“Don't go - we won't go back” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Buy One Get One FREE!
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Picton
notacritic
“Don't go - we won't go back”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2008

We though this would be a nice place to go and take our two year old grandchild for a little beach holiday. Boy - were we wrong. The rooms are very dated here and the bathroom in the upstairs unit at Lodge 1 was dirty. The bathroom in the downstairs unit had cracked tiles, a leaking toilet and white paint in the sink to cover damage. There were dead bugs on all of the window ledges, behind the kitchen sink and on the floor in the screened deck. The upstairs air conditioner did not work and the downstairs air conditioner had no regulator buttons. A call to reception produced a fan. A group of 4 young men checked in to a cabin across from our unit and made a lot of noise and were drinking heavily well into the early hours - this is supposed to be a family resort. "Brunch" - consisting of prime rib and lasagne was laid out at 8:30 for breakfast and there was no breakfast option but to drive into Picton with a 2 year old. I would not stay here again and would not recommend it. Nice to see that in one of the other reviews the Manager states that he/she "does not read these things".....well - might be time to check it out buddy.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Dirty
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
PictonLanMart, Manager at Isaiah Tubbs Resort, responded to this review, July 22, 2008
As a resort, we welcome guests of all kinds, even guests who may be men coming to an on-site wedding. Admittedly sometimes guests do indulge and actually are here to have a good time. isaiah tubbs is not solely a family resort, however we have hundreds of families each summer, 82% of which are return guests who enjoy our country setting year after year. We can not close rooms due to chipped sinks or tiles, and many of these damages are fixed after the peak season each and every winter. In reference to the above quote, which i might add is not actually a quote, but written in the guests own words, all postings are read by management, but very rarely responded to. Of the 213 guests who rated our resort since May 15th, 153 were good, 41 were excellent, 12 fair and 5 poor, 2 were good +. Perhaps this gives a more accurate idea of the amount of guests we do have that are happy and will return.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
burlington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2008

I understand that this is a campground, in some respects, and that the cottages for rent are intended to be a bit "rustic", but there is a difference between that and just plain dirty. Our cottage seemed as though it hadn't been cleaned between guests, and the bathroom was almost unusable.

Unfortunately, there were no real redeeming features. Prince Edward County is lovely, and there are many reasons to visit, but don't stay here!

• Liked — Very little - rooms are available easily
  • Disliked — Dirty room
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
I must state first that we are in no way a campground as we do not allow camping or trailers here. All accommodations are cleaned between each guest, this is not optional in the hospitality industry. Cottages are very rustic and we do state that upon reservation and on our bayhaven cottages website. The photos are very accurate as to what to expect.
I would assume the redeeming features offered here are the reasons guests choose to stay with us: pool, beach, fantastic restaurant, fabulous view, location to the Sandbanks Provincial Park and close location to many of Prince Edward County's offerings. A country comfortable setting may not be for everyone, but the folks who are looking for a relaxing beach resort, this is the spot to be!
toronto
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2008

I got married at Isaiah Tubbs and can give you a list of issues that arose during the planning process as well as during the wedding weekend itself that would turn your head! Everything from charging our credit cards unauthorized amounts to serving the wrong food, serving our prime rib bloody and cold, to our cake melting cause they left it out all day and oh, no air-conditioning, not providing services stated in their agenda's or their contract, to guest' s of ours not getting the room rate promised and some of our guests didn't have air-conditioning, their ceilings leaked, and the best of all, while they were in their shower, another couple walked in to their room because the Tubbs gave them a key and told them that was their room! We had to delay our honeymoon by 3 days because of their credit card charges and lack of response to our complaints. Some good things and helpful people were the girls at the front desk, the restaurant manager Michelle, and the bar tenders. Upper Management and wedding coordinators were completely unprofessional and unethical and still have not addressed my long list of concerns and complaints.
Your wedding day is the best day of your life! You don't need the stress or disappointment we went through! I would never recommend this so called, "resort" for anything other than pictures outside! The scenery is beautiful and that's it!

• Stayed June 2008
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Oakville Ontario Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2008

Checked into a first floor room and had a wedding party right above us. Finally after calls to the front desk starting at 2am, we had about one hour sleep from 5am to 6am.
Complaints about the noise and music, constant running around that sounded like thunder, were never dealt with.
We came in from Oakville, arrived expecting a nice dinner, were then told that the dining room was full and we would have to go elsewhere.We started looking for a place to eat, tired and disgusted at the quality of the room we were given. Well over $210 per night.
Paid for a jacuzzi room, it was something out of the dark ages, and the room was very well worn, if you get the drift. Talk about bringing your own pillows...let alone the bedspread.
Couldn't wait to check out and our complaint fell on deaf ears.
They love to charge the price, but fail miserably in giving the service.
They should be ashamed to be representing themselves as a resort!!!!
As it is my birthday July 06, we are again ooking for a nice place to spend the weekend and I love the sandbanks.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Ottawa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2008

On Tuesday 17 June/08 we made a reservation to stay at the resort with our 2 children in mid July over a weekend. The reservation was done over the telephone they could not give us a confirmation number at that time because the person that does them does not come in until after 3:00 p.m.. The confirmation number would be faxed to us the next day. The next day came and there was no confirmation number. Not a good sign. On Wednesday our Credit Card was billed $720.00 for the 2 nights we were planning on staying. The confirmation number arrived on Thursday . On Friday, for personal reasons we had decided to cancel the reservation. We called first thing Friday morning (8:00 a.m.). We were advised that there would be no refund according to their cancellation policy. Prior to making the cancellation call I looked on their .com website and the only reference to a cancellation policy was under the FAQ tab which came up in the "About Us" window. There it states $25.00 would be charged if the cancellation was prior to a 2 week window of the reservation date. However, on the confirmation notice it states no refund if after June 11. After discussing this with the manager we have decided there is no other course of action but to realize we are out the $720.00. You know, if the person that took the reservation had advised us of the change to their cancellation policy, things would have been different. When we finally did get advised by way of the confirmation, it was already too late, the $720.00 was already charged to our card.

Is it wise to make a reservation so far in advance thinking that a vacation resort would be really booked up for the 3rd weekend in July. Better yet, who would want to stay at a vacation resort if you could get a room 2 to 3 weeks prior to their busiest part of year.

Heads up on the cancellation policy, I can't help but to think that I was just ripped off for $720.00.

Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
PictonLanMart, Manager - Guest Services at Isaiah Tubbs Resort, responded to this review, July 9, 2008
Normally I don't worry about these type of write ups, however when I read this one, i felt the need to respond. Without going into personal details, I will just simply say that this review is totally inaccurate. We have done no such thing as to keep $720 from someone who canceled their reservation. We always try to figure out a fair agreement with the guest that will be suitable for both of us. Anyone who has traveled knows that there are specific cancellation policies for all resorts (they are much different then hotels & motels in most cases). In closing, this write up is untrue. The final statement in this write up was "I can't help but to think that I was just ripped off for $720.00" -- If in fact we did keep this deposit why would they say "I can't help but to think..."
new york new york
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2008

I booked a room at the Isaiah Tubbs resort last September, figuring that it wouldn't be too busy and I could combine a short business trip with a few relaxing days of vacation. When I chceked in I noticed 2 large bugs in the not very clean whirlpool tub. I called the office to have someone come over and re-clean the tub and get rid of the bugs. The woman on the other end of the phone said that the housekeepers were all gone for the day, and I had to expect bugs in the room because they were in the woods. For $200 a night I expect a clean room free of bugs. I cleaned the tub myself and flushed the bugs down the toilet. The rest of my last stay saw the same lousy housekeeping, a breakfast that no one informed me cost $10, a $10 a day charge for internet service, lousy service in their restaurant, and just an attitude from the staff of "well, you're here now, what are you going to do about it".

I would not have gone back if I didn't have to be in the arae on business, but I thought I would give them another try. My room was filthy, the air conditioner was noisy and didn't put out any cool air, and once again there were bugs in the whirlpool tub. I went back to the office and asked for a clean room with working air conditioning and no bugs. They changed my room to one that looked like no one has stayed in it for a couple of months. It was dusty, the air conditioner didn't work much better, and the tub was filthy. At least there were no bugs. I planned on staying 4 days, but I decided to check out the next morning and take my chances getting a room elsewhere. When I tried to check out they were going to charge me for all 4 days I was supposed to stay. I told them I would pay for 1 night, and if I saw any other charges on my credit card I would dispute them and they agreed to not charge me. I did tell them that I would be writing a review on TripAdvisor.com, the woman said they don't put much stock in those reviews, as they are usually faked.

Do not stay here. Even if it is the only place that has rooms in the Picton area do not stay here. Maybe this place used to be nice 20 years ago, but I have a feeling that the owners either don't care, are resting on their reviews from the past, or just do not have the financing to keep the place looking like it should.

• Disliked — The attitude of the staff.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Peterborough, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2008

My daughter gave my husband and I a gift certificate to this resort for Christmas. We booked a jacuzzi suite with fireplace (rm 117)
It was a wonderful, clean room. I couldn't believe the size of the suite and it actually was a double jacuzzi tub. The room had a small fridge, microwave, coffeemaker and 2 tv's and a dvd player. We wanted a nice quiet relaxing weekend away and that was exactly what we got.
The staff was wonderful and helpful. We had a problem with the tap on the jacuzzi on Friday night and someone was there within 10 minutes to fix it.
The food at the restaurant was excellent and the atmosphere was great.
I look forward to going back again.

• Liked — Clean, large, bright room.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Isaiah Tubbs Resort? Share your experiences!