“Noisy-paper thin walls-No one to call!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Waring House

Save Saved
You added Waring House to your Saves list
Waring House
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   395 Sandy Hook Road, RR 8, Picton, Ontario K0K 2T0, Canada   |
Ranked #2 of 5 hotels in Picton
Toronto, Canada
“Noisy-paper thin walls-No one to call!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

My wife and I were guests at the Waring House this past Friday and Saturday (Aug 24/25). This was our first visit to the Waring House. We were very pleased when we arrived and were happy with the room assignment (111) facing the tranquil farmland. This is exactly what we were looking for. Unfortunately our Saturday evening turned out to be one of the worst nights ever!

I believe there was a large wedding party and unfortunately many of the guests were in the rooms all around ours. We quickly learned that the walls are paper thin and you can hear everything and anything going on. The real noise did not begin until about 12:00 and continued well past 3:00am.

We called '0' (as suggested in the Inn's services book) numerous times for assistance with this problem throughout the evening (trying to avoid a direct confrontation with the noisy guests), but there was no reply. I would have thought there would be some kind of security person on hand especially on an evening when you may have many potentially intoxicated guests.
I finally did go out into the hall a couple of times and asked these guests to please keep it down, but this was futile.

My wife and I are regulars at other inns and hotels and we have been at those hotels during numerous wedding weekends and I can tell you we never experienced anything like this.

The Waring House -in many ways- seems like a 4-star inn, but it really falls short in several areas. We were also disappointed with the shower. The temperature was changing from warm to cold-to-scalding hot. I think this is easily remedied with a temperature regulator (found in any Motel 6). Also cutting corners using single-ply toilet tissue is not in line with some of the nicer amenities that they do provide.

Most disappointing though is the lack of response from management (the innkeepers).

I had complained the morning of checkout as well as wrote an email with the above details. I received the same response as I did during that horrible evening. None.

(Of course we can expect to see a response in this forum ;-)

Room Tip: Ask front desk if they are expecting any large parties and do I have to worry if they are booked int...

198 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Orleans, ON
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

I would start by heartily endorsing the lovely rooms in the new buildings on the property. We had already been warned by regular guests that the older, original rooms were in poor shape and not very appealing. We had a lovely view of the cornfields and woods behind from the comfort of the Muskoka chairs on the private balcony off our room. The good news ended there. Our first evening of a two night package stay was pleasant enough with a decent meal in Amelia's Garden restaurant with a wine tasting, four course meal. A few down notes: The lamb chop flavour melded into the filet and dominated the plate, the veggies in the risotto were more than just crisp, and the dessert selection was limited by the kitchen being short on one of the six desserts offered, plus the only dessert with chocolate had peanut butter. Breakfast the next morning, from a food point was acceptable but the service was appalling. The waitress wasn't just inattentive, she was nice and polite, but only could do one single task at a time, which meant each table waited a long time to get even a coffee refill and I had to ask for sugar on the table, as well as cutlery. The food was dominated by carb laden options with only one egg & meat option. Lunch at the pub was passable and our waitress, Sharon, was very attentive and obviously experienced. Dinner in the pub later that evening, was awful, The menu, under the new chef, has become a deep fried disaster. The dip for my husband's fish & chips came in a cheap black plastic dipping container with a plastic lid. At a restaurant/pub like this at these rates and they can't afford the little ceramic dipping bowls? Plus a carefully measured tablespoon of dip is a laugh. Same at breakfast this morning in the fancy dining room with the little black plastic containers?! It got worse. They lost our order. After nearly an hour we inquired about our salads, which after the prompting, arrived ten minutes later. The kitchen closed at nine (we had arrived at eight), when our mains arrived. I noticed immediately that the bowl containing my mussels was cold, but the butter plate was hot. So was my husband's plate. I forged ahead, but quickly realized that the county cider cream for my mussels was lukewarm. Quite hungry at this point I was willing to over look it and dug in to free the mussels of their shells so I could scoop them up with the sauce. one third of the mussels hadn't opened - bad news. I finally was able to summon the waitress. She offered me another meal. It's 9:15. My husband is nearly finished his meal and I would face another 15-20 minute wait. I passed on the offer and she removed the bad mussels. Breakfast the next morning was a nightmare. Only two staff on in a restaurant that was packed to the doors. No front of house manager - never came in. Guests start getting their own butter, or juice or napkins, or whatever was missing or not on the table. The two waitresses were overwhelmed and support arrived in the form of a bus girl who hadn't a clue about waiting on tables. It took 20 minutes to get a menu, and ten more for a coffee. I had to really work to get the waitresses attention just to get our order in. Total time for breakfast 1 hour 20 minutes and we ordered the chef's special which was a casserole dish. Many diners complained to the staff who were in the adjacent pub preparing for lunch service. We learned there was a new chef which may explain the deep fried food (in a restaurant touted for its cooking school and culinary skills!!!), and cutbacks to staff. Well Waring House management I think you reaped your just rewards on that decision because most of the people who did not enjoy their experience as a result of these decisions will be certain to share the bad news. At at cost of nearly $1,000 for a two night package deal I expected a five star experience not a two star experience, and self serve for breakfast just doesn't cut it. Unlikely to EVER return.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the older rooms or buildings
Norah R, Owner at Waring House, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
So sorry you did not have a good experience during your recent visit to the Waring House. I will provide a couple of explanations—not excuses—which have resulted in some changes to the better. We have had some problems at breakfast because of understaffing. Mangers and staff have been alerted to set staffing levels at a more appropriate level and to call for additional assistance if volume is especially heavy.
I was disturbed to hear that your order was lost. We’ve been having some trouble with the printer in our kitchen. The problem is being rectified: a new printer is on the way.
I can understand that you don’t care for the black plastic dipping sauce containers. To be truthful, I prefer the ceramic containers as well, but for hygienic reasons (we like to keep our sauces covered and sealed) we’ve found that these better suit our needs. I’m sure you noticed the quality of our other dinner ware, so you can see that we strive to present our food in an attractive manner, but in this instance, we’ve made a concession to practicality.
Your comments are being shared with our team of chefs and managers. We’re determined to use all of our customer feedback to try to improve our customers’ experiences.
Again, we deeply regret that you found your stay with us unsatisfactory. If you’d like to contact me about any further outstanding issues, feel free to email me at comments@waringhouse.com and my staff will make sure the message comes to my attention.

Norah Rogers
Innkeeper
The Waring House
Golden Lake, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

The Waring House Inn was a lovely stop for four middle-aged women on a wine and theatre tour in Prince Edward County. Rooms in the House Next Door are clean, the beds are comfortable and the cosy-country decor appropriate for the area. The inn is close to many area attractions including wineries and theare in a tent; the dining room and pub have good- enough food and the prices are all moderate. The grounds are charming; the staff is pleasant. Expecting pools, no audible traffic, brand-new rooms and such is just silly. The Waring House is a pleasant country Inn not a chain hotel with a pool in the basement.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Rockwood, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

We stayed in one of the newer rooms in the separate buildings, which was great including one of the cleanest and largest bathrooms I have ever seen in a hotel, with separate shower and tub.
The bed was very comfortable and clean and there was a fridge and fireplace which were also nice features.
We dined at the restaurant one evening (not the pub) and the food was superb and great value for quality of ingredients and taste experience. The dessert was unbelievable ... They have a coconut cream pie that is out of this world! The dining room itself could use updating as it seemed outdated, but that did not matter because the food was wonderful.
We wanted to try the cooking class but we missed it however I was able to treat myself for a mani and pedi at the spa which was perfect!
I was referred to this hotel by a colleague and I am glad I followed through on it as the reviews did not pop out to me online but it is a great stay.

Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

This was our third stay at the Waring House. This time we were in the House Next Door. It is more rustic compared to the newer Quaker Cottage. Be advised that if you want to book a room in the House next door that not all rooms have a shower, some only have a soaker tub. The newer buildings are more "Hotel-like".
Breakfast was included and it did not disappoint. The pub is a great place to eat, have a drink or two, and meet people. Seems to be equally populated with tourists and locals. The service is excellent!
The location is good because it is close to Picton without being right in town. The traffic on Main Street can get very busy in the summer. It is also a good location to go touring around wine country.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

We stayed here, in the "House Next Door" for two nights for a wedding in July. There were certainly pros and cons about this place!

Pros:
-the gardens were beautiful
-the beds were comfortable
-the grounds were well kept
- the venue was very nice for a wedding
-the food was always good, including at the wedding!
- our room was pretty quiet

Cons
- this was not a family friendly place to stay, they do not have cribs/playpens for children to sleep in, there was no children's menu and for breakfast I felt as though it was a problem that we had a toddler with us and wanted him to eat breakfast too.
-the rooms were not that clean and were dated
-the deck really needed to be painted/cleaned
-service was inconsistent
-There was no door, just a curtain for the closet, and no door at all to the bathtub and sink area
-our room only had a tub and no stand up shower
-very close to a rotary and traffic
-a pool would be a nice addition

I probably wouldn't stay here again, or if I did, I would try the newer rooms.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Cambridge
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

Room and suites are in annexes situated in the grounds, Lovely spacious suite with two tv's, huge bath and bath goodies were renewed daily, patio outside each room with loungers, British style pub, food good and breakfast very substantial, believe they have just got a new Chef who is british. Staff very friendly and helpful. Sundays there is a cookery school, but did not have enough time to try out, seems to have got a good name locally. Beauty spa - which I did use was well priced and staff were very professional. There was a wedding while we were there, but it did not disturb our nights sleep. Good spot to use as a base, some lovely places to visit - as well as Wineries!
Only thing to moan about was the lack of a swimming pool!

Room Tip: Choose the Quaker Annex, it is quiet
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Waring House? Share your experiences!