“EXCELLENT HOTEL, VERY POOR INTERNET” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel and Conference Center

Save Saved
You added Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel and Conference Center to your Saves list
Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel and Conference Center
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Schiphol Boulevard 101, 1118 BG Schiphol, The Netherlands   |
Offers & Announcements
€209 (EUR)
Ranked #3 of 6 hotels in Schiphol
Edmonton, Canada
“EXCELLENT HOTEL, VERY POOR INTERNET”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

I have stayed there twice in August, and have had a very good experience with virtually all aspects of the hotel. The staff were extremely competent and friendly (especially Annemiek in Customer Service) The rooms were large, very clean and very well laid out, with enough power outlets for charging all of my computer/phone equipment. The breakfast was excellent. Room service was also. Two issues arose, one very minor and one very annoying and beyond the ability of the hotel staff to correct immediately. If you arrive at the airport by taxi, as I did, you are dropped at the ground level. When I walked in, l was greeted with a number of banquet room tables in an area that is unattended by staff. There is no signage to indicate where guest registration is. When I found the elevator, then it became obvious where to go. This is not a big issue, but needs to be corrected. The major annoyance was Internet service. Even though I registered for the 19 Euro package, the Internet was nonexistent. I called the front desk and staff came up promptly. Even with a modem in the room 3 feet away from my laptop, I was getting poor signal and no connectivity at all that was usable. A restart of the modem did not produce any results. For an airport hotel that I would imagine has a large proportion of business guests requiring this service, this is totally unacceptable. Customer service refunded my charge and apologized, but that is not the point. This needs to be fixed properly, period. If you do not need Internet service, I would highly recommend this location. If you do, you may want to look elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
KurtRenold, General Manager at Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear gmdalberta,

First of all, I was so happy to read that you enjoyed the genuine and excellent hospitality we provided you with on your recent trip to Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel in August. We pride ourselves on providing our guests with only the best of service so I was so glad we met your expectations.

Furthermore I also would like to thank you for proving us your honest opinion and feedback about our improvement points. In terms of the missing signage, I will definitely follow up on this for you. I can understand that it would be much more convenient for you if we can offer the signage on the ground floor to show the way to go to front desk. Besides that you also mentioned that the internet service you experienced was not good. I am very sorry to hear that and please accept my sincere apologies for your inconvenience. I will personally pass your feedback to our IT department because in our hotel high internet speed service is one of our most important services we are offering to our guests. I look forward to personally welcoming you upon your next visit to us.

803 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

We spent three nights waiting for seats back to the US (holiday season in Europe). With the exception of inflexibility on the part of good solid business practices vs. a little common sense human intervention, the stay could not have been better. And I would not focus too much attention on that exception....it was probably a culture thing for the front desk to emphatically say "no" to a little flexibility with regard to check out time, for example.

Efficient, very professional and very helpful front desk staff (and over three days, we saw nearly everyone of them). Great follow up on glitches to service (a roll away took a long time to arrive; and the manager in charge of the department that caused the delay personally showed up, apologized and then did some special things to back up the apology). Super good.

Clean, well appointed rooms, wonderful concierge, pretty nice frequent traveler lounge, and oh so convenient to flights and trains. Great.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
KurtRenold, General Manager at Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Dear Zha MD,

Thank you for your time and efforts to write this review regarding your experience with us. It is great to hear that your 'stay could not have been better', our goal is to always offer best possible service and I am happy to read you felt well taken care of during your unplanned layover.

I will pass your comments on towards my team, I am sure they find it valuable! Should you visit Amsterdam in the future, I hope to have the pleasure to meet again.

Kurt Renold.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We were stuck at the Amsterdam airport for a 12-hour layover after traveling for an entire day. I was tired and aggravated and couldn't imagine walking around Amsterdam aimlessly at 6:00 AM for an entire day or staying at the airport listening to screaming kids. So, my boyfriend and I decided to walk across the street to the Sheraton Hotel and checked in for the day as they offered a spa on site. The cost was approximately $225 and was worth every dollar. We considered taking a taxi to a hotel that was $99 for the day however, the convenience of the Sheraton being right at the airport was worth the extra $$. Not only were the rooms comfortable and quiet but the spa facilities were relaxing. What better way to spend your layover than in a steam room? We had lunch at the hotel bar and were impressed. The food was unique and tasty plus the staff was friendly. Once it was time for our flight, we were rejuvenated and ready to continue our travels. I would definitely go back to this hotel next time I have a long layover in Amsterdam which seems to be continuous over the last few years.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
KurtRenold, General Manager at Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Dear kristin r,

I read with great pleasure your posting on TripAdvisor regarding your stay with us in July. Thank you kindly for being so generous with your comments. I am glad that we could help you and make both you and your boyfriend fully “rejuvenated” after such a long and tiring layover happened to you.

I am delighted to learn that you were so impressed about our Sheraton Fitness & Spa and also the food in our restaurant.

We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to our hotel in the not too distant future.

Shakopee, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I was only in Amsterdam for two nights for this trip so the location was perfect. The hotel is connected to the airport and therefor the train. The travel time from the airport to the center of the city is 18 minuets at a very minimal cost. It is also very easy to access by car. The breakfast buffett in the morning offers a nice mix between traditional European and American breakfast foods. The room are the size you would see in most American hotels. Since it is connected to the airport there are many more quick dining options just a short wald away as there is a large mall before you clear customs.

Room Tip: If you like to see airplanes land and take off ask for a room facing the airport on one of the top f...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Stephanie P,

Thank you very much for choosing us to be your comfortable and convenient stay choice during your short trip in Amsterdam. I am happy you enjoyed the convenience in transferring from airport to our hotel as well as to the city Amsterdam.

We look forward to having the pleasure of having you with us once again very soon.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

630am wake up call this morning for an early flight from AMS, and was so glad I'd chosen to stay here again.. Sheraton is actually the closest of the 2 hotels to the arrival and departure terminals-it's possible to be at check in desks within a 5-10 minute walk depending on terminal.

As for the hotel, check in was a breeze, and the room on the SPG member floor 5 was functional but if its a wow you're looking for, you'll be disappointed.

Bed was comfy but bedding way too dense and unwieldy which didn't aid a great night's sleep.

Bar and restaurant looked standard for an airport hotel, and a small but well equiped gym facility is located at reception level.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear anthonyruk,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor regarding your stay with us this August. I am glad that you appreciated the most convenience from our hotel to the airport. I would also like to thank you for your feedback regarding the bedding issue of our Sheraton Sweet Sleeper bed. I will certainly follow up on it with our housekeeping manager.

Once again, thank you for the recommendation and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

Excellent stay, highly recommended. Rooms are spacious, clean, nice and correspond to 5* rating. Hotel is quiet and has nice facilities such as gym and the pool. Complimentary hot drinks. Very convenient location, if u have a connection flights, or just a little time to spend in the city. U don't even have to step out of the airport to enter to hotel. If u want to go to The city, it s cca 15 minutes by the train.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear mishii_mis,

First of all, let me thank you for your recent comments and compliments about our hotel facilities.
We are delighted to read that you had an “excellent stay” in our hotel. It is our pleasure to learn that our hotel can offer the most convenience to our guests no matter whether they go to the city Amsterdam or go to take the flight.

We hope that we could thrill you once again during a future visit in Schiphol Amsterdam Airport.

Mumbai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

At check in, I was given a key to my room without verifying my identity. This I consider a major safety and security hazard. (I mentioned this to the receptionist while checking out). Strangely the bell captain insisted on my identity to retrieve my luggage from the storage but my room key was handed over to me without any verification. This doesn't really match up in terms of consistency.

The room by itself was comfortable with a convenient refreshment centre and vending machine near the elevator to make your own tea, coffee or espresso. Very good in terms of convenience. Although, we missed having the option of hot chocolate as not everyone drinks tea or coffee.

The room provided one very small bottle of complimentary water. For double occupancy that is very little. It would be nice to have two bottles of water in the rooms. (We made arrangements to buy our own extra water eventually .)

Despite being so close to the airport, there as no sound of airplanes. The hotel was a couple of minutes walking from the Schiphol plaza which was very convenient. Admittedly this hotel is a whole lot more expensive than other hotels in the area. I would easily say, almost double the price than other hotels. I assume they charge this premium because it is one of the only hotels within walking distance other than the Hilton and CitizenM Schiphol.

The breakfast at the hotel was excellent and we were spoilt for choice. Numerous choice of breads, breakfast pastries, juices, fruits, yogurts, sparkling wine, mineral water, cheeses, cold cuts, baked beans, hash browns, mushrooms, an omelette station, smoked salmon and shrimp along with some salad.

2/3 days that we were at breakfast the chef was missing from the omelette station and we had to request one of the servers to call them. The chef Ms. Agnes seemed kind of grumpy and intimidating in her behaviour which was very unwelcome to begin the morning. Almost like she seemed overworked. To get our order, we had to be extra polite , almost like she was the guest and we the hotel staff. (This is not to cause trouble to this chef but just feedback.)

Almost all major hotels offer complimentary wifi Internet but here only the first 30minutes are free and then you have to pay a high fee. On request, we were given a one hour access at the Link @ Sheraton in the lobby and the speed was unbelievably fast. One of the best so in terms of data area safer at lightening speeds - it was a great experience. It would be nice to have complimentary Internet access throughout.

We happened to be at the lobby on one of the afternoons when the Emirates crew happened to be checking in. During that period, it is impossible to get the attention of anyone at the reception for almost 30 minutes as it an airline crew from an A380 aircraft which is a lot of people checking in.

The fitness centre is well equipped but it appeared the steam and sauna are common facilities for men and women (with individual changing rooms thankfully). This is strange as almost all hotels offer gender specific facilities.

A request for late check out was given a standard answer of a fee of € 10 per hour of extra usage. I assume this is a standard policy at this hotel as a number of guests must be requesting this service in case of evening departures. Usually when hotels have rooms available they are willing to extend check out times for a couple of hours but not this hotel.

Overall, a good stay but a few considerations as listed above would make it well worth staying again.

Room Tip: Request for a room with an airport view to pass some time watching the planes.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear MumbailndiTraveller,

First of all I would like to thank you for sharing such detailed feedback with us. I really appreciate your honest opinion and comments. Many thanks for your compliments and improvement points you provided to us. In our constant improvement processes and in detecting certain points that need additional attention your feedback is of greatest value to us.

With regards to your safety and security concern, I would like to inform you that the security policy is one of the strictest policies we have always obeyed by in our hotel. However I feel sorry to hear that our front office associate forgot to ask for your identity when check in. I have already shared this feedback with our front office manager to make sure every front office associate will be more careful with this situation in the future.

Furthermore in terms of your breakfast experience, I am happy to know that you were impressed by our various selections we offered. Also regarding the missing chef in the omelet station I have personally talked this feedback to our food and beverage manager and your kind suggestion has been shared with our staffs as well. Additionally with regard to the internet service and fitness center you experienced I also would like to value your honest feedback again.

I believe every one of us at Sheraton Amsterdam airport hotel and conference center is honored that you would take the time to share your detailed thoughts with us, and we surely look forward to your return visit soon.

Kurt Renold

Been to Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!