super helpful and got me some items from the kitchen to store my 'lunch' in.

I was also an hour over my late checkout. (5pm instead of 4pm), but they didnt make an issue out of it.

To add some perspective to my review I will say that I think their prices are pretty steep but I guess that's what the market is willing to pay for it, because they sell out on a regular basis and the hotel is always busy.

That being said, I still prefer this one over any other 'chain' hotel in Amsterdam - because AMS is so spread out anyway you need to take a tram or cab anyway. If you're on the move, Sheraton Schiphol Airport is the best choice.

PS if you specifically want to stay INSIDE the city. Check out the Sofitel Grand or Conservatorium Hotel. Especially the last one is really good.

1 Thank WytzeNL
Dear WytzeNL,

Many thanks for sharing your warm comment with us. It was a sincere pleasure to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. I would like to thank you for your compliments regarding specifically our Health & Fitness center and the service our staff provided you. I will definitely pass your kind words on to them as well.

Once more WytzeNL, thank you for taking the time to leave your comment with us and I hope to see you back in our hotel in the near future.

Burbank, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I came to the Netherlands (Maastricht) for a short 5 day visit. My outbound flight left Schipol at 7:15 am, so I selected this property because of its extremely convenient airport location. My room was very well appointed with excellent insulation (quiet) and quite modern and stylish. The public areas are also very well appointed. My only objection to this facility was the steep room price. Because of my early flight and long travel day to the USA, I decided it was worth the cost. However, paying 400 Euro's (US $ 532) is a completely 'over the top' price for what a is basically a very nice airport hotel. For $532, in the USA, I could have stayed at a luxury resort. I found it very annoying then being told that there was another E19.95 charge (US $ 26.50) for internet access in my room. I don't get the philosophy that more expensive property think it's OK to charge extra for internet access when mid-priced hotels (such as Best Western) don't charge at all. So to avoid the charge, I had to sit in the lobby--then their system automatically logged you out every 30 minutes so that interrupted some uploading of pictures that I was doing. So apart from the steep cost, I would recommend this property is close airport access is a must (or if someone else [your company] is paying the bill!]

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
Dear Mr. MitchThomas,

First of all, thank you for sharing your experience with us via Tripadvisor. It is good to hear we were able to positively contribute to your short visit to the Netherlands. I would like to thank you for your compliments relating to the convenience of our rooms and the allocation. Though, my sincere apologies that you felt the price/ value relation was not up to standard. We strive to provide all our guests the comfort and genuine care they deserve. I will definitely pass your feedback on to the hotel management.

In closing, once more my sincere gratitude for your comment and I hope we will be able to provide you with a more up to standard service in the future.

Innsbruck, Austria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

The reservations line took quite a time to connect and actually disconnected itself in midst conversation which was annoying. Reception staff friendly but not authentic, you get the impression they are running down a list of questions. Hotel location is fantastic and easily accessable from the terminal. My room was clean albeit a bottle cap lay next to the bed, bathroom was immaculate, good first impression. Complimentary sirup waffles and 2 small bottles of water in the room..great! Free Wifi for the 1st 30 mins. so if you have different devices, each get 30 mins. air time for free :-), after that its expensive. A/C dried out the air in the room, room climate not that great if you suffer from that (cannot open a window...). Great breakfast in the morning, staff same as reception, not really interested in your well being but rattling down the standard courtesy questions. Nice selection of fruit, teas, hot & cold meals. Great beds. All in all fine for one night but overall experience felt a little sterile.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank M Z
Dear M Z,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your specific compliments regarding the hotel location and the room cleanliness. However, I am sorry to learn we did not go the extra mile to make you feel more comfortable and to provide you our personal touch. Furthermore, I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced regarding the air-conditioning. May I kindly ask you to inform us next time during your stay so we are able to help you immediately. Nevertheless, I will definetly follow up on this with my Maintenance Manager.

Once more, thank you for your comment and I hope to welcome you back soon at the Sheraton Amsterdam Airport hotel.

Kurt Renold
Also consider these accommodations in or near Schiphol
citizenM Schiphol Airport
Hilton Amsterdam Airport Schiphol
Steigenberger Airport Hotel Amsterdam
Hotel ibis Amsterdam Airport
Ibis Budget Amsterdam Airport
Radisson Blu Hotel Amsterdam Airport

Been to Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!