“My little piece of paradise” 5 of 5 stars

Sandbanks Beach Resort
1818 County Road 12 | R.R. #1, Picton, Ontario K0K 2T0, Canada   |
Ranked #3 of 10 Specialty Lodging in Picton
Ottawa, Canada
“My little piece of paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Our family has been going to this trailer park (Sand Dunes location) for the past four years. It's amazing if you have young children as it is the closest place you can stay to the Provincial Park (3 minute walk through a path to Dunes Beach) and there is a playground in the middle of the park. We always opted for a trailer right in front of the playground so we could relax and read while keeping an eye on the kids. There is also a nice dock you can swim from if you don't feel like the beach some days. West lake is beautiful and the sunsets over the dunes are the best I've seen. The place is very well maintained with about 8 very clean, new rental trailers with the remainder of the park occupied by seasonal renters who own their trailers. It is a very quiet park at night but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy a nice campfire if you keep the noise to a minimum. My favourite thing about this place is how dark and peaceful it is at night - best sleeps ever! And the kids are able to roam free and hang out with the multitude of seasonal and visiting kids. We even get friends to come with us each year which makes it all the more fun - eating and drinking wonderful Prince Edward County food and wine.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Ottawa, Ontario
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

We booked two “tent” sites for six adults (three couples all 26 and 36 year old) for two nights. We were told at booking at this was a family resort and that we would have to be quiet after 11pm. Although we did not go to bed at 11pm, we made sure to keep our voice at a strict minimum and simply chatted around a fire.

Our first initial thought of the place when we arrived Friday was that there is absolutely no privacy. The lots are small and very tight together. There are trees, but not enough to provide shade or privacy.

On our first morning, the Manager came over and told us we had been very quiet and that he was impressed and pleased with us. On the second morning, he came over and yelled at us that we had broken our promise and that he had received complaints from “everyone in the Park” about how loud we were on both nights. Right after the interaction with him, two neighbours, who had heard everything, came over to tell us they hadn’t heard anything. The complaint came from a family, who were also in a tent. Her complaint to us was not that we were loud but that we had our fire running still after midnight and that she could see the shadow in her tent (lots of extremely close to each other).

I would not stay here again, even if I was travelling only with my grand parents. The privacy is pretty much null and I believe that we would have received complaint no matter who I was travelling with. My friends and family are not the type of people to go to bed at 9pm when camping.

I must say, the beach at the resort is nice (hard sand once you pass the rocks) and from what I saw, they take really good care of their grounds as well as great care of the trailers they rent out. The Dunes beach is a few KM’s away and the others are easily accessible by cars, so location is ok. The bathroom facilities are ok. There is a shower and a bathroom with running water. It’s nothing fancy but serves the strict minimum when camping, which is totally acceptable.

Although my own personal experience was poor, I would still recommend this place for families with young children who are VERY quiet and low key and go to bed before 10pm. If your style is to stay up part of the night eating marshmallow on the fire, no matter your age, go somewhere else... This place offers no privacy at all.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

This resort is nice and pleasant IF you have a family and are in bed by midnight. I am in my early 30's, I stayed at this campground for 2 night with two other responsible, young professional couples. We stayed up until 2-3am both nights, quietly having beverages and marshmallows. Music was off. There was no loud talking, laughing or excessive noise. The morning of our departure, the owner confronted me very aggressively. He yelled at me saying that EVERYONE at the campsite had complained to him of our late night rowdiness. This was strange considering the morning after our first night at the campsite, he told us our conduct had been terrific on the first night. He was rude, aggressive and arrogant in his approach. I have been camping at private/public campgrounds for years, I understand the need to respect other people's "quiet time". We were NOT disruptive; several of our close-by neighbours confirmed this to me prior to our departure.
I will not be going back. If you have a family and plan on having a "lights out policy" by 10pm, this place will be fine for you. If not, I strongly suggest you stay away. I am a paying customer. There is no need for aggressive, arrogant, profanity ridden rants conducted by campground Owners. Moreover, this Resort is not geared towards campers in tents. The lots are small, hard, with no privacy at all. This is a trailer park, not a tent campground.

Room Tip: Not a place for tents. This is a trailer park. The tent site offer no pricacy whatsoever.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

We stayed in the #8 cottage one year. The view overlooking west lake across the length of the dunes was breathtaking. The sunsets were fabulous and the owner was very friendly and tried to meet our every request. Great family place - the kids love it.
Next visit we stayed in the century home. It is a huge and beautifully century country home. It was at the top of the resort but we easily walked to the beach in a minute.
Just love the area, the atmosphere, the service, the cleanliness and the warm family oriented environment.
Oh and be prepared to recycle as they are a green resort and very concerned about protecting the environment!

Room Tip: There are two parks so pick the dunes park - it backs on to the provincial park and you can walk rig...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

Throughly enjoyed the Sandbanks Beach Resort, essentially it's a few trailers for rent in the best part of a family RV park (by the water). You can't be closer to the Sandbanks beach, the cottages/trailers are very clean and the owners are great.

The main downside we found is that for all the comforts like satellite TV, gas stove, BBQ, playground, coffee machine...the beds are ancient and hard as a rock. Don't get me wrong SO much better than camping but sleeping was not the most enjoyable part of our stay. If the owners were to upgrade the beds this place would REALLY hit the spot and be a solid value.

Room Tip: The Sunlake and 40D are the best and make your trip so much more walkable to Sandbanks. If you'...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Harvie Heights, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

We spent 4 nights at Sandbanks Beach Resort in one of the trailers. They are clean and comfortable. Bed was good. Its a great place for kids. We parked our car at the trailer and rode our bikes everywhere, to the beach, to the deli, to the restaurant, no driving required. It a ten minute walk to the Dunes beach and probably half an hour to Sandbanks Beach. With a bike you are 15 minutes from all the beaches. Check out the deli near the Park entrance, great coffee, pies and other goodies.

Also had three good days of kiteboarding on Sandbanks Beach with wind up to 25kn. The locals say this is unusual for the summer. Kiting is not allowed at the Dunes beach or at Outlet beach. You can kite West Lake from the Dunes if you hike far enough away from the beach area that the Beach Patrol doesn't want to walk out and hassle you. Just stay well away from all the swimmers and other beach goers.

Room Tip: ask for a newer trailer
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Sandbanks Beach Resort? Share your experiences!