“Loved this beautiful place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of April Point Resort & Spa

You added April Point Resort & Spa to your Saves list
April Point Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   900 April Point Rd, Quathiaski Cove, British Columbia V0P 1N0, Canada   |
Special Offer
Thrill & Chill Package
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Quathiaski Cove
“Loved this beautiful place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2009

This resort saved our trip. We were booked at another motel near the ferry docking and it just wasn't the island setting I had imagined. I called April Point and got one of their last rooms at an excellent rate. We ended staying an extra night to make 4 nights. It is not in Campbell River but on Quadra Island, a 10 minutes ferry ride. We had our car and drove all around. Make sure to visit Rebecca Spit Provincial park. The kids loved the rocky beach and rolling the big logs in the water and playing with them. There were lots of people enjoying this park. We also drove north and swam in a fresh water lake that was refreshing and simply breathtaking in the scenery. The great staff at April point directed us and were great hosts.
The accomodation is not high end luxery, but it is very clean, comfortable and offers great views. The food at both April Point and Painter's lodge (it's owned by the same company and you can access by a 10 minute boat ride that leaves every 30 minutes) was great. We saw a pod of killer whales come up the discovery strait while eating dinner at Painter's Lodge. We saw seals and bald eages at April Point. I can't think of a bad thing to say. Very small kids might not have a lot to do, but ours were 8 and 11 and loved it.
My husband went fishing which is very popular and loved the experience.
I would stay here again in a second if I was every lucky enough to come back to this incredible part of Canada.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
North of England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2009

Coming from UK - still a bit jet-lagged and needing to get away from work stresses this place was perfect.
We stayed for two days and didn't go fishing ... and that's all there was to do apart from the spa which we didn't fancy so we did nothing - absolutely nothing - and it was fab.
Having said that our 'nothing' was based on a bit of exploring by car - do take one - we found an almost deserted beach on Rebecca Spit and whiled an afternoon strolling, exploring the washed-up creatures and driftwood and dipping in the waters.
If you get the chance - go.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
victoria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2009

the april point tesort is absolutely amazing. We stayed in their cabins right on the ocean. The accommodations were excellent with all ameneties. The staff were excellent from the first time you step onto the dock;during checking in and out until you leave the dock to return to Painters Lodge. The food was excellent along with the service. The waiters and waitresses were very freindly and accommodating and made our dining a real pleasurable experience. All in all i did not find anything bad to say about the whole experience at April Point and would recommend it to all my friends and would return in the future.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2009

The room was brand new, had beautiful views and great marble bathrooms. I noticed that a couple of the rooms they rent have full size hot tubs on the decks but we didn't get one of those. Apparently you can also rent houses (up to four bedrooms) which we might do with friends next year if we can.
April Point is just across the water from Painter's Lodge, and they offer a free water taxi so you can use both resorts, which is a nice option. We took out the kayaks and saw seals, and other wildlife. I went to the spa - you can sit outside on the deck looking at the water while getting your pedicure! The food was good - again, we sat on the deck over the water and watched the boats, eagles and seals go by - Will definitely be back!
W. Henning

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2009

Stayed here for 2 nights total for our honeymoon, the night before a 5 day kayak trip, and the night we returned from the kayak trip. Overall, we were very happy with this 'resort.'

Our room the first night was a little disappointing. Clean, comfortable, and perfectly adequate, but certainly a little 'rustic.' We struggled to find it worth the price they charge. We ate dinner in the restaurant, and were very pleased. Sitting outside on the deck, watching the local wildlife, eating good food, drinking some wine... it was a nice evening. The staff was very busy with a wedding inside the restaurant, but we never felt ignored.

We were much more pleased with the room on our 2nd night. Our first night there, I had inquired about the cost of the newer-looking rooms (but did not ask for an upgrade). Upon our return, the employee I spoke to had made sure to book us in the nicer room (normally more expensive, she upgraded at no cost). These newer, cabin-style rooms are MUCH nicer. Great views as well.

As with much of Canada, the best part of this place may have been the staff. Everyone was friendly, welcoming, and helpful. One employee in particular stands out as amazing - I wish I could remember her name. Not only was she the one who upgraded our room, but upon returning from our kayaking trip (with VERY smelly clothes), she helped us again. We asked where we could wash our clothes, and she insisted on taking the clothes and washing them for us. We returned from dinner to find them neatly folded in a laundry basket in our room. (yes, she got a nice tip)

We are not into fishing, but most of the guests at this place obviously are. I imagine anyone into fishing would find it to be near-heaven here. Even so, we would definitely consider returning here.

• Stayed August 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Warm Beach, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2008

I have stayed here numerous times.

You go to April Point to FISH. If you're not fishing, there are better places to stay on Quadra Island..Heriot Bay comes to mind.

When fishing is good, April Point is terrific. ASK FOR A GUIDE WITH AT LEAST FIVE YEARS EXPERIENCE. Let the rookies learn on some else's dime.

People are up and on the water early. Boats are constantly reving their engines - early.

If you don't fish, a stack of good books and an automobile with which to explore is probably a better option than the "Spa". There is a nice Museum at Cape Mudge - at the Indian Village.

The Heriot Bay Inn has some attractions: a restaurant and a PUB. The BC Ferry at Heriot Bay will take you to Cortez Island.

Cab service in Campbell River is good. Walk on the boat and go to town.

If you fish, get a guide who will ROW for TYEE. This is a classic, world famous fishery. Late August to early September.

At the Point, find the fresh fish on the menu. Dungeness Crab. Salmon. Prawns. Salmon. Focus on fresh, with minimal guck AND NO FUSSY PREPARATIONS. You want the real thing.

• Liked — The restaurant, bar and adjoing deck
  • Disliked — If you don't fish, or enjoy reading, you will have to work at finding something to do.
  • Stayed September 2003, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2008

I would really love to say april point resort did not disappoint at all but i can't. Let me start though by saying that the fishing excursion we went to april point for was AWESOME!!! This was my first time doing anything like this and to other women out there unsure if they would enjoy let me encourage you to give it a go. Our guide Dean took us out in the boat at 7am. We sped away from the resort at what felt like top speed, both my husband and I trying desperately to hold our clothes, hat, hair in place. We soon realized we just had to go with it and let loose as we flew over the water for the next hour or so. On the way out to open water we passed harbour seals frolicking in the water and once we reached our destination our guide thru some of the fish bait up in the air to encourage a nearby bald eagle to swoop in near the boat to get his breakfast. WOW! I can't rave enouph about the wildlife. I did catch a salmon in the first 2 minutes i had my line in the water but unfortunately it had to be thrown back as it had not been clipped (didn't get a lot of details but the BC govt is working to restock the water with native salmon so when they release the fish some are marked and some aren't. Those that aren't need to be released after being caught) What that means for us tourists is that even if you catch the big one you may have to part with it.... much to my chagrin:( I had two more bites but lost both of those. After a couple hours without a catch we had to go back but our excitement wasn't over. We caught a glimpse of a couple of porpoise dolphins and .... this was my highlight...DOLPHINS.
The dolphins swam along side the boat, leaping out of the water. It was truly AMAZING!!... I am even feeling the adrenaline from the experience surface as I write this. I will tell you what I told Dean. I am HOOKED!!haha.

So keeping in mind what a great experience we had with that, you can understand why i had difficulty rating April lodge at a 3/5. Here is why i did.

The Room

Very Basic. I expected it to be basic but it was a little more rustic than I was wanting. No screens in the windowns so for those of you who like fresh air at night just be forewarned you open the windows at your own risk. We did and ended up having some pesky little mosquitos to deal with.

Also, the bed was one step up from sleeping on a wood board. We were glad to have to get up at 6 am that first morning just becasue the bed was sooo... bad.

The upside is they do supply quite nice products in the bathroom.Also, I am not sure if they do this for atmosphere or what but the water smelt just like fish. Very Weird... I know. I didn't care that much but some are more sensitive to smells than others so i mention it as a heads up.
There is a TV for those who like to doze in front of it as they fall asleep.

It also seemed that the spa nickled and dimed a little. We mistakenly asked for a relaxation massage instead of a theraputic as the latter was quite a bit more expensive(unusual from what I have seen fromother spas). I say mistakenly because the woman that gave me my massage (I am sorry i can't remember her name) applied almost no pressure,just a light skimming over the skin. When she asked how the pressure was I reponded she could go a little bit deeper. She agreed but NOTHING was changed in what she was doing. I tried to relax about it but it got ridiculous when I realized she was sqeezing the tips of my long hair. I can't even feel the tips of my hair so I don't really understand what she was doing. All in all a disappointment.

Finally, when we asked how long it was to walk to town we were told 40 minutes. We decided to walk in for our last morning on the island to get breakfast. The staff recommended a place to go. Now, it was a Sunday morning so we didn't question it being open but after the long walk we arrived to a closed sign. ARGH! Thank goodness there was a cafe called the AROMA CAFE that we had passed on the way there that was open and may I add had a variation of 3 different types of egg benny. We had the smoked salmon and it was delicious. So my only concern here was staff sending people out, especially when they were on foot, to a closed restaurant. I would expect it being such a small Island that staff would know this place was closed just through experience or even a reference binder most hotels keep on hand for restaurants/ attractions in the area.

So, I come to the end of my review. Hope it helps in deciding if this is the place for you. If you are unsure i would say put up with the annoyances and go for it. The nature and fishing experience is all I plan on remembering anyway!!!

Finally,

Stayed September 2008

Been to April Point Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!