“Oasis of tranquility” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Greenbank B&B

You added Greenbank B&B to your Saves list
Greenbank B&B
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Church Street, | Bowerchalke, Salisbury, Wilts, Bowerchalke SP5 5BE, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Bowerchalke B&B and Inns
Ottawa, Canada
“Oasis of tranquility”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2011

We only stayed at this B&B one night as we were en route to Cotswolds but it was an utmost delight. The hosts, Sue and Paul, were kind and gracious, the guests rooms had a private outdoor entrance. Our room was meticulously clean, the breakfast was sumptuous (please try some of Sue's home made jams, they are heavenly!). The next morning Paul showed us the surroundings. Bowerchalke is peaceful and quiet place and they have the loveliest small church we have ever come across (it is a must-see). It was built in 13th century. Adjacent to the church is a cemetary where William Golding, the author of "Lord of the flies" is buried. We also explored the neighbouring hills admiring vast expanse of the blooming rapeseed. All in all, the Bowerchalke village and the Greenbank B&B offer tranquility, charm, and a good rest.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Stamford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2011

Greenbank and Bowerchalke are a real oasis of calm in a busy world. My visit was to make the most of a one day break in a hectic work schedule. Sue and Paul are lovely hosts and my room was spotless. A combination of the bed and absolute peace gave me the best night's sleep I have had in ages. Breakfast was great and provided at a time to suit me, unlike some places I have stayed.

Across the quiet road from the house is the village church and behind this the cricket green with the most stunning view of Marleycombe Hill. I wish I could paint as I would have spent the day trying to capture the view. Unfortunately my camera could not do it justice.

I started the day by climbing Marleycombe Hill. Map in hand, I then wandered a rolling landscape full of ancient long barrows, settlements and Roman roads. At one point, sat at the side of a track, I realised that I was being watched. A large hare sat a short distance down the track, observing me and grooming himself. As I watched, a deer appeared through the hedge and gracefully crossed the track further down. I had lunch in the pub at Sixpenny Handley, I had to walk there just to say the name, 'Sixpenny Handley...'.

Making my way back I sat on the top of Marleycombe Hill, enjoying the afternoon sun and looking down on a cricket match. The perfect end to a really magical experience.

My one night and day at Bowerchalke felt like a week's holiday and has kept me smiling all the next day. I will definitely be going back.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Uitgeest, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2010

We loved this place and especially Sue and Paul, who did everything to make us feel welcome. They were very helpful and thought along with our plans.
The room was great, everything was there, drinks, cookies and even a TV. You have a lot of privacy, because the rooms are attached to the house and you can come and go as you like. There is a nice sitting room that looks out at the lovely big garden.
You can visit Bath, the Gold Hill, Salisbury, Stone Henge, but you can also walk in the New Forrest.
And last but not least breakfast was great. We were really spoiled there.
Rob and Caroline

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Devon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2010

We arrived later than planned, which thankfully was not an issue as we could not of received a warmer welcome. The room was immaculate with every possible need covered, from a midnight snack, and bottles of beer to cotton wool, and more! We also had access to a beautiful sitting room, and dinning room throughout our stay. The breakfast was really good, if not perfect. As for Paul and Sue, lovely!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Greenbank B&B? Share your experiences!