“One of our favourite Restaurants” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 65 Restaurants in Picton
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations
Picton, Canada
“One of our favourite Restaurants”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

My wife and I have enjoyed many fine dinners in this cosy, tastefully appointed restaurant located in the Merrill Inn, Picton, Ontario. The service, starting with the initial greeting by Edward, the owner/operator and his staff (our favourite server is Susan who is always cheerful and efficient) is excellent.

Chef Michael Sullivan consistently prepares first class cuisine so whatever one chooses, one will not be disappointed. As a starter, we suggest gnocchi's which are delicious and simply melt in one's mouth, my wife and I usually share this dish to ensure we have lots of room left for our entrees.

On our most recent visit we invited three of our friends to join us, needless to say, dinner at the Merrill Inn was a huge success and thoroughly enjoyed and appreciated by all.

Ottawa, Canada
“Pretty dining room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Loved the cheese plate but I was pretty full after just the appetizer and mail course. Tables are perhaps a bit too close for comfort. Great service!

Visited June 2013
Kingston, Canada
“Twelve out of five...no joke”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Once in a very long while an entire dining experience makes me grin, sit back and wish it would never stop. We happened upon the Merrill by word of mouth from a local B&B and will be back as long as Michael Sullivan chooses to cook for us. From appetizer to dessert I wondered which eleven people put this together until I realized it's just him and enough staff to occupy 250 square feet of kitchen. Owner greeted us at the door and wait staff had that intangible knack for being attentive without being intrusive or overly "present" at our table. Scallops, shrimp and calamari like velvet. Duck and beef tenderloin so perfectly done I will never pretend to cook them again for myself. The saucier? ... can have my hand in marriage except there isn't one at the Merrill. That's the kind of talent this is.

Picton, Ontario
“We love the Merrill Inn and so do our guests!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

As an owner of a local Bed & Breakfast I always try and make sure my guests choose a dining experience that suits their needs and tastes. However this past weekend my recommendations were put to the test! Our B&B, AWAY in the County was honoured to be selected as a wedding gift for a couple on their honeymoon. It was also their 1st B&B experience. We really wanted everything to be perfect for them, right down to the dining experience on the Saturday night. After speaking with them I suugested a few places and even discussed with them the chefs and the various menus of the evening. They choose the Merrill Inn and they were not disappointed. The next morning they thanked me profusely for referring them to such a wonderful restaurant. Everything was exceptional from the appetizers to the dessert, They also mentioned the wonderful service. Hats off to Chef Sullivan for his culinary talents and to Edward, owner of the Merrill Inn who quickly responded to my phone call and took such wonderful care of our clients. Thanks for making us look so good too!
Susan & Glen Wallis, AWAY Bed & Breakfast

P.S. I should also mention that we have dined ourselves at the Merrill Inn and found the dinner to be top notch. Needless to say we will be back!

Ottawa, Canada
“Fabulous food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Of the hundreds of restaurants we have eaten at over the years, including Canada, USA & Europe, the Merrill Inn would have to rate very near the top. My wife & I had a three course meal package. The appetizers of Calamari & Gnocchi were both fantastic & the choices of others was too tempting. The main courses were Veal Scallopini & Filet Mignon prepared in a classic fashion but with the chef's own particular twist. Desserts were a chocolate creme brule & an assembly of three mini-desserts. Both the wine & coffee were superb.

It is rare to find all parts of a dinner at the upper rung & combined with impeccable service from "Tommy", it was a meal to remember. Qudos to the chef for sure. I will tell as many friends as I can not to miss out on the Merrill Inn restaurant. While the dining room is small (only about 20 people) it is attractive & the view out the windows is quite pretty. Reservations would be a must.