“Easy, cheap, comfortable, Just Right!” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jan Plezierweg 2, 1118 BB Schiphol, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Schiphol
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Easy, cheap, comfortable, Just Right!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2009

This place is the best thing you can find for 70 Euros. It is new, clean, efficient, right-sized. I have stayed at the Sheraton across the road for 300 Euros, and will never pay that again now that I know about the Citizen M. It is a 5 minute walk under a covered walkway, but you are still in the elements, so this is about the only downside that I can mention.
The electronic controls are a little challenging, but I figured them out and was very pleased with the lighting, heating/cooling, volume and tv. I loved the mood lighting. It made a big difference to me. The internet connection was fine for me and I was able to maintain a VPN connection to my home office.
I will definitely stay here in the future in between flights to and from Europe.

• Liked — Convenience
  • Disliked — Snack items were very expensiverelative to size/quality.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (483)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Israel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2009

Very hightech but not efficient. Room was cold, I was told to come to the lobby for half an hour because that was the time it would take to get the system to warm the room. truth is it took about an hour. All the gadgets are nice but who needs them. in the shower you first get a blast of icecold water and only then the hot water, the rainshower is lousy because you cannot direct the showerhead. There is no table to work on and no chair, only two bedside tables and an easy chair. The bed was exellent as was the WiFi. In short, the hotel is OK if you only want a place to sleep (literally). Forgot, the coffee downstairs was OK.

• Liked — The Bed
  • Disliked — No table
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
hotelexpertAmsterdam, Director of Distribution at citizenM Schiphol Airport, responded to this review, January 19, 2009
Dear "Ferquent Traveller",

I want to start of thanking you for your honest review and visit to citizenM. As you might know, we have opened our doors not that long ago and in fact, it is our first winter.
With the cold of the last couple of weeks here in the Netherlands, there have been some rooms with issues in temperature and our team is working hard to solve them.

I heard about the issue you had from the shift manager that offered you the cup of coffee while you were waiting. That day we did not have any spare rooms, as we were fully occupied, which prevented us from switching your room and reducing your waiting time to 5 minutes.

We do apologize for the inconvenience and if there is anything I can do for you, please email me at citizenlennert@citizenm.com

Hope to see you back at citizenM!

Lennert de Jong
Director of Distribution & Business Development
Stockport, UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2009

I liked the idea of this hotel and, being a certified gadget geek, I was was looking forward to my one night layover in this high-tech room. Sadly the reality failed to live up to the expectations.

Check-in was smooth and efficient. First impressions of the room were reasonably favourable despite my "runway view" being no more than an outbuilding with a few tail fins showing above it.

I knew the room would be small so that was not an issue. It did feel a bit like having a bed in the bathroom but I kinda expected that.

Thye biggest let down for me was the qiality of the (free) wireless internet. Despite a strong radio signal the routing was so intermittent as to render it useless. Websites, email, everything would time out repeatedly.

After leaving the room to sample the over-priced snack food I was unable to get back in. Help was summoned and my lock effectively needed a 'reboot' before I could get back in.

In the morning I couldn't get the main lights to switch on either through the 'mood pad' or wall control.

The shower needs careful planning if you're not going to receive a blast of cold water to kick-start your day. You can't turn it on with the door open. Despite starting it set to feed only the hand-held head, as soon as you switch to the main showerhead there is an initial flow of unheated water which is hard to avoid.

I was starting to feel trapped in failed-technology hell!

The bed is big but very firm and I didn't find it particularly comfortable, but i guess that's a very personal thing.

As has been commented on several times already, the toilet and shower facilities are completely lacking in privacy. Not an issue if you are on your own but I can't imagine wanting to be so intimately aquainted with the ablusions of even my nearest and dearest.

• Liked — Prooximity to airport. Free movies. Fast & efficient check in & out.
  • Disliked — Dodgy technology
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Iceland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2009

Spent two nights at CitizenM at Schiphol Airport during Jan of 2009. Must give the owners and staff my highest recommendation.
all aspects of the hotel is of supreme quality
the rooms are cleverly designed so they have all what you need without spending any space for nonsence
must mention the free movies application they have at the CitizenM hotel
i find it very clever of them to add this along with the free wi-fi access all over the hotel
just what a business traveller like myself needs (get in contact and be able to relax over a good movie)

again my best of thanks to all the staff at CitizenM i am eagerly waiting to be able to visit again

• Liked — Free wi-fi and free movies
  • Disliked — nothing
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2009

wonderful room, service and experience!!!
stay there if you can I wish all USA was covered with Citizen M
will be back!

• Liked — extremely friendly staff
  • Disliked — food
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Gondwanaland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2009

I stayed at CitizenM for one night in order to connect flights the following day. I must admit that not being a techie, I was a little anxious about all I had read about the hotel. However, I was pleasantly surprised with how easy all the technology was. And once I figured everything out, it was VERY easy to operate and absolutely wonderful to enjoy all the little tech extras that come with the hotel. Also, in contrast to what reviewers were saying about a staff absence at the hotel, I made a couple of runs to the lobby to get assistance and it was manned the entire time, even late at night. The only down side I can think of is the absence of a full restaurant. Although the food in the canteen is ok, it doesn't compare to freshly prepared food. Also I wish there had been some lotion, etc in the rooms. Should I find myself out that way again, I will definitely be returning to CitizenM Schipol and if other CitizenMs are like this, I might just make this my preferred hotel. Other hotel chains should take a serious lesson in how they can create a luxurious atmosphere using a minimalist approach.

• Liked — the bed and the shower
  • Disliked — no restaurant, no lotions.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
Beijing
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2009

I stayed here for one night while flying between Beijing and Johannesburg. It was easy to walk to/from the airport - only a few minutes. The check in/check out kiosk was easy to use. Fastest check-out ever.

The price was good - I think all told I paid about $100 US. Much less than at the neighbouring Sheraton.

I found the available food and drinks (sandwiches, sushi etc) sufficient for my needs. If you want a big meal, just walk a few minutes back to the airport.

The bed was extremely comfortable. I was sick with a bad cold while travelling and happy to snuggle in and drink orange juice all night, knowing I would not have far to travel to the airport in the morning.

I would not share a room with a friend unless it is a really close friend and you are desperate to save money. Best for solo travellers or people you are in a relationship with and don't mind seeing shower or use the toilet.

One suggestion: there needs to be a better desk for using a laptop in the room. The little tables were a bit awkward.

• Liked — Proximity to airport if you're on a layover, efficiency, comfortable bed, nice shampoo
  • Disliked — Rooms are small but fine for one night, needs better table for laptop use
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to citizenM Schiphol Airport? Share your experiences!