I learned of the CitizenM concept about 2 years ago during a conference where one of the founders explained how they had wanted to reinvent the concept of a hotel by creating a fun and hip place for people that travel and want an economical solution for their lodging. I can tell you that in my opinion they have succeeded.
Arriving around 23:00 I entered a buzzing lobby and was immediately greeted by a lovely staff member. She showed me how to use the self check in terminal, meanwhile projecting an air of enjoyment and fun that is rare in hotels. This behaviour is contagious and very rarely have I seen a buzzing lobby with people that don’t actually know each other. I couldn’t help but go down for a beer after I had checked out my room. The breakfast experience was the same; I was immediately greeted by the staff who drive an atmosphere that makes you want to have breakfast there. I have been putting some thought into this, and I think that as you travel a lot, a positive and engaging atmosphere really is what you need and this is what they have managed too create.
I also did have quite a bit of fun in my room. The rooms are very small, but don’t feel cramped through the smart positioning of the furniture and bathroom. Don’t know how this experience pans out with couples, as your toilet is right in the middle of your room...? I loved the bed and the view of Schiphol. Also I did have some fun with the lights, curtains, AC and television that can all be controlled by one remote. I must place a critical note with the television that I could not manage to switch off; it kept on popping on when I really wanted it off. The WIFI worked brilliantly btw – no stupid codes or vouchers, just proper WIFI...
In terms of check out, I have never had such a swift one, again through the machine, supported by a happy and engaged member of staff – excellent.
In summary I am quite impressed with this hotel. The technological innovations are cool, but it is really the staff that makes this hotel different. You don’t expect this at a five minute walk of Schiphol. I will definitely be back!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Connected to Amsterdam Airport Schiphol, this modern budget hotel offers affordable lodging with hi-tech amenities for business and leisure travel including Wi-Fi, an LCD television, and more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Despegar.com, EasyToBook, Expedia, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your citizenM Schiphol Airport reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Citizenm Hotel Amsterdam Airport Hotel Schiphol-Rijk
- CitizenM Schiphol Airport Haarlemmermeer