“Wonderful experience for our first trip to the County” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Claramount Inn & Spa

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Picton
Claramount Inn & Spa
You added Claramount Inn & Spa to your Saves list
97 Bridge St, Picton, Ontario K0K 2T0, Canada   |
Ranked #25 of 44 Picton B&B and Inns
Nepean
“Wonderful experience for our first trip to the County”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2010

We booked the Countylicious package for 2 nights, 2 dinners and 2 breakfasts...1st dinner at Claramount and second at Waring House...
Suite 2 on the main floor was beautiful. Reading other reviews, I knew that we would hear the people upstairs so we expected it and didn't find it a problem (nothing more than footsteps really). The room is spacious, the bathroom has a luxurious soaker tub which we enjoyed. The grounds are large and a beautiful walk down to the water. Dinner was spectacular...the food was such high quality, delicious and the service by Candace just added to the whole experience. I loved that the emphasis was on quality and not quantity (large eaters may find it too little) and the dining room is small and comfortable...Second dinner was at Waring house and we weren't very impressed by that...the emphasis seemed to be on jamming as many into the large dining room as possible, the waiters/waitresses were run off their feet and not able to provide the level of service you would expect....not a friendly, enjoyable experience at all...

The breakfasts at Claramount were stunning and this was their first weekend with a new menu...very high quality and unique offerings...

The Spa was nice, and we enjoyed a massage (and I also had a pedicure that was great)...

The only thing I noticed that surprised me a bit was how the exterior of the house and guest house needed some major cleaning and in some cases painting etc...would have expected such a high end inn to look as well maintained on the outside as the inside...Not that it detracted from our experience, just something we noticed...

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Burlington, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2010

I was whisked away for a surprise getaway weekend with my boyfriend and was overwhelmed when we pulled up to the Claramount. Couldn't wait to book time in the spa and use the hot tub. Was thrilled to climb the private staircase to our Suite #5.
Unfortunately when we got in there the room was noisy and vibrating. So much so, the shades in the light fixtures in the bathroom were shaking. Turns out the kitchen fan is just below that room and the only response I got when I asked the front desk about it was that "it is much better than it used to be" The room was beautiful, the bathroom was huge but there was no relaxing in the soaker tub as the floor was vibrating from the fan and with the noise and the lights shaking nothing was going to drown it out.
My massage at the spa was great, the food in the dining room was very good and just enough but probably not suitable for big appetites.
LIked the location and the view but would never go back to the same room again and would be very tentative about booking lower floor rooms as it is a very old house and sounds do travel. We could hear the kitchen and dining room below us, as well as footsteps from people in the room above us.
We expected a lot more for the price.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2010

My husband and I visited Prince Edward County in 2006 and stayed for three days at the Claramount Inn. It was delightful - the rooms were bright yellow and white, the service was excellent, and the food prepared to a very high standard. We were enchanted. We stayed in the upper room of the carriage house and especially enjoyed the big soaker tub in the bathroom after a long bike ride.

It is this standard that we expected to find on our most recent visit to the Claramount last week and we were unfortunately disappointed. It wasn't awful but it was clearly operating at a lower level than what we experienced in 2006.

The room was comfortable and clean but the tub that we were looking forward to soaking our tired legs in had begun to leak and there was a brown stain around the base. The plug was broken and although we asked to have it repaired, it hadn't been by the time we left (5 days).

Breakfast was included in the room rate and we ate there every day. Again, it wasn't awful but it was not nearly as good as the breakfasts that we had had on our earlier visits. In general, it seemed that the food was oily. The daily omelet was the best option on the menu and given the quality of the breakfasts and the number of other options in the area, we didn't try them for dinner. Servers appeared inexperienced and the hours were not convenient for early risers. (8:30 to 10:30)

The wireless Internet service was generally down or did not reach the carriage house which is increasingly a problem for travellers, not because visitors are checking their e-mail but because many people get their travel information from the Internet and plan their trips using the tools that the Internet provides. It is an expected service and one that every hotel should provide.

The Inn is very impressive with a lovely verandah, high ceilings, and deep baseboards, as befits a house built in the 1800's. In 2006, there was not a speck of dust anywhere and everything was bright, clean, and fresh. On this trip, it appears as if the baseboards haven't been dusted since we were last there and the spiders have taken up residence in the entry windows and on the verandah railings. Brown spots have begun to show through the paint on the window casings and baseboards.

We would recommend the Claramount to others in the hope that it will return to its former glory but today it feels like a grand dame fallen on hard times.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Beckwith
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2010

Good
- Our room was quite large and very nicely furnished/decorated.
- The spa services are great!
- The staff were extremely friendly and accommodating.

Bad
- The hot tub and pool were both grungy and smelt the worse than any pool we've ever been in. It was gross.
- The food was hit and miss. Some things were utterly exquisite, some mediocre (nothing special) or poor (e.g. unripened rock hard fruit). We've had much more consistently good food at other inns.
- The dining room was very small, not busy and staff perform non-waiting chores like folding stacks of napkins on a nearby table while you are eating.
- When booking we were directed to take a package that included a "Tasting Menu Dinner", despite making it very clear that neither of us drink, and were assured that wasn't a problem and we could get whatever we wanted for dinner. When we arrived we were TOLD what we were going to be eating without ever seeing any menu. Choice apparently isn't part of this fine dining experience.
- When booking we specifically asked and were told that gratuities were NOT automatically added. In examining our bill after getting home, there is a 'Package Gratuity" charge on there in addition to the gratuities we added to each transaction. Making this crystal clear when booking or on their web-site is not being done for some reason.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2010

First off, I think the Claramount can use the services of a professional photographer when it comes to its rooms. They are much nicer in reality!
You feel you are stepping back in time.
Rooms are all nice, well decorated and clean. we were the first to arrive on our wknd getaway so I had a chance to check out all the other rooms (doors were open). So regardless of room in the main building, you won't be disappointed.
Food was amazing (breakfast and dinner). The wine selection was nice. The restaurant offers the right atmosphere for dinner setting and is packed with sunshine the next morning for breakfast. The Chef is amazing!
The Spa was very nice. I got a pedicure and it was the best pedicure I have had by far although I regularly get pedicures during my various trips, etc.
The pool is also very nice. I am usually picky with pools but this salt water pool was what we needed to unwind after a long walk and before dinner.
If you're looking to go somewhere and get away from it all, I highly recommend this place.
The drive also is not too long.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2010

The best thing I can say about my stay at the Claramount Inn & Spa is that it was really very lovely and relaxing! It was so quaint!!! It is a very pretty traditional style place. We went for one night only.

We stayed at the Claramount Cottage - and yes - I would recommend it (not like some of the other reviews that I saw before going - and I was worried until I saw it - lovely). It was clean and pleasant. It was a cute little house with a full sized fridge, washer and drier, stove, cutlery etc., 2-bedroom and a nice size. I enjoyed the little balcony. It is directly across the street from the main house. Really nice and really comfortable.

The Inn was clean, very pleasant - I LOVED the food in the lovely restaurant!!!!!

Everyone at the Claramount and in the town was so friendly and proud. The town is cute and we purchased a couple of small items from the stores. The bookstore was great - they have new books and a small used section with collectibles. I bought a beautiful leather bound book from the 1906.

The spa was nice. They have an in ground pool that is salt water (with chlorine too). I enjoyed it. It was warm.

Overall, the price was good for the comfortable accommodations and really delicious meals. I really like the traditional and quaint atmosphere. I really relaxed and my friends were happy too.

I am going back in 2 weeks with other friends - hope they really enjoy it too! :-)

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Toronto, ON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2009

Don't be fooled by the website photos - despite the old-lady furniture, this inn is a perfect mix of relaxing country and modern elegance. We stayed in Room 6, which is HUGE! The bathroom is wonderfully updated (hello towel warmer and soaker tub!) and it's very quiet.

Dinner was delicious. We came for the Countylicious package, and we were both impressed with the quality of the food and service (thanks for the great wine suggestions, Erin).

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Claramount Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!