“Good food, nice guest rooms, in a great location” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 65 Restaurants in Picton
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Toronto, Canada
“Good food, nice guest rooms, in a great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

I have dined here 9 times in the last 3 years (breakfast-lunch-dinner), and I have never had a bad meal or an overpriced one. The setting is lovely and immaculately maintained, and the location -- smack in the centre of Prince Edward's vineyards and wineries -- makes it a "must-stay" place for folks heading to the County for a wine tour week or weekend.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Ajax
“Great evening”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

My husband recently retired from teaching, and we decided to just "take off" to Picton on Monday, Sept. 17. We ended up at the Waring HOuse restaurant after reviewing the menu on his iphone and setting up a reservation. Our server, Ann, was attentive and knowledgeable, and she always had a smile for our multiple requests. The food was excellent too.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Picton, Canada
“not worth the money... it was poor”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

my friends and I went out for my birthday on Sat. night. Dinner and some entertainment. The entertainment was great, the food not so good...in fact, it was poor. we have been to the Pub several times before and have always enjoyed the meal. I ordered the Pasta Special from the chalkboard and it was bland, not hot, and not worth the 13.95. my wife order a Pub pie, the meat was dry(tasted a little like liver) there was very little gravy. my friends ordered the steak sandwich from the menu. asked for med.-rare and got well done and it was tough. another friend ordered the chicken wrap, said it tasted good but once she got home experienced an upset stomach for the rest of the evening, through until morning. the time has come for a new head chef or all new kitchen staff, not a stellar performance by any standard.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“The perfect venue for my Wedding Day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

My now husband and I chose the Waring House for our September 2nd Wedding, and with the expert guidance of Henriette Labelle-Campbell, we had a beautiful day that went off without a hitch. The Waring House had everything we wanted: guest accommodations, a chef onsite, a reception hall, and a beautiful garden where we had our ceremony by the gazebo, and where our guests could later mingle outdoors with cocktails and hors d'oeuvres. We loved the garden and grounds so much that we had all our photos taken there as well.
For our reception we chose the buffet which had something to suit everyone's taste. The food was exceptional and the desserts were absolutely amazing. The staff did a great job setting things up exactly the way we asked and keeping the evening running smoothly.
After the Wedding our guests had only good things to say about their stay at the Waring House. Many of them had booked two nights so they could explore Picton, Sandbanks and the surrounding wineries.
We would highly recommend the Waring House as the perfect venue for a beautiful Wedding.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“What happened?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012 via mobile

As long time visitors to Prince Edward County, one of the things we always look forward to is returning to the Barley Room Pub at the Waring House Inn. The food has always been exceptional, and not your standard pub fare - it has always been turned up that extra notch that pushes it into the realm of a true culinary experience. My long standing favorite has always been the succulent ribs like no other. Imagine our disappointment when we sat down tonight to discover a totally changed menu, stripped down to the very basics of non-imaginative hum-drum pub fare that one could find anywhere. I didn't have to leave Ottawa to find this - well, maybe I did have to, as I can't think of a place in Ottawa with a menu quite this dull. It says somewhere on the menu (or on a sign, perhaps - I was somewhat distracted from shock) that the pub aspires to the tradition of a true English pub. Well, it hits the mark on the stereotype of an English pub maybe, where everything is boiled and cooked either too little or too much. We should have simply left and gone elsewhere,once we saw the menu, but we thought that even if the menu had changed for the worse, the food couldn't be that bad. Wrong. Being hungry, we decided to go ahead and order. I went for the Cow Pie (should have known better, I know) and my wife for the 'Mexican' hamburger. Ok. The pie shell that the 'braised' beef was in must have been store-bought and frozen. It was thoroughly soggy, suggesting liberal use of a microwave oven to reheat prior to serving. The beef was perhaps braised in the local beer, or perhaps blended with it - not really sure. It came with mashed potato and vegetables. The potato was unevenly cooked and lumpy with hard bits in it -totally unedible. The veggies were not steamed as one might hope, but blanched. The overall taste was bland, as if the chef had never been acquainted with the concept of seasoning. The burger now - the meat patty was shriveled and appeared to have been cooked twice - most likely microwaved the second time around. There was nothing 'Mexican' about the so-called salsa topping it (again, the chef appeared to have missed the point regarding seasoning), and the bun was a pasty mess that was obviously a grocery store hamburger bun that was frozen and barely rethawed prior to serving.
We were so thoroughly disappointed in what used to be an amazing place to eat. There is simply no reason to even consider going back. The best thing about the meal was that we had not invited anyone to join us, as we were saved that particular embarrassment. This marks a sad day in the county.