“Amazing fish and Chips” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Fish & Chips
Ottawa, Canada
“Amazing fish and Chips”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

I travel to Picton at least once per year, and am always sure to stop here. This place has the best fish and chips I've tried in Eastern Canada, and I've tried quite a few. I usually get the Halibut and chips, but last time I had the Haddock and I think it was even better... will get that from now on.

This appears to be a family run establishment - the same person was cooking the fish as was there 3 years ago when we first visited. No doubt they've been doing it even longer than that. The table service is highly variable depending on who's working and how long they've been working - we've had fantastically attentive service twice, and the opposite of that two other times. If it's busy, you may have to wave someone down to be seated, and you pay at the cash - it's that type of casual place.

Needless to say, you don't come here for the service, but for the fantastic fish and chips. The batter is very light and crispy - almost melt in your mouth. The fish has always been very fresh and perfectly cooked - very moist. Fries to me are just old-fashioned style fries, but some of my friends have raved about them. They also make a very good "clam chowder", which is more of a seafood chowder - loaded with clumps of different kind of fish in addition to the clams.

I've tried many of the fine dining restaurants in PEC, yet this is the place I most look forward to visiting when I return the county.

• Visited August 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Laval, Canada
“overpriced , greasy , and batter not that good either , service stinks”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2011

went in about 2 weeks ago , owner practically didn<t even acknowledge me after i said hello , how are you.Also waitress was horibble , no smiles at all , I also have a daughter of 7.I had to run after her to ask her for dessert , after bringing me a dessert she just left and dissappeared, no where to be found , didnt even ask my wife or daughter for coffee, or dessert .I had to go to cash to pay when i was gone and once again no emotions whatsoever with owner... Downright rude.I went last year thinking service would be better this year and it was worst , I will not be going next time around for sure.... and would not recommend them either.

• Visited June 2011