“Excellent hotel right at airport” 5 of 5 stars

Announcement
Become a citizen!
Ranked #1 of 6 hotels in Schiphol

2,210 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (397)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We stayed one night because the day after we were flying to Curacao. I wrote down that it was our honeymoon. I didn't expect anything because we only booked for one night but you can't blame a girl for trying. But we were suprised when we received a hand written card to congratulate us on our mariage. We received a little bowl with M&M's and 2 bags of chips with an invite to join us downstairs for 2 free cocktails to celebrate our mariage in style. I really was impressed for al the trouble for a one night stay.

This was not our first stay at citizenM we like the funky rooms with the gadgets. We will defenitly come back again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Summit, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

The shower, toilet and sink is "in" the bedroom; done tastefully and, as the title says; 'perfectly'. For under 100 Euros, you simply can't beat it. In fact if you're visiting the Netherlands for the first, second or third time, and you've never stayed at the citizenM hotel at the Amsterdam Airport, you should go out of your way to do so.

A hotel that might have been designed to operate without a reception team (check-in/check-out on the lobby computers), surprise surprise the reception team are a dream come true..NOT KIDDING, everyone LOVES their job and it shows; EXTREMELY helpful in all respects. On my next visit I'm tempted to pretend that it's my first visit just to allow them to help me check in.

Everything about the citizenM hotel Amsterdam Airport, is sleek, hip, modern, now (and tomorrow), personal, inviting and inventive. Color pallet is rich and awakening. 24/7 bar and food service is amazing. Swipe your room car to pay and the bar staff responds "Thank you Steve". Just that easy.

The room (and they are all exactly the same) is such a wonderful surprise. You will not be surprised by it's size, rather, you will be truly amazed by it's design, lighting, clean lines and creative appeal. AND, that's before you pick up the remote which actually WORKS. I don't know how many hotels I've stayed at where the remote is the equivalent of a government espionage mystery, but the citizenM hotel's remote actually works; it's simple and wonderful. Controlling the TV, RADIO, LIGHTING, WINDOW SHADES, VIDEO ON DEMAND, WAKE-UP CALL; The pre-set mood lighting changes both the brightness AND the color of the lighting! ALL of the movies are free and it's very easy to navigate in 8 languages.

The citizenM hotel is a 3 minute walk from the Schiphol airport entrance and the free airport luggage carts can be used to transport all of your luggage to the hotel's lobby.

Each guest room has one large bed that's somewhere between an American Queen and King size. The bed can accommodate two adults plus a child or two.

Can't wait for citizenM hotel to open in Times Square in NYC, my friends will be staying there, even if I have to force them !!!

Room Tip: Hint: Be careful when booking on-line. There is a citizenM hotel in Amsterdam too so be careful to c...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

If you need a trouble free overnight stay at Schipol, this is the place. Quiet, friendly and the rooms are clean and big enough. Breakfast simple continental but good enough. Very friendly and helpful staff. I'll be back!

• Stayed September 2012
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

I have just stayed in this hotel for one night and was disappointed, probably down to the fact that I did not know about the concept of this hotel.
I did like that you check yourself in on a terminal in the entrance, you even load your own key. But the room is nothing more than a tiny pod, with a shower and toilet in the middle of the room and a bed at the end. The shower and toilet have a round glass which closes around them, but it takes getting used to.
If you don't mind this very simple layout and don't need any additional comforts, this might be for you. I myself missed a few things:
- room service is not available
- no minibar either, not even a bottle of water
- no space to put down my wash bag by the sink in the middle of the room
- very limited space to hang up coat, suit etc.

There is a 24 hour snack bar downstairs, but after a long journey I just wanted to get cosy in the room and have some food and drink delivered.
The other set-back was the remote control- it controls TV, window blinds, lights and temperature in the room. However, it seems to be too much electronic involved as the remote continues to freeze up when you try to change channels or volume on the TV. Might not sound like a big deal, but when you had a rough journey it's one more of those really annoying things.
In summary, I think I am not the hotel's targeted guest, and I probably like my “old-fashioned” hotels too much. The hotel was more design than substance for me, so I won't be coming back.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Very convenient hotel, beautiful and with a great staff. Rooms possible with runway-view. Handy mood pad to apply everything you need.
Every time we fly, we stay there the night before. A covered way to the airport, takes only 5 minutes walking.
A great place to stay !!!

Room Tip: Choose this hotel, you won't regret it. All the rooms are equal.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

My friend and I stayed at the Citizen on the final night of our two week Europe tour. The hotel is very conveniently located next to the airport. There is a covered path which takes less than five minutes to walk.

On arrival, we were greeted by a staff person who assisted us in using the computer kiosk to check in and obtain our room key. Breakfast was offered at a "discount" rate with advance purchase and so we decided to add it to our reservation. As it turned out, the breakfast was very limited and not worth the money. It consisted of a small orange juice, muffin, and fruit. The lobby was modern and full of energy with plent of seating, workstations, and a nice TV monitor showing news and weather information. Staff were friendly enough but seemed overwhelmed at times.

We were surprised at the very small size of the room. It reminded me of being on a cruise ship and seems more appropriate for a solo traveler. By the time we put our luggage on the floor (there were no luggage racks or closets), there was barely any space to walk. The shower is enclosed by a circular glass door and there was an overhead "rain" device which was kind of neat. The sink is small and located just a couple feet from the bed. One must be careful or water will splash on the floor. There is no counter space at all which was frustrating. Internet is free but quite slow. We asked about this and were told that it must be a problem with our devices and not the connection itself... Really?!

This is probably more consistent with a 3-star property but I am giving it a higher overall rating given the convenience and low cost (approximately £100) for the stay. I would recommend it for solo travelers who plan on staying no more than one night, i.e. prior to a morning flight our of Schiphol.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to citizenM Schiphol Airport? Share your experiences!