We stayed at Poets Cove for three nights for a conference recently - first time on Pender Island!
The property was beautiful, well-maintained and with amazing views. And the staff were really fantastic. From the ladies at the cafe where I got my delicious latte every morning to the servers who let me get take out from the pub the first night to the groundskeeping staff who visited at length with my curious dog, every staff member we dealt with was friendly and professional. They really made our visit.
Any complaints I have are pretty specific to our situation - we had our very elderly dog with us and my wife has some mobility issues. As others have mentioned, the property is on a pretty steep hill and the villa where we were staying was uphill from the main buildings, making the walk home a challenge. Also, when we first arrived, the folks at the front desk told us that we could "park right in front" of our villa. Actually, to get to the three front villas, you have to park behind the villas, then haul your luggage down the road 'til you get to the path for your villa. It took a lot of driving around and walking over other guests' patios before I figured this out - and our neighbours who checked in the next day experienced the same confusion. A map of the property would have been helpful!
The room was far nicer than I expected for a "dog friendly" room - really high end finishes and very comfortable furniture. We stayed in dog-friendly villa 601, which has a lovely little lawn out front and some hedges for privacy - unfortunately, the privacy hedges pretty much obscured the view, so that was a bummer. Honestly, the only drawbacks for us, aside from the steep hill, was the orientation of the room. The interior was quite dark - even with all of the blinds open on a sunny day. There were two patios off the villa but the one with the partial view and the good furniture was only accessible through the bedroom with twin beds. Because our dog is very elderly and has to go out during the night, and the master bedroom did not have patio access, we ended up sleeping on the twin beds like Ward and June Cleaver - again, not the hotel's problem, but it would have made more sense to have the patio off the master, rather than the twin bed room.
We were there for business and I have to say the wifi was EXCELLENT. Thanks to the conference, we also had a very reasonable room rate!
We didn't see much of Pender while we were there, as we had to work; if you're into hiking or water sports, then there were plenty of things to do on or near the property but without a car, getting to a grocery store or book shop from the Cove would have been a challenge.
My super-fit, kayak-loving parents would probably really dig this place and I'd definitely recommend it to them or anyone looking for a nice, quiet getaway!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Poets Cove Resort & Spa is the Gulf Islands' premier luxury resort. Tucked away in Bedwell Harbour on Pender Island, there is a luxurious combination of 22 Lodge Rooms, 9 Villas and 15 Cottages. We offer a full-service 110-slip deep-moorage marina and a Canadian point of entry customs office for CanPass users. Our stunning Aurora Restaurant and casual Syrens Lounge serves the best local fresh ingredients and our activities range from exciting kayaking adventures to rejuvenating spa treatments in our award winning 'Susurrus' Spa. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, Booking.com, Despegar.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Poets Cove Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Poets Cove Resort And Spa
- Poets Cove Hotel Pender Island
- Poets Cove Pender Island